Pistols and accessories

dasNdanger

This type of lock is known as a Miquelet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miquelet

These are common on Spanish made guns, and also well known on Italian pieces. They are seen on Arabic weapons too. Most all I have seen are on guns from the Mediterranean area, and some Balkan pieces.

The chief advantage with the mainspring and most of the works on the outside is that it makes for a much stronger stock. The amount of wood cut away to clear the mainspring and workings of a conventional lock weakens the stock considerably in the lock area. I have seen a great many antique guns with the stock broken through the lock area.

The Spanish military swore by this design even up into the early percussion era. There is also quite a bit less work involved in inletting the stock to receive this type of lock. Disadvantages are that the moving parts are exposed to dirt and damage .

>>>> Cascabel

• 1 month later...

Since I can't afford and me wife won't allow me to own a foine black powder pistol, I had to settle for a reproduction. I bought a nice one, only to find out that the stain bled into my nice clean pirate shirt. I don't want to disassemble this repro piece, so outside of shellacking the wood, how can I keep this from happening? Any thoughts or ideas?

Since I can't afford and me wife won't allow me to own a foine black powder pistol, I had to settle for a reproduction. I bought a nice one, only to find out that the stain bled into my nice clean pirate shirt. I don't want to disassemble this repro piece, so outside of shellacking the wood, how can I keep this from happening? Any thoughts or ideas?

There really isn't a good way to do it without disassembly. If it's a cheap non-firing replica, you probably will do it no harm by getting a spray can of clear laquer like Krylon, and giving the whole thing a couple of nice even coats.

>>>> Cascabel

don't use shellac!!! if nothing else use some furniture paste wax ...a thinned varnish or tung oil would be better since most replicas are made with pine stocks krylon would also work like cascabel said

Edited by callenish gunner

My poor hubby - when we were first married he complained that I had a couple lacy pillows in the living room - now he's complaining that I have too many cannon balls!!

das

:huh:

uh....now I be too afraid t' pick up wenches at th' pub tonight...gonna have nightmares I wake up 'n find she got CANNON BALLS!!! 'n Too Many O' Them T'Boot!!!!!

:huh:

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!