Are You in Character or Not ?

Rumba Rue

Whoah -- read your full long post... Mad Woman Cheryl -- are you saying you are a Klingon? Jeez, this is a small galaxy.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish to clear the air a bit, myself. When I post, I do affect a dialect. Get me drunk enough, and the same thing will happen when I speak. But the most important thing is that when I post and converse with people, it is all in the spirit of comradery and fun. I have a high-stress job, and being around you good folk help me keep things light. I am eternally in your collective debt for that.

As the days pass, I'll be joining in on some of the more serious, historical discussions. I'm an avid history buff and a lover of all things piratical.

Above all, I enjoy making people laugh. Good company and good friends are a treasure to be cherished.

When the weekend rolls around, the rum flows freely here. So if my writings become goofier than usual, that's why.

Anyhow, that's all I wanted to say. I'm sure I'll babble a bit more later.

:)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

But the most important thing is that when I post and converse with people, it is all in the spirit of comradery and fun.  I have a high-stress job, and being around you good folk help me keep things light.  I am eternally in your collective debt for that.

Well said, Jack. I feel much the same way. :)

Rumba, I sensed that you were asking these questions with your moderator tricorn on. It must be a very difficult thing to decide if you should squelch someone right away, before things get ugly, or just let the discussion run it's course. I know you don't want to have to "censor" us unless absolutely necessary. We are a unique group since there are so many people who do role-play. Plus, I'm sure moderating Plunder or Captain Twill is a little more structured than Rabble Rousing. (After all, the name implies some rowdiness.)

You do a great job, and I don't envy you a bit. You are the one we complain to, and if we get deleted, the one we complain about. Follow your gut and do what you think is right. :)

And yes, the nature of e-mail and Internet communication makes it ripe for misunderstanding. But the benefits (getting to chat with people you would otherwise never meet) outweighs the risks. So I'll take my chances. I think the idea here is to have fun, and maybe learn something (about pirates, about each other, about ourselves) :lol:

Ta answer the original question, I'd say Cap'n Annie is more or less an amplified version of meself. I mean, I do have an actual persona (or at least, am in the process of developing one) for MDRF, and as far as that goes there are differences between the fantasy 'n the reality. For example, I couldn't go and keelhaul me boss (even if the stupid bint does deserve it), but Captain Annie Finlay's done that sort 'o thing a thousand times. It's just a matter of keeping me real life and me piratical fantasies properly separated. :D

--Cap'n Annie (who's got plenty o' room in her cabin if PyratePhil cares to drop by 'n give a demonstration o' this strange game called 'Post Office :D )

The Wit and Wisdom of Capt. Jack Sparrow:

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Will Turner: You cheated.

Jack Sparrow: [shrugs] Pirate.

--Cap'n Annie (who's got plenty o' room in her cabin if PyratePhil cares to drop by 'n give a demonstration o' this strange game called 'Post Office B) )

PPhil drops in wearing his USPS costume, his bag full; gives Captain Annie a quick kiss on the cheek, drops his Highlander hair-tie in her hand, wraps his arm around her waist, and leads her off to the sorting cabin...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Me cabin musta just caught fire, 'cause things seem ta be heating up... B)

The Wit and Wisdom of Capt. Jack Sparrow:

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Will Turner: You cheated.

Jack Sparrow: [shrugs] Pirate.

B) pphil - could it also be that the 't' and 'y' are right next to each other on the keyboard?

rummy - you have to be one of the few that i know of that made it out of the teens without playing (or pretending to play) post ofice? how about spin the bottle. make mine rum.  B)

Guess I missed quite a bit as a teenager indeed. Went to Catholic School then met my boyfriend when I was 15 - ended up with him for over 30 years. B) I'm (so sorry to admit) just now catching up! - As for the question - I guess I am being me~ B)

Guess I missed quite a bit as a teenager indeed. Went to Catholic School then met my boyfriend when I was 15 - ended up with him for over 30 years.

:huh: i was in catholic school from 4th through 8th grade and then went to public high school! ;)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

• 4 weeks later...

If we want to go into private school night mares - I've got ye all whupped!! I'm probably the most sheltered, naive, inexperienced sap you'd ever meet . . .

but bet ye coud never tell from me posts! :huh: (see, clever lead in to the topic. I DID pay attention in Writing class? Impressive! :lol: )

Okay - I bet ye all couldn't guess, but I'm not really a Mercenary! :o Shocking, I know. However, I have a character in a book I am writing that is one, and this character, in her behaviour, attitude and life outlook is everything I want to be - Sarcastic, witty, just a little scary when she wants to be, and able to survive come all odds. So, in essence, I am MercenaryWench. But I don't actually go around and take commissions to fight wars or books myself out for assasinations. I don't shoot seagulls for fun and if surrounded by a group of thugs, I couldn't save myself worth shit. Half the time I don't even speak as if from her experience, but my own, filtered through her identity. It's almost like, I was Tudor Smith in a previous existance or like I am her, trapped in a time warp, applying the same personality traits and dogma to the 21st century I am sadly trapped in.

I think to some extent, that's what most of us are like. We put something of ourselves into our personas, or perhaps our personas put something in us. I know, that if I could be just a little more like Tudor Smith - a little stronger, a little wiser - I might be able to handle life a bit better.

Just as a note of interest; the word 'Personna' comes from the greek theatre. They were the masks the actors wore. These masks usually had unproportionaly large features, so the actor's faces and their emotions could be seen at the back of the amphitheatres. Maybe that's behind this double personality question . . . our faces, only bigger . . .

An interesting question to poise. I would have to say that what I portray is a close likiness of how I am in day to day life. Though I must admit that I tend to tone down the proper usage of speech. I write in the manner that I think. I will also admit that at faire events, the proper drops and the Irish lilt appears and words spoken reflect the pigeon speech. (You honestly could not expect proper speech from an Irish Smuggler's daughter, now could you? :huh: ) The persona, and another that I portray of French origin, are simply facets of myself in a more pronounced showing. What stands forth depends on the subject matter of the particular forum thread involved, whether it is a factual dicussion of history, etc or one of the "local establishments of mirth and whimsy". If the subject matter is of factual matters, it is just me, myself and I...no persona in the least.

Regardless, we all gather here for the sake of company, knowledge, humour and the sharing of those things. A common "port of call" in which we can put our boots up, have a jar or two and step away from the rigors of the Twenty-Second century, even if only for a brief while.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.