Wanna hear something PATHETIC??

dasNdanger

Yup - I broke down and got meself a couple o' dollies. :) One stands at my office monitor with his oh-so-serious 'the boss is watching' face on, while the other guards my computer at home, grinning like a monkey. They each have their own pistol, sword, and compass, hat and rum bottle - but still...something was missing...

So, I rummaged through a sack of leather scraps, got out the scissors and needles and gut, and made each of 'em their very own 'booty bag'! :P Then I dug into the bottom of my jewerly box, found a few broken chains and loose rhinestones and tiny fake pearls, and filled the bags up with the goodies. I was fortunate enough to find a few cheapie necklaces that had tiny little Jack-sized coins on them and bought a few gold-tone minatures at the doll house shop and, after some dissecting and divieing up, added it all to the loot! It fits just perfectly into his hand, and really helps complete the 'look'. But then...

I found these little unfinished wooden 'treasure' chests, just the right size, that I'm 'aging' and getting ready to stain and finish so, that when I'm done, I can fill 'em up with even MORE swag (i.e. broken crap from my jewelry box, minatures, etc)! :huh:

You know - it's bad enough I have these dolls in the first place, but NOW I'm making stuff for them too!! How pathetic is that??! :lol:

And next on the list?? Well...I have the clay all ready to make each of 'em their very Green Banana (of Tortuga)! :lol:

I REALLY need to get a life, but what fun would there be in that?? :lol:

das

LOL!

Reminds me of when I "volunteered" to make a dollhouse for my ex- about 15 years ago or so...

She said, "Any kind will do - nothing fancy..."

Well, being a typical guy, my hearing shut down after "Any kind will do..."

Two years later, she had her dollhouse - a full gingerbread-dripping Victorian, 4'x4'x3'high, built stick-fashion (the way they make real houses - I made scale 2"x6"'s and even "plastered" some rooms), full electric, running water, mini stained glass that I made, full landscaping including the waterfall and pond...and the kicker - since you can't easily furnish a house that size due to restricted access, I built it so that the whole thing swiveled open (including the table) 3 ways...

...so no, I don't think you need to get a life! :huh:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Two years later, she had her dollhouse - a full gingerbread-dripping Victorian, 4'x4'x3'high, built stick-fashion (the way they make real houses - I made scale 2"x6"'s and even "plastered" some rooms), full electric, running water, mini stained glass that I made, full landscaping including the waterfall and pond...and the kicker - since you can't easily furnish a house that size due to restricted access, I built it so that the whole thing swiveled open (including the table) 3 ways...

O_o

Whoa. Hmmmm....Hey! How about making me a boat...er...SHIP!!

Any kind will do...nothing fancy...

:lol:

I have a dollhouse that my dad made, and apparently he's not a typical guy 'cause it's a two-story giant shadow box made outta plywood... :huh:

Well... could be worse.

You could be trying to get them both a date! 

No worries there...House Jack and the cat are going steady, and Office Jack has already been propositioned 5 times by a deliveryman... :lol: He keeps saying, 'I can't believe he looks that good and yet he's so cheap!'

I think next time I'm just gonna tell 'em to get a room... :lol:

das

Whoa.  Hmmmm....Hey!  How about making me a boat...er...SHIP!!

Any kind will do...nothing fancy...

Sure - if you don't mind it being in 1:85 scale - that's what the HMS Pandora I'm working on now is... :huh:

'I can't believe he looks that good and yet he's so cheap!' 

Oh, I get THAT comment all the time...

~ Vegetius

Duchess, he's of the 18" size. But he talks. Maybe your figure should ask her figure of Jack out. (This begs the question, if she were to ask, would mini-Duchess ask the smiling Jack or the serious Jack?)

The 18" Jack is an exceptionally well-detailed figure. Except for their tendancy to make everything out of plastic including things that just look odd in plastic (loose cloth, for example), I'd call it nearly perfect as far as AFs go. You almost wonder why the eyes don't follow you around the room, it is so well sculpted.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Guest SirenSong

Well Personally i think mini Duchess should ask Serious Jack..He just has that edge of danger that makes a girl sit up and take notice..ye can always make him laugh later... :huh:

'I can't believe he looks that good and yet he's so cheap!' 

Oh, I get THAT comment all the time...

:huh: And yer shameless, too!! :P

OOO!! Working on the Pandora??!! I have two kits just BEGGING me to start work on, but alas, I CAN'T SEEM TO GET OFF THE BLOODY 'PUTER!!!!!! :lol: grrr. :lol:

My experience is limited - I did a small gun deck section for practice - came out pretty good. And years ago I re-rigged part of a model of the Constitution that my grandfather made back...geez...must have been in the '20's. It has some detail, but not as 'delicate' as the more intricate models. That was about 20 years ago, now the half that I didn't do has started to dry-rot, and lines are broken, and I really need to get to her soon or she'll start looking like the Black Pearl...

Pirates of New Jersey: Curse of the Unlimited Internet

Look! The derelict model shows us for what we really are. We are not among the self-disciplined and so we cannot assemble, but neither are we unskilled. For too long I've been parked in front of the computer and unable to turn it off. Too long I've been staring at a model ship kit and haven't built it. I do nothing - not the measuring of hull planking nor glueing the stanchions nor mounting the guns on the deck. You best start believing in lazy arses, PP, you've met one!!

What are ya looking at?! :P Back to work! (Well, one of us has to get their ship built, and by all accounts, it won't be me!)

das

'Twont be me neither, m'lady - I too suffer the curse of high-speed unlimited Net :huh:

I just have more FUN here than in trying to figure out which diameter of rigging goes where! Most of my models end up like Calvin's (of Calvin and Hobbes) - they all look like they crashed and burned. :lol:

But that's an idea, seriously, that I've always wanted to do, even before the current POTC craze - a ghost ship...ye got me droolin' on me X-Acto's now...

~ Vegetius

How did we get onto unbuilt models? :huh:

You guys got nothin' on me. I have a (totally unrelated to piracy, sorry) scratch-built O-Scale model D&RGW Rotary Snowplow that I started about 25 years ago. The 'net was only in colleges at that point, so I can't even offer that as an excuse. Yep, gonna' get to finishing that one some day...know right where it's at...next to the unfinished modified Brain Gremlin model I started 5 years ago...

This is the great thing about AFs...they're becoming better and better and making figure modelling so much less important in our busy, internet-laden lives.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

'Twont be me neither, m'lady - I too suffer the curse of high-speed unlimited Net  :P

High-speed??? :lol: lucky you. *glares at 26K connection speed taunting me at the bottom of the screen...* :lol:

I have seen a couple good 'wrecks', in fact my father-in-law has a dismasted model ship (forget which one after what battle) - and it's a beauty. I like the ghost ship idea, too - I think that's an image we've all had long before POTC - that of a tattered, shadowy ship emerging from the fog. If ya ever get her done, you gotta post some pictures for us to turn green over!!

I just have more FUN here than in trying to figure out which diameter of rigging goes where! Most of my models end up like Calvin's - they all look like they crashed and burned...

hehehe...wanna know what's even more funsies than THAT??!! Having ALL the instructions in ITALIAN!!! WOOT!! :huh: Thank GOODNESS for diagrams...

das

Wow, I'm impressed at the model builders here. I found a beautiful Spanish Galleon ship, all wood, that someday I'd love to assemble, but I haven't bought it yet, it's awfully expensive. Maybe someday, as I want a nice sailing ship for the top of my entertainment center.

As for starting stuff and not finishing them... We've been adding onto our house for 2 years now!

Mission, ok, so the snowplow thing is unfinished, but the dinosaur turned out great!!! Hey, that's model building too, aye?

And now a question...

is there an explaination anywhere for the green banana?

Fancy

...so no, I don't think you need to get a life! :lol:

A doll house with electricity, running water, mini stained glass windows and so on? Whoa! :lol: That sounds awesome! I would love to see something like that. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

A doll house with electricity, running water, mini stained glass windows and so on? Whoa! :lol: That sounds awesome! I would love to see something like that. :)

Not so uncommon as ye might think, m'lady -

...the world o' dollhouses and minis be a huge one - I even did custom-order houses fer a while...and there be many fantastical things in thet world...

...unfortunately, after me divorce, me ex- put the house in the basement...a basement whot gets tons o' humidity... :lol:

Now it be jes' an Addam's Family house...

~ Vegetius

Mission, ok, so the snowplow thing is unfinished, but the dinosaur turned out great!!! Hey, that's model building too, aye?

And now a question...

is there an explaination anywhere for the green banana?

Thanks for the compliment, Fancy. While the dinosaur had a deadline...the snowplow didn't. Still doesn't. That's why it's not done. Poor dinosaur, he's sitting out in 8" of snow with icicles coming off his nose. :lol: I should take a picture of it. (Good test of the fiberglass job I did. :lol: )

I have the impresssion that the green banana was something Johnny surreptitiously added from what they said on one of the voiceovers in the DVD. I watched it once with the voiceover quite awhile ago, so I'm not sure. If you're really curious, you might try watching the scene with the director/Johnny voiceover on, Fancy.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Explanation of the Green Banana of Tortuga:

In POTC, when Jack is inspecting his crew on the dock, Johnny/Jack is holding a green banana in his hand. There is no obvious reason for Jack to have this banana, and there has been wild speculation about it's meaning - mostly the *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* double entendre stuff.

However, doing a little detective work, I discovered a possible explanation for the banana. In a 1996 Playboy interview, Depp said the following about filming certain scenes:

DEPP: Who knows what goes on underneath the table, outside the frame? I may have a feather duster down my pants. It's not necessarily sexual, either. If I'm having a difficult time with a scene, getting too serious, I like to take a handheld duster or maybe a wrench, shove it down my pants and play the scene that way. Any object that doesn't belong--it takes your mind off the seriousness of the situation. Just when you're bursting into tears you realize there's a dust mop in your shorts.

PLAYBOY:. So there are multiple tracks in your head. One's in character while another is sending out dust mop alerts.

DEPP: Yeah, and the other actor knows, too. That can add spice to the scene. I've used tools, fruit, a little squeegee that creates the sound of flatulence. It doesn't have to be in your pants, either. In a close shot where they cut you off at the elbows, say, I may have a banana in my hand, or some guy's shoe.

The interesting thing here is that on the DVD commentary, Depp said that while filming that dock scene, he was not happy with Verbinski, the director...so I suppose he was 'having a difficult time with that scene and getting too serious', and decided 'take his mind off the seriousness of the situation' by carting around that banana! In an episode of 21 Jump Street there is a scene where Johnny has a banana sticking out of his pocket for no obvious reason, so I guess this is a pretty common 'prop' for him. silly boy...

das

Guest SirenSong

WOW! Now that is intresting. To use objects like that to lighten the scene or the atmosphere. My question is..We can we plunder him fer his props?????

Guest SirenSong

Aye I know just how I want me doll house to look..And I cant find the Jack Sparrow dolls where I am..*sniffles* I so WANT one. I never had a doll house either. I keep viewing them in the hobby stores...perhaps I should make one..We have a small place here where I live that is devoted to mini's. Never been in there cause Im scared I might fall in love...And that's a dangerous thing... B)

Found the POTC action figures at Deadmentellnotales.com

they have the talking version of JD and are getting non-talking versions of (both smiling and serious) Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, Will Turner and one cursed pirate! (no Elizabeth, tho)........I love the idea o' a Scene decor...even a miniature one.. :lol:

"Congratulations Madame, that's another town you've destroyed." William Shaw

I'm the "honest one" Jack Sparrow warned you about, honestly....Red Handed!

I think the non-talking ones are the 7" ones, right?? (I'm on dial-up right now and don't wanna check the linkage.. :lol: )

I have the 18" one, it really looks good. The voice is not Johnny's (I heard that it's one of the other actors from POTC, though - Greg Ellis. He's the officer who says, 'That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen'). I cannot verify that, but I've heard it from a couple of places. Anyway, I like talking Jack, but I have to keep him switched off because he can get REALLY annoying!! I guess I now know how Norrington felt when Jack just wouldn't shut up!! LOL!! I would've wrung his scrawny li'l neck if I had been ol' Norrie!!!

;)

das