Pirate Swords

Capt. Flint

I was looking for a fairly good pirate style cutlass to use at reinactments. I have found several very cheap pieces that will not stand up to even stage combat. I also found a few somewhat expensive pieces that will. ie.... museam, replica... I was hopeing that mabye someone knows where I can get a fairly good blade, that will withstand the rigors of stage fighting on a beach, for a fairly good price. Thanks... The Capt.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I've had a similar concern. Museum Replicas makes some gorgeous stuff, but who makes a battle-ready, rough'n'ready pirate sword? Museum Replica's cutlass is was too fancy for your average scalliwag.

Inexpensive would be nice, too.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Well, I know of one good source for stage blades. They be not cheap, but they be rough, rugged, and guaranteed fer life.

www.legacyforge.net be their website, and their cutlass runs $350 fer a 29 inch beauty. The worth is in the guarantee...as long as ye don't try to sharpen or etch their blades, they'll replace a broken blade. One day I shall be able to afford the collection I crave...

Capt. Donovan Bledsoe

I was looking for a fairly good pirate style cutlass to use at reinactments. I have found several very cheap pieces that will not stand up to even stage combat. I also found a few somewhat expensive pieces that will. ie.... museam, replica... I was hopeing that mabye someone knows where I can get a fairly good blade, that will withstand the rigors of stage fighting on a beach, for a fairly good price.  Thanks... The Capt.

Knights Edge has a nice serrates German cutlass for $180.

http://www.knightsedge.com

I am about to get one of these for myself.

I have the pirate cutlass from Museum Replicas, and according to them, it's stage combat ready. But I don't use it for that (don't want to get it all scratched up!!). It has a nice balance. But if there are less expensive blades out there, I'm interested in them too. Looking for swords that don't look too much like they're from a later period. (Many of the ones sold as pirate cutlasses on eBay are actually Civil War era sabres. Oy!)

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I just noticed that Museum Replicas has a second cutlass on their website that's not in their paper catalog. It's a dutch cutlass, is supposed to be battle ready (like all their stuff,) and is only priced at $169 - which is pretty good for a functional sword. Here's the link, if you're interested. :rolleyes:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I was recently doing some research on sources for pirate blades (Which we hope to carry in the near future). In me search, I came upon this image of, what was listed in the auction as a "17th Century Caribbean Cutlass".

17thcen_cutlass.jpg

If memory be serve'n me, it went fer over $500.00.

Fair Winds & Rich Plunder to Ye,

Long Steve

I have the pirate cutlass from Museum Replicas, and according to them, it's stage combat ready. But I don't use it for that (don't want to get it all scratched up!!). It has a nice balance. But if there are less expensive blades out there, I'm interested in them too. Looking for swords that don't look too much like they're from a later period. (Many of the ones sold as pirate cutlasses on eBay are actually Civil War era sabres. Oy!)

Don't want to get yer sword all scratched up ?, what kind of a pirate are ye? A true pirate's sword should be rusty an' coverd wi' blood an' gore. Ye sound's like one of these freshwater swabs who wears clean clothes, an insists on taking a bath at least once a year!

But anyway if ye's looking for a good re-enactment blade, ye should try:

Armour Class

Unit 15, Block 5

New Albion industrial estate

Halley Street, Yoker

Glasgow, Scotland

G13 4JD

0044 141 9512262

The shipping may be a bit expensive for ye swabs in the colonies, but they make excellent re-enactment and sharp swords, and have a good range of 17th and 18th century designs. Also they can make swords to your specifications if you send a photo or a drawing.

Cap'n Redbeard

P.U.B.C.A.T.

Piratical Union of Buccaneers Corsairs and Associated Trades

• 3 weeks later...

A grand day to ye, I didn't have aenough gold to bye one of me own and made me instead. Ye can get a machete at most and goods shoppe and jus take off the plascit ( what that might be) handle and add yer own wood handle and then wrap it good in leather and then wrap that with leather thongs. Mine has leasted me many voyages and looks beat to hell and still functions . If you were to drop it on a cobblestone floor, it rings forever.

Full sails, full ale and lusty wenches for yer all

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

:huh:

Well, Mate Animal, welcome to the list!

At least ye ken that YER cutlass could actually CUT something; which is probably more than could be said fer many of the fancier and more expensive pieces!

But, what sort of a scabbard do you keep it in?

Cap'n William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 3 weeks later...

My Second Mate an myself have been using Starfire Swords Cutlass' for the last three years against Museum Reps and other Starfire with minor nicks that you expect with stage combat weapons. I didn't see the cutlass listed on their website at my last visit, but you can contact them about availability. A little pricey, but lifetime guarantee!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Pricey indeed! Starfire's cutlass is viewable if you type "cutlass" into their search terms list. It's priced at $325, and there's a companion dagger for $175.

NOT cheap! I suppose it's worth it, if you're actually anticipating having to use it as a weapon, or if you plan to use it for choreographed fighting. But if I fight with a sword for fun, it's going to be something like a fencing weapon or SCA rapier. And we're talking to defend your life...well, $325 can get me a second hand shotgun or .38 revolver!

:huh:

Capt. William

I'm also in the market for a sword, as my current one is a pathetic garage sale prop! :D I don't need one for actual fighting yet (I'm practicing that with wood). Me, I just want a good looking, inexpensive cutlass that looks something close to 17th century, or at least early 18th century. Any recommendations for such a purely decorative sword?

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Capt. Cat..... Smokey Mountain Knifeworks carries a Scottish Bascket Hilt sword for about thirty dollars plus shipping. I bought one to go with my outfit. I stripped the lining that it came with and replaced it with my own and repolished the blade. It comes packed in a real greasy pink protective coating. The sword comes with a metal scabbard and as long as you can figure out how to fix it to you hip, it works pretty well for just looks.... I hope this helps...... Happy slashing... The Capt.

to the tune of the ittsy bitsy spider.....

The itsy bitsy warrior came onto the field

out came the duke and demanded that he yield

out came his sword and he split the duke between

and the itsy bitsy warrior walked off the field again

Hey All-

Have any of you bought one of Loyalist armes cutlass'

and used it for stage fighting? I'm interested in their

Dutch cutlass and was wondering how well they held

up to stage use. They offer their cutlass' for around

$80 to $125 scabbards included.

Thanks

Redhand :D

I have been performing stage combat since 1988. I have never been fond of star fire weapons but their cutlass is nice. I bought one three years ago and it has held up nice. Well built and good balance. They also make a matching boarding dagger as well. A couple others in our group purchased them as well and seem happy with them. Good luck in your serch.

Da, best pryiatin weapon I been havin usin dere is a "Bone Dagger" made dere by Master Jeff Lee dere (also been knowen dere as Roach Loaf, effen yous been in da right placen at da right time) it be dere a sythe blade dere a mans arm long, an'na calf's bone for da handle dere, as far as I be knowin dere et bein a one o' a kind weapon dere, an I be da only one knowen dere ow ta be usin it dere!

I checked out Loyalist Arms: their several models of naval cutlass look terrific, and run in the $78 - $106 price range, which ye are NOT going to beat!

Aye; now, afore I plunk down me hard-plundered doubloons on one...somebody better provide me with a heap of negative feedback. (Start with, "and what makes you think you'd be happy luggin' that yard o' iron on yer hip all day", e.g.!)

<_<

Capt. William

Good Day to ye, Captn. William. I keep me swrod in hand on a regular basis. When it is not needed, it fits nicely in me broad belt, handy at all times. I am currently in the the search for somethng to keep it in while me hands explore the comley wenches in the pub and a drink in me mug.

Full sails, full flaggon of ale and lusty wenches to ye,

Animal B)

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!