2005 Pirates in Paradise Festival

hurricane

The dates of the festival have been tentatively set for Nov. 25 through Dec. 4 this year. We will have a soft pirating weekend Nov. 25-27, but wanted to shift the full festival to a full week to get away from the dreaded high rates of flying near Thanksgiving and to create a more energetic week of activities without so much downtime.

New this year:

A larger Thieve's Market - we have reduced the price of boots substantially to get more vendors in the market and to make it easier to make a profit. We already have some really good vendors, including a company that makes authentic hooks.

Evening Pub Runs & Parties - we will be doing pub runs every evening ending with a pirate party at a local establishment. These have been very popular in the past and a lot of people have asked for an evening event where the pirates can just party and enjoy each other's company. This will also solve the problem of having to flit from one one-hour event to another which is logistically challenging for larger crewes and those without cars.

Historical Education at Schools - during the day we will be sending re-enactors out to schools to talk about pirates and promote the fort event that weekend.

National Dread Pyrate Game Championships - the makers of the game have added their full support to the festival and are placing flyers in all the games, promoting the championship at the fort on the Thieve's Market weekend.

More period entertainment - we are seeking more entertainment who can do sea chanteys as well as modern nautical oriented music, children's music, fight circle performances and people in character.

More Food - we are looking to add several new vendors to the thieve's market area.

Expanded sails, opportunities to fight, weapons demonstrations, etc.

The fort is very accommodating and is allowing us to do even more this year at the fort.

Other favorites will be back:

The End of the Hurricane Party

The Pyrate Tryal of Anne Bonny and Mary Read

The 2nd Annual National Walk the Plank Championship

Literary and Arts Talks and Walks

Tours, Sails and Battles

and the amazing evening at the fort under lantern - the annual Cast Party

Let me know if you have any questions. There have been rumors afoot that everything is changing now that Julie is running all the festival. She's still actively involved in the cultural, arts and literary events - she just didn't want to do the entire thing so some of us are helping her with other, more labor intensive aspects of the event.

We will have some rooming challenges this year as the Banana Bay and Atlantic Shores may be going condo. But we're working on getting some new hotels to step into the gap there.

Finally, we're working on getting some celebs down our way to help promote the festival, judge some of the events and generally have some fun. This includes the creators of the Talk Like a Pirate Day and possibly Dave Barry, author of Peter and the Suncatchers...

Email me at hurricane@piratesofthecoast.com if ye have questions...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

hello capt'

i was wondering if the vendors at the thieves market will be able to set up an encampment for the entire length of the festival .... my son and i really want to come down again next year as private vendors possibly selling artwork and also perhaps as a food vendor .... B) let everyone know what the encampment possibilties will be for next year even for pirate crews ....

B)

Last year, the fort allowed vendors with period encampments to be there Thursday through Monday on the last weekend... that would be Dec. 1 through Dec. 4 I think... as far as evenings. We're hoping they will expand that this year to the full week, beginning Nov. 28...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Sounds really great! But alas unless I can get money for airfare and food, and lodging, I'm out of luck.

All the PRP'rs that went said they had a great time, and a few said they'd like to go back. I believe there might be some interest in sending a group of us there to represent PRP, but that has yet to be decided. Our general meeting is coming up so I think it will be talked about then.

*Note: One thing that concerns me is smoking. I understand there are no laws against smoking in the bars and eating places. I cannot be in such areas, as cigarette/cigar smoking doesn't make me feel well and I hate the smell on my clothes and hair. Now on the other hand, that herb does wonders for me and my back pains.

Hugs,

Rumba Rue

**Sailin' on the big blue wet thing**POTCrowing.GIF

Sounds really great! But alas unless I can get money for airfare and food, and lodging, I'm out of luck.

All the PRP'rs that went said they had a great time, and a few said they'd like to go back. I believe there might be some interest in sending a group of us there to represent PRP, but that has yet to be decided. Our general meeting is coming up so I think it will be talked about then.

*Note: One thing that concerns me is smoking. I understand there are no laws against smoking in the bars and eating places. I cannot be in such areas, as cigarette/cigar smoking doesn't make me feel well and I hate the smell on my clothes and hair. Now on the other hand, that herb does wonders for me and my back pains.

Hugs,

Rumba Rue

**Sailin' on the big blue wet thing**POTCrowing.GIF

As a matter of fact, Florida DOES have a law against smoking in dining establishments. Bars are one thing... but if more than 10 percent of their business is in food, they cannot allow smoking. So you will not have a problem in eateries.

As for the bar situation you can always do what many of us do and go to more open air bars. Schooners Wharf is actually all outside, and a great place. the smoke is quickly dispursed... places like Sloppy Joes are also eating establishments, so there is no smoking.... etc etc....

Hope this helps

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Captain and Ship's Conscience, the festival sounds wonderful. Definitely something I want to go to again!

(hides the body under the trees)

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

So, if you will excuse a completely naive set of questions (pretend -- just for a moment -- that I ... NO WAIT! My friend has never been there)...

Admission fee? Other hidden costs? (other than transportation and housing) Is this simply a walk-in event?

Hours? Are there peak daily times for the event? Or is is 24/7 for the full period? (I mean, people sleep, don't they?)

Very specific location? (address? A certain beach? An entire town? What are we talking about?)

I am trying to get this on my annual schedule... This information helps paint a more complete picture.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

The festival spans 10 days, Nov. 25 - Dec. 4.

The bulk of weekday activities are throughout Old Town in Key West. This includes pub runs, cultural events, literary events and some parties. Typically, these start around 2 to 3 in the afternoon, leaving the mornings for relaxing, sightseeing, etc.

If you have limited time I recommend flying in mid week and staying through the last weekend. That's when the even really ramps up.

The final weekend's activities are at Fort Zachary Taylor, which is located a couple blocks from Duval. The only admission fee is to the fort itself, which is $6, I think. All the events at the festival during the fort event is free, except the last evening's cast party, which has an admission fee to cover food and beverage. This is where all the black powder demonstrations, fight circles, vendors, entertainment and pirates hang out. Period encampments are allowed overnight at the fort Thursday through that Sunday.

As for other events during the week, there are some admission costs involved. Some of it is traded out at a discounted rate for those pirates who work the festival.

Here's a complete list of activities for 2004. It will be basically the same this year:

http://piratesinparadise.com/schedule/index.html

Hope this helps.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ahoy there, glad ye posted some specifics 'bout KW PIP 05....Capt Hurricane and the beautiful Diosa! Ah them anacronyms (Key West Pyrates in Paradise 2005).......as fer West Coast privateers.....talk is of at least a few new crewe' members come'n out. As fer PRP, not sure this is an official event and I wouldn't speak fer the duly elected board whot governs that crewe.

Glad at the scheduled changes, sounds great! Could ye tell us about those "participation contracts" I heard tell 'bout when I were there last year? I plan on bein' there to show 'round some new folks plannin' on comin' just like whot were done to me, ah I mean for me.

Best regards, I mean ah ARGH and two halfs more mates....D.L.XX

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Pyracy in all it's Glory,

Yers,

D.L.

aka DurtyLaFey

member of a few crewes....but that be a personal question.

Captain, I remember someone at the fort mentioning Revolutionary reenactments there next year. Do you think we could work towards having some period soldiers there in correlation with PiP? We could have alot of fun with the King's Guards and maybe draw some good sutlers to join in the Thieve's Market.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

(opening cloth bag to count crowns)

I have never been to PiP, but everything I've heard here and from mateys makes me want to go. So, I best be savin' some of me coins and not drinkin' 'em all up! I agree wit Rumba Rue about the expense. I know it is High Season at that time, but do places of accomodation in Key West offer discounts to PiP festival goers?

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Greetings,

I have been looking at PiP for years and I believe that a contingent of Elizabethan Captains from The Guild of St. George of BRF might undertake a trip if the winds are right. We play actual historical characters from the court of Elizabeth and do educational immersion theater IE we are the people when in costume and I am sure if we can finalize the whats and whatfores we could assist with the educational aspects, fight circles and such.

Just bring the rum...

Captain Sin

where will this be held, maybe I can get a plain ticket

It's held in Key West, FL.

Definitely already lookin' foreward to this years PiP as it's a nice way to sate our Pennsic War appetites in the winter months!

Ahoy!

We've had art fans telling us for years that we should head to Florida - We're considering doing a vendor booth at PIP. Can you tell me if vendors set up for all those days and how many visitors you expect to attend?

Greeting, you might want to contact Hurricane, Capt'n of the Pirates Of The Coast. He and others are working on the festival planning. He can give you more information. I know they are looking for vendors and the more the merrier.

Animal

:blink:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Hi All

We have added at last 6 new merchants from Kilts to Socks...... I have about 4 new food merchants that want to come in I am also working on getting Pipers Pub to be in the Village Market Place you buy a bottle they refill it at any festival you see them at for a dollar. Only one draw back it is soda not ale. Even worse not RUM......any one looking for specific merchants just send an e-mails to fairietails@hotmail.com I will do my best to get them in.... I have a wonderful wench merchant signed up also.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...