Stiching Palm

baptiste

Is there a good sourse for stiching palms and other marlin spike seamanship stuff.

I am hoping to get back in the game (taking week-ends off) a new group is forming in San Francisco and I am hoping to join them. They are making a sail for some historical ship.

this site looks like it has some of what you will need.

the sailor's palm

small fid on a handle

brass grommets

I had to make my own sailor's palm,because the ones that are commercially made are often in one size and as I have a smaller hand,they tend to slip off.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

some of the pictures I've seen on the web of historical sailor's palms,have most of them with an adjustable thong on the back.this is a very good improvement on the 2 different palms that I saw for sale.

I made mine to fit my hand ,so there are no problems there unless someone else wants to use it

:ph34r:

I also used a brass thimble plate for mine as opposed to the steel that is often used .I thought it was a better choice for salt water than the steel.

:)

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

this is a great picture of a historical palm as well as a little info on it

sailor's seaming palm

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

damn!!! Royaliste,I'd love ta,but you know when reality calls-most of us answer...

:ph34r:

I'm good at sail work,but what I really love is decorative ropework.

I can work for hours on a cockscomb and all me ropes have pretty and very well made seizings at the ends.love to make monkey fists and I have more than just a few turks heads around.

I also have some experience with natural resin tar-love the smell o that,but its hell ta get offn ya.

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Oh, my god. I have NO idea what y'all are talking about. *shakes head* Time to study! *open's the seaman's encyclopaedia* turk heads? monkey fists?

:huh:

a turk's head is often used as a pretty finish or accent or to help hold other decorative knotwork in place

turk's head knot

a monkey's fist is a knot formed around a round ball,usually used as a heaving rope to add weight so it could be thrown.they also make pretty buttons when made smaller.monkey's fist knot

a running coxcomb is usually used on railing to help with grip and to look pretty of course

:)

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson