"A few acres of snow" by Richard Leckie

Matty Bottles

I just wrapped up a book by Richard Leckie called "A Few Acres of Snow." It's a pretty entertaining read about the French and Indian Wars, and I just wondered if anyone here had an opinion of his accuracy. What I mean is, Mr, Leckie lets his personal politics inform the story, at some points quite obviously so. Thos are easy to point out. But what about some of the more subtle points of history? When he speaks with such disdain for William III, for example, how much is history and how much is Catholic bias? Has anyone else read this book, and if so, how does it compare to Vol. II of Francis Parkman's England and France in North America, which I am going to start next?

Oh, by the way, it's nice to read the boards again. I hope everyone has had a great 2005 so far.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum