What does your user name mean?

Mission

I see a recurring motif here of using existing or former nicknames as pyratical monikers.

My actual given name is Jill (which makes the fact that my other half's name is Jack amusing to some folks. And hey - my brother's name is Jack as well.) The "Red-Handed" part is from Peter Pan.

RHJMap.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wot does me user name mean? It means I wasn't clever enough to come up with a meaningfully deep or witty pirate name....

Okie dokie - here goes the tale...(or 'tail', if you prefer...)

My first name is Deirdre - but no one can pronounce 'Deirdre', now, can they? Nope. Instead they call me DEEdra (GAG!), or Desiree, or Debra, or...like on my wedding day - DERRIERE ;) (Mr. Das still hasn't forgiven the MC for THAT one...)...soooooo...

Trying to be helpful, I just tell people to call me 'Dee'. But alas, even that proves too difficult for some, who inevitably respond with, "What? BEA??" To which I reply, "No. 'Dee'...as in Danger". (Think: 'A' as in 'Alpha', 'B' as in 'Bravo', etc...)

So I just squished it all together into 'dasNdanger'...

But instead of 'Dee', most folks on-line just call me 'das'...and if yer not sure how to pronounce THAT, I've been told it rythmes with 'ass'...so feel free...

(and NO, I don't mean free feelies...)

;)

das

What does me name mean???? We do Halloween big time here at our dwelling. A year after we moved here we we really went all out and decorated (been about 8 years now). I held a "halloween hunt" for a bunch of the kids in the neighborhood. It was a hunt for rubber gloves filled with goodies hidden all over the yard, including the graveyard. When I sent out the invitations, I signed them "The Mad Woman of Wendover" (Wendover being the street we live on). I played that I was quite mad when I met them. "Come into the graveyahd, awl me friends ahr in there.....I hears them talk t'me I doos....." (While holding a candle lit lantern in one hand and a skull in the other..)

I have been "Mad Woman" ever since...and Cheryl is me real name.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

Wot does me user name mean? It means I wasn't clever enough to come up with a meaningfully deep or witty pirate name....

Okie dokie - here goes the tale...(or 'tail', if you prefer...)

My first name is Deirdre - but no one can pronounce 'Deirdre', now, can they? Nope. Instead they call me DEEdra (GAG!), or Desiree, or Debra, or...like on my wedding day - DERRIERE ;) (Mr. Das still hasn't forgiven the MC for THAT one...)...soooooo...

Trying to be helpful, I just tell people to call me 'Dee'. But alas, even that proves too difficult for some, who inevitably respond with, "What? BEA??" To which I reply, "No. 'Dee'...as in Danger". (Think: 'A' as in 'Alpha', 'B' as in 'Bravo', etc...)

But instead of 'Dee', most folks on-line just call me 'das'...and if yer not sure how to pronounce THAT, I've been told it rythmes with 'ass'...so feel free...

(and NO, I don't mean free feelies...)

;)

das

Hmm. When ever I used to read your name I would slur it together and come up with "Dee's Ass in Danger" Sort of like reading a personalized liscense plate and rather the opposite of what you intended I think.

My nick name is related to when I was about 10 years old and learning to fly. At that time in life I thought the Beech Duke was the best plane ever (an opinion I've since revised, my tastes run to older airplanes and a different sort of flying, though it's still a great plane) and I wanted to be the Duchess and the Duke. Ah me 10 year old brain thought that was great. And me parents teased me to no end about it.

Duchess

Laughing my das -- I mean my ass -- off at dasNdanger's posting!

;)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

My first name is Deirdre - but no one can pronounce 'Deirdre', now, can they?

;) i love them name dierdre! it's one of my faves and i do know how to pronounce it! after your explanation, it's every easy to see how you got you name! ;)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

That's awesome! I love it!! :)

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Many people's user names are pretty straight-forward, but some of them appear to have some history or other meaning behind them. So what does your user name mean? (Fancy, I expect full disclosure from you.  :huh: )

Why, Mission, my dear friend... I've told you time and time again :huh: , Fancy is the name of a pirate ship, Henry Avery's pirate ship, dontchaknow. (Shhhh.)

Fancy

Fancy is the name of a pirate ship, Henry Avery's pirate ship, dontchaknow.

:huh:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not sure if anyone will end up reading this old post, but if ye must know, 'ere goes:

"Hetha" Danish for 'heath dweller' or 'heathen'

variants: "hedda" Teutonic for 'war'

or"Hethla" the Gaelic variant, meaning 'hearth'

or modern variant,"Hettie" a nickname of the former.

I've carried this name around for many years, through many faires, and even in private, my close friends still call me by these variants of the name. It struck me as a fiery, sharp-tongued, witty persona, whose charm is that of a thistle! My namesake, I understand, through many years of research, into the Viking Era, had much in common with me, and the name suits. I've carried several titles attached to it, but prefer none of them. I've been known as "Jarless Hetha," "Jarless Boann," pronounced (boo-ann), "Hetha the Red,"

"Lady Hetha," I've also been known as "Drakkarwulf," and more unpleasant nicks, associated with my namesake, "The Castrator," among them. "Queen Hetha," was merely a title, part of a job. So, in summation, I just shortened all my titles, trimmed them off, as Vikings didn't usually have surnames, just nicknames attached later, associated with an aspect of them. I prefer Hetha or Hettie, when being addressed.

How it relates to pyracy, weeelll! So glad ye ask'd m'!! Hetha, an Irish-born-Dane,in the late 9th to the early 10th century,(attendant in the 'Bravic War' circa 940 C.E.) was a well known enterpreneural shipping mogul, of her time. She inherited her father's (Jarl Connor Boann, Harald Hardrada's Irish Ambassador)estate, business and title, directly

from him, and expanded her shipping empire considerably. Along with her cousin Wisna, they became the richest sea captains, hailed from the Schleisvig-Hedeby trade district. (Some insist they smuggled whole ships) Later, Hetha and Wisna, along with Webiorg,(Hetha's skialdmaer) earned reknown at the Battle of Bravalla, or 'Bravallir' ie, the 'Bravic War' for casting aside their breastplates, and exposing themselves to the enemy Swedes, so they would be insulted, that they were killed by women. Afterwards, Hetha was entreated to rule the remaining islands of the Danelaw. Her rulership, lasted longer, than Saxo states in his book, and he was incorrect about some details concerning King Oli, a petty king from Gotland.

OOps! That was my outside voice;)!

"Big on self-reliance and personal responsibility. Down on culture of victimology. Nobody owes you a thing and life isn't always fair. Spend a little more time being grateful and less time bitching and you just might find a smile replacing that scowl. Being miserable doesn't make you 'deep;' it makes you insufferable."-The Thirsty Celt

Hetha12.jpg

~Sail it like you stole it!~

"Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver"

Not sure if anyone will end up reading this old post

What?! Like CaptainCiaran, I think it's fascinating. I think you can tell a lot about some people by the name they choose and the reason they chose it. In fact, I have probably asked this question on just about every board I've hung around. Very interesting, like a story unto itself.

This board has some of the most fascinating histories behind user names I have ever seen. Probably due, in part, to the fact that many people here are re-enactors with vivid backstories. I find Duchess' explanation quite fascinating, cleverly invented at the young age of 10. (I love plays on words that have multiple layers.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

No offense meant, on my part, but in other forums and boards, that have asked before, I've told them, and no one seemed interested, as you have. Of course those boards and forums, weren't as interesting as this one, and piracy was not the theme or mainstay. I do find the backgrounds and histories, behind the names posted 'ere on this forum to be quite phenomenal! :huh: Very original, and full of interesting and fascinating detail!

:)

"Big on self-reliance and personal responsibility. Down on culture of victimology. Nobody owes you a thing and life isn't always fair. Spend a little more time being grateful and less time bitching and you just might find a smile replacing that scowl. Being miserable doesn't make you 'deep;' it makes you insufferable."-The Thirsty Celt

Hetha12.jpg

Hmm. When ever I used to read your name I would slur it together and come up with "Dee's Ass in Danger" Sort of like reading a personalized liscense plate and rather the opposite of what you intended I think.

Duchess

Baawaaahhaaaaaaa! Yup, Mr. Smith never had it so funny! (she uses the Smith title over at CB) :lol:

Rumba

** :lol: **

Hetha Posted on Mar 28 2005, 12:16 PM

No offense meant, on my part, but in other forums and boards, that have asked before, I've told them, and no one seemed interested, as you have. Of course those boards and forums, weren't as interesting as this one, and piracy was not the theme or mainstay.

I gotta agree with Mission... very interesting, and it makes a person's persona more interesting when there is a good story behind their name...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Lorien Fiona Stormfeather (the name is an alias of course) is a friend to the Pyrates of Portlandia

(PDX Pirates:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pdxpirate).

I escaped from Scotland to the New World to avoid certain death for being a suspected Pagan and vocal anti-trinitarian along with my Privateer husband (Richard-the-Black). I have been known to commandeer entire ships at swordpoint and teach everyone onboard macramae, make them sing silly sea shanties and sign the articles all whilst serving tea. I'm oft found at Faire with B.O.O.M and tossin' bunnies at the scallywags known as Bogg and Salty.

Lorien=

(add an "N" to my mundane nickname) happened while in Jr. High reading Tolkein and stuck. The "n" can also mean "and".

Fiona= has something to do with a certain green frog captain and a Samhain portrayal of an ogress.

Storm= My mundane middlename is Gayle

feather= My last name is MacInleister (in Gaelic) and they were arrow makers to the MacGregors

One more ancedote:

Started workin' in vain on a legal SCA name last year and nothin' seemed right. I shared my woe with the local Scribe who was happy to take 10 schillings and ferget about my "SCA legal" name!

Welcome to Dragon's Mist, Ms. Stormfeather! :D

I'm even listed in the Domesday Book! Pirate!!!!

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

Wow! That's really cool, lorien. Very fitting and quite interesting! :D

Hetha12.jpg

It be an honor to train thee,*pulling out broadsword gently and tapping each of lorien's shoulder's* I now dub thee Skialdmaer Lorien Stormfeather! Rise and be recognized!

:D Huzzah! Hail to Lorien, Honorary Skialdmaer to Hetha!

Ye'll make a fine one indeed! *I whisper*Come see me at the Dragon & Tiger Den later, for yer first lesson.(located in"The Way to a Pyrate's Heart")

Hetha12.jpg

I find the names, and the whole persona development thing fascinating.

I had my persona before my name. Among many other botanical subjects, I actually have worked on poisonous plants (this work is aimed at AVOIDING poisoning I should add). So I figured my pirate character could have a criminal history as a poisoner who mostly used poisonous plants. I worked on a few permutations of names that might be applied to a woman arrested for the poisoning of her husband (since that was a key event in the life of my character - what induced her to go to sea).

I have used the name "atropa" in my email address for many years (Atropa belladonna is the botanical name for deadly nightshade), so belladonna came to mind quite easily. And Bess was just nicely alliterative.

It has definitely stuck, and now "Belladonna" has become the name I use when I'm being a bellydancer.

The last name, Harrow, was a suggestion of one of the other crew members. It isn't so much the meaning of the name, but the associations of the word "harrowing" that make it suit.

The full name is Captain Belladonna Bess Harrow. I became captain accidentally because other crew members thought a character like Belladonna Bess would have to be at the top or she would make too much trouble. It has nothing to do with leadership of the group I belong to, it is just the character.

Belladonna- A foine name and a good story, lass. May I confer with ye? Richard-the-Black's back in port and acting a bit annoyed with me cavorting with the gunner of the Black Rose while he was at sea. Would ye share some of yer herbs with the likes of me? I have this really foine fancy work to trade for the right tincture. :) Don't want to kill 'em, yet! Just a sleepin' potion will do, so I can get 'em aboard the next south bound frigate without a fuss..

Now that be a challenge. Ye want a NON-fatal brew?

While not entirely outside Belladonna Bess's area of expertise, she is rather unreliable when it comes to non-fatal substances.

Actually I think the solution to yer problem be nothing to do with herbs. Undo a couple of the buttons on yer blouse and tighten up yer corset. It's not playin' fair, I know, but there's no point in bein' a pirate if ye have to play fair!

The difference between me and you luv, is that I'd rather love em and you'd rather kill em! B)

My olde black Scot is always grumpy when on land. Isn't anything new. Are you suggesting that I put his deadlights out with more cleavage? Or were you suggesting tighten me corset and leavin' it on? BTW:The rule works both ways doesn't it...aren't we ALL single past Gibralter??? !

B)

Enuf 'bout me and them and Belladonna. Let's hear some more stories!

Jack2 is the name I chose because my father's nickname is Jack. (His given name is John) He and I have done a lot of sailing in very small boats on the lakes of New York and New Jersey over the years. He was also in the US Navy.

I also chose this name because I am fascinated with women who have dressed as men throughout history in order to make a living or defend their country. They were even pirates! There were not many options open to them before the middle of the 20th century.

Here is a web site with more information on these exceptional females. http://www.cindyvallar.com/womenpirates.html

So now you know. I am a female impersonating a male pirate who also happens to look like Johnny Depp when dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow.

:lol: