movie quotes game

Fancy

Perhaps it is time to remind everyone about the guildlines of the movie quotes thread.

In order to reduce confusion, there is only one active quote at a time. In order to keep things moving, if your quote doesn't get guessed in the course of a day or so, post what it is from and start a new one.

To be the poster of quote you need to be the first to identify the previous quote correctly.

So by my tally we have quote from Cpt Sophia M Eisley:

"I sweat, and you're deaf. Aren't we a fine pair of misfits?"

Oh look, someone dropped a thread... (picks it up, dusts it off)... ahem... shall we start anew?
My story starts at sea... a perilous voyage to an unknown land... a shipwreck... the wild waters roar and heave... the brave vessel is dashed all to pieces, and all the helpless souls within her drowned... all save one... a lady... whose soul is greater than the ocean... and her spirit stronger than the sea's embrace... not for her a watery end, but a new life beginning on a stranger shore. It will be a love story... for she will be my heroine for all time. And her name will be Viola.

Oh, I know this one...Shakespeare In Love!

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

Ok, to quote Conan, "enough talk!" Or, in this case... enough time. Caraccioli, feel free to delete this post of you feel more time is warranted; if not, here's the next quote:

Never show anyone. They'll beg you and flatter you for the secret, but as soon as you give it up, you'll be nothing to them... The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

(dude! awesome quote man!)

:rolleyes:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

My story starts at sea... a perilous voyage to an unknown land... a shipwreck... the wild waters roar and heave... the brave vessel is dashed all to pieces, and all the helpless souls within her drowned... all save one... a lady... whose soul is greater than the ocean... and her spirit stronger than the sea's embrace... not for her a watery end, but a new life beginning on a stranger shore. It will be a love story... for she will be my heroine for all time. And her name will be Viola.

Oh, I know this one...Shakespeare In Love!

Based on this post (and having heard about this film about a hundred times in the past on the 'net), I decided to watch this film. It's quite good! I thought everyone was really good, but Gwyneth Paltrow was particularly so. (And I kept looking at Ben Affleck and thinking, "That's Ben Affleck! No, it isn't! Yes, it is! No, it isn't...") Well worth the time spent watching it.

Now I want to see George Lucas in Love. :blink:

Blackjohn, your quote (which is fine with me...if we go too long without a quote this thread dies) is either from a multi-layered somewhat philosophical film like Ran or some half-layered, completely negligible film like Starsky and Hutch. ("Hey, this'd be a great line for Huggy Bear!")

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

VERY multi-layered. I just finished watching it yesterday and it blew my socks off! I need to re-watch it. Which means I might as well buy the thing.

A hint... Tesla!

Glad you liked SiL. I think the writing in that film is brilliant!

The quote to be guessed at, again:

Never show anyone. They'll beg you and flatter you for the secret, but as soon as you give it up, you'll be nothing to them... The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

That makes it your turn to offer us a quote to guess.

Oops. I missed my chance. :D Serves me right for not looking at the forum yesterday.

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

Yep! Love it. It really starts the whole scifi theme of science wants to study it, the military wants to kill it.....more quotes from it:

There are no enemies in science, only phenomena to be studied.

Knowledge is more important than life.

Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot.

Your turn!

• 2 weeks later...

Damnation Alley?

Wait that can't be right the guy was bringing drugs in that one and I don't think it was ever a pinball game...

Was it something else with two words starting with D?

Yes, William obviously got it right. I don't know his quote, but it'd be a good line for Bad Santa.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...