Working Knives

capnwilliam

Yes, I know: whatever they could get get their hands on.

But what I'm really interested in what sort of knives pirates, and seamen in general, might have carried in the 1700 - 1820 era(s).

Fixed blade or folders? If they had folders, single or multiple blades? Is it true that merchant/naval seamen (not pirates, of course) were issued and required to carry only blades that lacked a point, like a sheepsfoot? (I've heard this was done for safety reasons aboard a rolling vessel; also to give the mate before the mast a less-efficient weapon, lest he try to use it in a fight, or a mutiny).

What blade lengths were popular? What handle materials? Does anyone have pics? References?

:unsure:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 2 weeks later...

capt'n. I know they carried an all around knife. It was utility knife and mess knife in one. most sailors also carried a marlin spike as well. I think i saw a set on a site. I'll email you when i find it.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

The folding jackknife appeared in the 17th century and quickly became a favorite with sailors as well as others, so pirates probably had them, too. Working knives of that time usually differed little from kitchen knives. A plain, wooden-handled boning knife from a traditional company like Chicago Cutlery would be perfect for a pirate outfit. I think they still make their blades from carbon steel, so they'll take on a nice, dark patina after a little use.

Well, I suppose it depends when you're speaking about. 16th century and early 17th, the bollock knife was the working knife. They found a couple of dozen on the Mary Rose. Some double edged, some single, various grip materials. This was the ancester of the Scots dirk.

After that, the so called trade knife became common. Single edge, a variey of point styles and slab grips. Advantage is that the grip does not extend outwards of the blade, so the sheath can be made to take most of the hilt, too. Sure helps keep the knife where it belongs.

I've got variations of both, depending on what period I'm doing. The trade knife is probably more useful, but the bollock works pretty well too, and has a nice unique look to it.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Chicago Cutlery, aye, that sounds like a good source!

I'm lookin' into having a mate who does forge work make me a simple fixed blade piece, with about a four inch blade with a squared-off point, and a wooden handle.

Also, Okapi, a South African company, makes an inexpensive folder with a sheepsfoot blade. I'm not sure how "period" it looks, though; has anyone seen one?

Capt. William

• 3 weeks later...

Patina is a fine green rust that covers bronze and brass.

I came across a right pretty lookin' working clasp knife, mates! It's modeled after a Civil War Union Navy piece; bone handled, with a squared-off point (NOT a modern sheepfoot),

Where, say ye? Go to the "Ship's Company" reenactors website. And no, I've not actually seen one in the flesh, but it looked great in the pic.

:ph34r:

Capt. William

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been able to put enough plunder together ($45.00) for the Civil War Navy clasp knife: but, I did order and receive a nice wooden-handled sailors clasp knife.

From where? RAGNAR's RAGWEED FORGE.

For now much? A mere $6.00! And I paid an extra $3.00 to have a good working edge put on it (otherwise, Ragnar says, for $6.00 they come unsharpened).

Now, this should delight any poor pirate who wants a nice working knife, whether for use or for show.

:)

Capt. William

I've not been able to put enough plunder together ($45.00) for the Civil War Navy clasp knife: but, I did order and receive a nice wooden-handled sailors clasp knife.

From where? RAGNAR's RAGWEED FORGE.

For now much? A mere $6.00! And I paid an extra $3.00 to have a good working edge put on it (otherwise, Ragnar says, for $6.00 they come unsharpened).

Capt. William,

Might ye have a link t' th' knife ye mentioned?

---Mick MacAnselan

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

While patina is particularly associated with the green oxidation on copper and it's allies as capnwilliam notes, it more generally refers to any sort of film that forms on an object over time, but one that is in some way attractive and desirable.

John is I think referring to such a patina on steel, of the sort you'd find on an old kitchen knife or gun--not blatant, active rust; just a nice aging effect.

The Okapi knives can be seen at their site: http://www.okapi-knives.com/