movie quotes game

Fancy

Cheeky,

An excellent job og solving me riddle! Now, as to yours . . . let me think.

More to come . . .

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Is it "Lawrence of Arabia"? I haven't seen that film in years but it sounds right. Or, wait, is it that old version of "Gunga Din" with Cary Grant? It sounds like something the principal antagonist would say. Can I get a hint, please?

Ah-HAH! Well, I can't take credit for this one, my buddy Iron Roger Kidd came up with the answer - "Orlando." Let me know if I'm correct!

Blackbead

Well, either Cheeky isn't around or she doesn't check in on this post, so I say go ahead and post another quote, Blackbead. Otherwise this thing just dies again.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Yes, but I love it and nurture and hope someday to see it grow and flower into something more beautiful...

Actually that's BS. I wish I could post a quote... :(

I wonder what happened to Fancy? I sort of brought her over here from another forum.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Is that from Beetlejuice?

"One...big...dark...room."

Mission - I know you are correct. Let's say that if you don't hear back from the person who put the quote up in 24 hours but you do have confirmation from someone else in the thread then you can go ahead and put up a new quote. I think one of the things that kills off the thread is that we are all trying to be nice and wait to hear from the person who started a quote. This way, with confirmation from ANYONE else, you won't wait. What says the thread??

Blackbead

Seems like a good rule. In fact, knowing I do not know a quote often means I will look it up on Google, so I frequently know the right answer. I'll be happy to confirm a guess when I don't know the quote and I cheat. (I don't guess when I cheat.)

I know I am correct too. My first Haunted House haunt role was Beetlejuice back in '92 - so I watched that movie literally dozens of times to observe Keaton's mannerisms and pick out some of the less popularized lines. Plus it's a funny movie. The best part of the quote is the way she says it... one...big...dark...room. :(

Anyhow...that actually makes it your turn, Blackbead. (Even though I've got a quote burning a hole in my ST memory...)

Jim!!!!!! :P

woah...Mr. Hawkins ya Pirate...where ye been?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I don't really think I deserve this to be my turn but to get things going again, here's a long but easy one:

"In the Roman civil war, Julius Caesar knew he had to march on Rome, which no legion was permitted to do. Marcus Lucanus left us a chronicle of what happened. "How swiftly Caesar has smoted the mighty alps and in his mind conceived immense upheavals in the coming war. When he reached the water of the little Rubicon, clearly to the leader through the murky night appeared a mighty image of his country in distress. Grief in her face, her white hair streaming from her tower crowned head. With tresses torn and shoulders bare, she stood before him and sighing said, "Where further do you march? Where do you take my standards warriors? If lawfully you come, if as citizens, this far only is allowed." Then trembling struck the leader's limbs, his hair grew stiff and weakness checked his progress, holding his feet at the rivers edge. At last he speaks, "Oh Thunderer, surveying Rome's walls from the Tarpeian Rock. Oh Phrygian and House gods of Ulysses, Clan and Mystery of Quirinus who was carried off to heaven. Oh Jupiter of Latium seated in lofty Alda and House of Vespa. Oh Rome, equal to the highest deity, favor my plans! Not with envious weapons do I pursue you. Here am I, Caesar, your own soldier everywhere. Now too, if I am permitted, the man who makes ME your enemy, it is he who will be the guilty one." Then he broke the barrier of war and through the swollen river swiftly took his standards. Caesar crossed the flood and reached the opposite bank. From Hisparie's Forbidden Fields he took his standards said, "Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!"

Not a great movie but it definitely had some great moments.

Blackbead

Hmm, Graydog, I be agreein' with ya....or perhaps it is from Gettysburgh??

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Using our newfound rule, I looked it up and Graydog is right.

Your turn, Graydog.

Here we go:

"You tell the general I'm willing to discuss the terms of surrender. You tell him; if he'll order his men to put down their weapons and line up, I'll take them to Sam Houston and I'll try my best to save most of them. That said; Sam's a mite twitchy, so no promises. "

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

WAG: The Alamo?

LOL, now I have to say, which one? There are at least two movies with that name! Then again no need to nit-pick, yer turn. Yes, The Alamo

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I think it was Lon Tinkle (no joke) who first wrote about a diary of one of Santa Anna's officers that claimed that Crockett and several others were taken prisoner and then executed after the battle. Supposedly, Santa Anna offered them a chance to live if they would grovel to him and none of them took it. It's hard to say whether this is the truth or not - there are several passages in this diary that don't jive with other known facts and there is the argument that the officer was trying to make himself and the Mexican Army look better. Regardless, it is an interesting topic of discussion for historians interested in the Lone Star State and Davy Crockett.

What's next, Mission?

Now there's a bit of the old twist of fate - Mission gets the answer correctly and the Alamo was a mission before the battle . . .

Blackbead

WAG = Wild Assed Guess. :lol: (I confess, I have not seen this movie, but I know what part Sam Houston played in history and I remember the trailers for the Thorton movie.)

Ok, now I get to reveal my long held quote...

"I've got a gun rack in my Chevy

For when the surf and the flak get heavy

And we'll have fun with our guns

'Til our lifeguard takes our ammo away."

Top Secret!

Yes, Red-Handed Jill, it was the Billy Bob Throton version of the Alamo. I thought Billy Bob had a dead on portrayal of Davy Crockette, plus he was the right age being 50 years old.

Top Secret!

Yep. Great flick. (Everyone sing it!)