Your Favorite Movies

Mission

I just saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and, while it's not one of my top favorite movies ever, it was a really good movie. They covered everything without making you feel like they were just going out of their way to cover everything (like they have in the past on occasion). A lot of stuff got left out (as it had to be), but I didn't think it detracted from the story much (if at all).

Props to Evanna Lynch for her portrayal of Luna Lovegood (my second-favorite character in the books). She did a bang-up job. Helena Bonham Carter also made a rather bit character interesting (as she frequently does - she's one of those wonderfully underrated actors. Or maybe she's not - she gets lots of roles. Her characterizations are usually worth a look, even in a bit part like this.) I would have liked to have seen more of Fred and George (as always) although at least they weren't quite as shortchanged by the movie as they often are. I would also have liked to have seen more of Tonks, but you know they had to cut somewhere...I suppose we'll see more of her in the future.

Did anyone else notice that Grawp looked like a young Charles Bronson? Or is it just me?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I find the Harry Potter movies too plodding to watch..I know lots of people love them..

dunno...that's just me.

We were talking about "Gladiator" at work yesterday. That was an awesome movie.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 4 weeks later...

WAtched the bounty last night. I didn'yt get home in time for Captain Blood :lol:

It must be Pirate and sail week on tv! Whoo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta love Bond...

Oh add the Bourne flicks

and a particular penchant for schlock sword and sorcery flicks

You mean like "Krull"? ;)

(Actually, I liked it. Young Liam Neesom! B) )

i LOVE krull and would like to know where (if one even exists) i could get a copy of it.

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

• 5 months later...
What are your favorite movies? I think you can tell a lot about a person by the movies they like. I'm going to suggest you stretch beyond the movie POTC, since many people have a bias there ("Yes, we know that one. Anything else?").

Here are a whole slew of mine:

Animal House (IMHO, Tim Matheson is second only to John Goodman as far as being underrated as an actor.)

Back to the Future ("Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?!)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ("...")

Casablanca

Cool Runnings

Goldfinger

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (Eli Wallach :lol: )

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

The Hudsucker Proxy

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

Patton

Raiders of the Lost Ark (What a great movie...)

Singin' in the Rain

The Sting

When Harry Met Sally

Yojimbo

How about you? What are your faves?

The Princess Bride is one I definitely missed.
5. The Seven Samuri
I should add Slackers to my list.

I was just found a movie in the used movies at the local library that I didn't even realize was a favorite and it drew me back to this list. So here are a few more, including that one:

Before Sunrise - probably the best Linklater film - in fact, even though I bought Slackers and haven't bought this one, I'd have to say it would knock Slackers off the list as it is the better film. In retrospect, Slackers is a little too uneven to be a great film...still, it is a favorite of mine...

The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi

Donovan's Reef One of those films I didn't realize was a favorite until I caught myself watching it for the fifth time.

Kung Fu Hustle

Hula Girls

Im Juli (Not necessarily a great movie, just a favorite.)

Jurassic Park: The Lost World (For some reason I really like this one, even though you could successfully argue the first one was better)

M. Hulot's Holiday

Some Like it Hot

Stranger Than Fiction Geez...a Will Farrel movie on my favorites list. I must be slipping. (Perhaps because it also has the ever interesting Maggie Gyllenhaal...plus it's s neat movie.)

Top Secret!

Under the Tuscan Sun

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

You know, I actually saw it in the (Art) theater during its limited release in the US. I found it on Rotten Tomatoes in position 30 or something and the idea of a modern Samurai flick which still preserved some of the Kurosawa flair appealed to me. Because it took them so long to release in the US, Zatoichi was already out on video during the theatrical release. So I found a foreign copy on eBay and bought it.

After seeing that movie, I became curious about the old Zatoichi movies which are apparently much-loved in Japan. After seeing a few of them, I found them to be not so fascinating. However, there is one featuring the ever-enjoyable Toshiro Mifune, in which he plays a "bad" Samurai that is worth a look, but it is a bit slow moving as all the Samurai flicks in that era were (due mostly to Japanese censorship). So the modern version is more appealing to our delicate (ie. fast-paced, violent) sensibilities. Plus Kitano has a wonderfully comic side that always appeals to me.

So the short answer is, no. I actually found it myself, although I believe you suggested it when we were chatting about movies so avidly a few years ago.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

Have I also forgotten to recommend Last Life in the Universe?

It gets royally panned in many circles, but I enjoy it quite a bit. Its sweet and odd in the way that, so far that I've found, only Japanese films can be.

Okay, sad but true, my newest favorite movie is "Curious George"...what can I say, he is a very adorable monkey...and my son and I have had some wonderfully cuddly, times watchin' it.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

• 3 months later...

My Favorite Movies to date

Lawrence of Arabia

The Great Escape

Braveheart

LoTR Trilogy

POTC trilogy (cringes, but loves em)

Master and Commander on the farside of the world

Cutthroat Island

3:10 to Yuma (New and old)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth th' Golden Age

Ghostbusters

Who framed Roger Rabbit

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Kingdom of Heaven

To date, a few of my faves:

The Fountain

LOTR trilogy

The Aliens movies (though, 3 was a bit 'eh)

Serenity

A Beautiful Mind

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Almost Famous

Hellboy

The Crow

Basquiat

Boondock Saints

The Abyss

High Fidelity

The Departed

Clerks I & II

Snatch

The Abyss is one of my favorites Jessi...have you seen the directors cut?

I must say that my current favorite is Raiders (of the Lost Ark). I've been watching that once or twice a month as of late, along with the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :blink:

I need to break out a few vids from my vault to vary my movie intake. I may give these a whirl 'round the holidays:

- The Sound of Music

- Legend (with directors cuts and original score)

- The Purple Rose of Cairo

- Casablanca (a BIG favorite)

- Return of the Jedi

- the first of the Harry Potter series

- Goonies

- An American in Paris

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Aha! It all comes back to me now that I have seen my favorite movie list..

Jessi, the movie with John Wayne that I forgot the name of the other day was Donavan's Reef.

(My poor old Raphael Mission user ID. He got retired early. He can blame Stynky.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I have some obscure movies I really love:

It Happened One Night - my father's favorite, and mine; a classic

The Quiet Man - my favorite John Wayne movie

The Blues Brothers - not that obscure, but the best car chase scene EVER

The Rocketeer - very underrated movie that should have done better

The Man From Snowy River - absolutely gorgeous to watch

Zathura - what Jamanji should have been

And my guilty pleasure, Spaced Invaders - so stupid it's funny :blink:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Have you seen it?!?! I didn't know it had been released on video.

Another movie that I haven't seen that looks awesome is 1612. Ok, so my people are the bad guys in this... still looks cool.

(warning, contains scenes of graphic violence)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I know a guy that knows a guy. It has some delicious fighting scenes.

Another movie that I haven't seen that looks awesome is 1612. Ok, so my people are the bad guys in this... still looks cool.

I love the 'hot shot' scene.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I know a guy that knows a guy. It has some delicious fighting scenes.

Nice. Well, hopefully that guy who knows a guy know a guy who is in the movies to video business and we'll all get to see it someday.

I love the 'hot shot' scene.

Same here. It captures that "oh shite" feeling quite well.

In the "I know a guy" category, at the last event a guy I know was going to bring a copy of 1612 to lend to me, but he left it sitting at home. He told me there were no subtitles, but still very cool to watch.

My Home on the Web

High Fidelity

Agreed. If you liked High Fidelity you may want to try another John Cusack film titled Serendipity. They are similarly themed, yet somehow antithetical to one another. I enjoyed them both. Not sure which I liked better. Serendipity has the benefit of also having Jeremy Piven in it, as Cusack's Epictetus quoting friend. And any movie where someone quotes Epictetus is ok in my book!

My Home on the Web

Capt Grey - I agree with you, The Rocketeer is very underrated. It's one of my favorite Disney movies, and has one of my favorite actresses in it, a fellow Jennifer (Connelly).

William - Is that Viggo Mortensen in Alatriste?

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...