What does your user name mean?

Mission

What is the origin of my name be more the question than what it means, because it really doesn’t mean anything. But, its beginnings go back a few years when I started online role-playing; I had about eight characters going and one of which was a female elf by the name of Firethorn. The name I found on a local gift shop and I thought it would make a great moniker, hence Firethorn was born.

When that site kinda died I moved on to another and I signed on as Firethorn and gave birth to a rogue type character by the name Wilcox Firethorn, which I still play as a ranger type.

When I was directed to this site by our wondrous MerryDeath, I just brought Wil along and turned him into a Pirate.

...and so here I am. :lol:

wil22.gif

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a strange story, and probably isn't funny unless you were in on it at the beginning.

We all know the old rhyme which starts, "One crow for sorrow..."

There was a time in my life when, everywhere I went, it seemed that I saw one crow everywhere I went, and I started feeling a little bit paranoid. I complained to my hub that they were following me! The funny thing is, that he started seeing them, too. It seemed like they were actually posting sentries and passing reports along a line wherever I went...I mean, their actions looked this way. So we started joking that they were actually my bodyguards, sent to keep an eye on me because I was their chosen leader. But I didn't like the name Crow Queen, and I'm actually rather proud of the fact that I'm a mother, so I chose Mother Crow.

Boy, I hope that's not as boring as it seems.

The name crow seems to have followed me for some years now the name were given to me by me best friend an it just sort of stuck . My hair colour at the tyme were black that seems to be changin though , and the fact that I have a fondness fer shiny objects and I suppose the fact that I'll eat near about anything . It could also be influenced be me singin voice although to me it seems fine after a wee bit of rum .

Being involved in fur trade buckskinning the name just seems to fit an so Crow I am in real life an otherwise . :)

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Me name is jus me. It was taken from the Muppet character Animal . I be jus like 'im, never predictable and always having ter be chained by da neck wit a collar. Most women seem to find me cuddily. Can't figure that one.

Animal

:huh:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Well, then. Let's give it a go to try and explain the genesis of Ol' Jack. I recall being raised in Devonshire, of a well to do family. I had a fine education, being an exemplary student in me classes. Me teachers had a devil of a time keeping up with your's truly, and I was branded a bad seed due to their incompetence. I hung on long enough to humiliate the head master of me school, and he kicked me out, rather abruptly.

Having no where else to turn, I plyed me trade on the wharfs, scamming innocent marks of their money. When the chance to set sail on a merchant ship became available, I jumped at the chance.

Life was hard upon that ship. The captain, an ill-bred Englishman, was a cruel master. After an especially difficult passage off Gibraltar, a number of us rose up against the Captain, and siezed the ship over the blood of our former master. Yours truly was elected Captain of the ship, which I, against all popular notion, renamed the "Apollo".

We've sailed the Caribbean nigh on 15 years. Our take has been plentiful, but I admit that after all this time, I cannot recall me own last name. I'm Mad Jack, for all what need to know who I am. I neither know, nor care what me last name was. Plunder and rum are what subsist me now. And that it shall be 'til I draw me last breath.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

• 3 weeks later...

Well that is pretty simple...sometimes best t' keep it that way HistoryFool24! :)

As fer my name...well that's a story and a half. So 'ere be the short form of it....

Back about 6 years ago or so I was just simply known as Kalum...then one day on the battlefield at Pennsic I suffered an injury to me eye amidst the chaos. Somehow a piece of splintered rattan entered my helm and nearly took out my entire eye. I was fortunate though and only suffered minor damages.

Later that evening I wandered back into my camp. After taking off the bandage someone caught my attention and I spun aruond to find out what they wanted. I don't quite know if it was just the lighting of the campfire or the crazed look on my face or possibly just the swollen and redness of the entire situation (I'll save the gory bits), but everyone facing me yelled out "Holy shite! His eye has gone mad!" The entire night and the rest of Pennsic that year everyone just called me "Mad Eye".

The captain part came a couple years later after I started up me own crew for The Maleficent.

So that be the story...not too much petting....just dumb luck B)

Now Mad Eye, all this tyme me thoughts it was from all the pettin ya were doin. That be more plausable ta me. Haha!!!

Hawks in me name isn I ave the eyes of one I been told. Can sees a ship on the horizon where others be needin a spyglass. :)

Shoots anything that moves!!

Now Mad Eye, all this tyme me thoughts it was from all the pettin ya were doin. That be more plausable ta me. Haha!!!

Yea well I likes the pettin' story meself. So I'll prolly be stickin' t' that unless threads like this pop up where I gotta e'plain it fully. :lol:

See, ya mean explainin it fully the other way would be to detailed? I cana see that it might get a bit more then PG. Just keep in mind who started that pirate pettin zoo fer ya. Now, wheres that picture again of that real mad eye guy. Ya could be usin em as a visual aid on not what ta do ta be gettin that way.

Shoots anything that moves!!

Interesting thread going here. I've enjoyed reading it so I thought I'd add my info to it.

How I decided on my name is pretty simple.

My name is my great-grandmothers name... Katherine Adams and her nickname was Kat. She was a Cherokee-Blackfoot that married a Scotsman named Robert Adams. (her white name was actually Anna Katherine Knepp... Indian name was White Flower) My "Indian" name is White Feather and I was told as a child that I was very much like her in so many ways that I decided to adopt her name for online and also for my faire persona.

• 1 month later...

I see several new folks around...let's drag this up from the depths.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

'Tis a great post.

I've grown up on the water for the last 33 years. Had numerous vessels under my "command" in that time. I've spent some time doing SAR and Investigations through our local marine police, hence the "Captain".

The initials are from my grandfather who taught me how to sail off Cape Cod.

Our last name comes from the Sheriff who oversaw King Richard's lands as he fought in the Crusades, the "warden of the woods". As I have researched my family, I have also found that our name is actually a derivation of the "Wydard Knight", a portrature in the Bayeux tapestry.

:ph34r:

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Excellent thread...

A'right, my name...

'nuther SCAdian 'ere...

Back in '87 I joined our local group, and needed a name...

Lasseter came first, No I didn't get it from a Tom Sellick move "Lassiter"... Tho I see most folks misspell it as such.

I was at a forign film festival and one of the directors last names was Lasseter, it caught my eye....

Dorian came a year later... I friend who is a Micheal Moorcock fan sorta named me after Dorian Hawkmoon - even tho at the time I looked more like another character, Elric of Melnibone'....

So Dorian Lasseter was 'born'....

Now onto th' reenactor part... I usually don't use this name for reenactment, I use a modified historical version of my given name...

Kitt O'Madain or O'Madden whichever spelling ye likes... 'Nuff o' tha'...

Dorian started as a persona in the SCA...

Born in Scottland (where exactly, I've kept vague), he was the 2nd son of a shipwright, learned the trade and helped his father in the 'yard.

Once of an age he set out to make his way in the world, was conscripted into HRH's Army as a musketeer, but soon found himself aboard ships more than on land. When peace was declared (What war? again lets keep it vague) he took up life at sea, worked on many merchant ships, and through certain luck, worked his way up to Captain of a ship and was granted a Letter of Reprisal (Letter of Marque) By HRH or England...

This was some time ago (and another story... I actually was given a Letter of Marque in the local SCA Navy)

Now I's just happy ta be out n' about in th' world...

My apologies fer the blatherin'... Din't know I was soo long-winded....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

OK Matey's John is my real name, the Shipwreck comes from a fishing experience in February of 04 when I set out for a little adventure of the The coast of Taylor County, Fl. The water is really rather shallow, mostly flats, and my "ship" is more of a dingy. A 14 ft Chenoe she be, not a good thing to have on the open water. Well to make it short, the fog came in the tide started going out and my trolling motor was about to die. I finally made in to shore, but I was almost beached four times. It is sort of a fitting name to say the least, being that I almost do something simular every time.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

I have shared this story before, but for those who are new thiw may seem interesting.

My real name is Shana. I was part of thr 2002 Bay Area Renissance Fest. I am also in a wheelchair and for that reason ( along with my long hair) I got the part of a mermaid, (as part of the whole mid summer nights dream kinda feel.

The name Kendra means water baby magical. though the experience with the tail is hard it was all worth it. I have finished a novle about her and am in the process of two more!Wheelchair diaries you can go to my web page and learn more clik on "The many faces of me" and you will also see pics of me in my fishtail!!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

So now you know. I am a female impersonating a male pirate who also happens to look like Johnny Depp when dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Awesome!! So I'm not the only gal working on a Jack Sparrow costume ... :)

The "Savvy" part of m' name, I'm sure you'll all find self-explanatory. I chose "Charlotte" as a first name from Charlotte Doyle, the heroine of Avi's YA novel "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle." It's one of my favorite books of all time (even though I be, technically speaking, too old for YA novels. But I love that book nonetheless!) ... I really admire Charlotte's character, and can very much relate to her -- and it's a story that takes place on the sea. When it came time to pick a piratical handle for m'self, using Charlotte's name seemed a natural idea.

I was originally "Charlotte Doyle" on this board ... but then I decided m' name needed a bit more of a Sparrowific influence. So the "Doyle" was changed to "Savvy."

As for the "Captain" bit, well ... when I changed m' name, I decided to give m'self a promotion in the process. :lol:

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg