Why doughnuts have holes

Red Maria

In the current issue of "Food History News" no.57, v.15:1 there is a story about the origins of doughnuts. There is a insert titlled "Poking Holes in Doughnut Mythology". Here's an interesting passage: "Other stories link Gregory's (Hanson Crokett Gregory inventor of the doughnut hole) as a very young ship's captain with his invetion of the doughnut, suggesting that the hole was an innovation that made it possible to hook one over the ship's wheel, or prevent the heavy undercooked center of traditional doughnuts from carrying a sailor to the bottom of the sea if he were to be swept overboard."

That's food for though next time you're at Krispy Creme! B)

How true it is I don't know but it's a fun bit of maritime/food history.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

...uhh...you really do take your hobbie seriously.

B)

I think donuts have holes so they can resemble halos,because donuts must come from heaven(especially krispy creme fresh off the conveyor)

YARRR!

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I happen to live in the place where Krispy Kreme started! There's a current Coke product under-cap promo where you can win a free dozen with the purchase of a dozen. I have two more caps after I used one. Half-price donuts... wheee!!!!!! Life is Great!

Captain Sage

:unsure: I always thought that the holes in doughnuts was so that a man could go to a nude beach and carry a dozen doughnuts and still have both hands free to carry a coffee in each hand :)

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

...uhh...you really do take your hobbie seriously.

:huh:

I think donuts have holes so they can resemble halos,because donuts must come from heaven(especially krispy creme fresh off the conveyor)

YARRR!

As nice Krispy Kreme is they still aren't as good as Helm's Bakery glazed doughnuts fresh off the truck.

Gods I miss those!

Unfortnmately I loss my liking for doughnuts after to many theatre productions and low budget films. I dun been doughnuted out. :ph34r:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

As nice Krispy Kreme is they still aren't as good as Helm's Bakery glazed doughnuts fresh off the truck.

I vaguely remember the Helm's truck! My mom used to buy bread whenever it came by!

I'm probably one of the few in America who doesn't understand the Krispy Kreme phenom. I've tried them, and they're just doughnuts.

Now, let's talk fresh beignets...mmm!

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

yes beignets are delightful,but hell on my all black wardrobe.

:blink:

no matter how hard I try,the powdered sugar makes it mark somewhere.

:D

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Oh, brings back some real fond memories of the French Quarter, though. Sittin' at the Cafe Du Monde, sippin' strong coffee... loading up on sugar... chasing the pidgeons away...

New Orleans is one of my favorite places on the planet. It's soooo haunted, by pirates et al...

And Aunt Sallie's Pralines...

I agree,Rosalinda,

new orleans is a place unlike any other,all full of wonderful contrasts=

new and old

holy churches and creepy voodoo dens

beauty and death

constantly decaying and being rebuilt

the cemetaries with all the gloriously beautiful above ground crypts

faith,the wealthy,decadence,crime

victorian beauty in house and gardens

french and spanish traditions

tourists

beignets and coffee with chikory

french bread long enough to joust with

laffitte's blacksmith shop/pub

vampires and witches

and my favorite;french inner courtyards and gardens.

pardon my raving,

but I LOVE new orleans (except at mardi gras time)

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson