In Defense of the Authenticity Nazis

baptiste

why is there such animosity againtst authentic

The "friction" exists because it inherently sets up an us-against-them scenario. Our stuff is more correct, we have researched more than you, we are more dedicated etc etc.

The retort is; we are more engaged with the public than you, we have a better time than you, we are better entertainers than you….

It’s a result of both sides sharing the same interest but wanting something entirely different out of the experience.

For the authentic people, it’s an opportunity to “time travel” to wear the clothes and try to create an experience that might have been had 300 years ago.

Hurricane made the point about an event he was at and the pirate participants were sharing the beverage around the campfire at night and it was a kind of magical experience that could have taken place back in the GAoP.

Now, I know we all get back into our cars and drive home and pay our bills and spend the rest of our lives rooted in the 21st century, but we savor those little time travel moments and it fuels our fire and enthusiasm. What kills it for the Authentics are the little reminders that we are in the 21st century. Incorrect clothing items, watches, glasses, polyester etcetera that ruin the “vibe”.

The fantasy pirates have the same interests in pirates, but the thrill is not in the time travel experience, but in living “a different life” in the present. That sounds strange but let me clarify. Joe Blow who lives his every day life as just an average Joe gets to dress up in fantastic un-average clothing and walk around as the center of attention.

The same people who would not say boo to anyone if they were in their normal clothes in a bar by themselves, suddenly jump up on top of a table and, surround by their fellow “pirates,” belt out a rousing rendition of Liverpool Jodies at the top of their lungs. They enjoy not being “their 21st century self” and take particular delight in making sure they are surrounded by people who will live the moment with them. That person doesn’t care whether their wearing linen or polyester, whether they have a percussion pistol or a squirt gun. What kills it for the Fantastics are the folks that ruin their vibe by telling them their buttons should be brass not plastic.

The Authentics can’t understand why the Fantastics can’t do what they do with Authentic gear and the Fantastics can’t understand why somebody should care if they are wearing Rayon or not.

Hatfields and McCoys?

I don’t necessarily think so. For the most part, 95% of Pirate “events” in the US are “celebrations” or “festivals” of some sort. I have yet to see really bad “pirate” re-enactors at living history events or timeline events claiming that they are “authentic”. If you are celebrating the 300th year of XYZ town, what does it really matter if you have a plastic eye patch and Pittsburg Pirates t-shirt on?

Conversely, if you are doing a public demonstration and are inferring that you are a GAOP pirate, why don’t you strive to look like one?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THEY'RE definitely wearing linen, polyester would melt that close to such a large inferno. They must be authentics in disguise.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Just kidding Greg my hearty!! Yours was truly a grand post that I enjoyed very much. In fact I'm thinking of getting a bunch of t-shirts printed up to walk around handing out at some future event. One batch would merely be white text on black, and say "Authentic" the other would say "Fantastic".

Btw I'm still enjoying the German gingerbread snacks..MMMMM! :)

newbannersigtar0db.gif