Goonies!

Fancy

I just love the Goonies, my kids love the Goonies, and now my kids friends love the Goonies.. ok, so they've got a little cussin' but I just tells 'em that just cause they hear it doesn't mean they can say it!

We watched it again tonight, and they all sat through it without fidgiting or needing to pause it or anything... they were glued. And then after, it was "Aw, that was a GOOD movie! I want to have adventures like that...!"

ME TOO!

:blink::unsure::blink:

Fancy

:unsure: I watched probably a year ago or so. When I was young (actually right up to eighteen months ago) I had severe asthma, hospital emergency rooms and such. I had a great eye opening expereience when I watched goonies for the first time. I could still have great adventures even though I had to carry around all my little inhalers. So there is some good that came from hollywood! :blink:

The Duchess

Geez, I haven't seen that movie since it was in the theatre! I can't even remember much about it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Tis been a while since I've seen it. I have it on VHS. Just haven't had the chance to buy the DVD. But I LOVE Goonies. I have to say.. my first "pirate" film. I remember watching it at home with my sister & best friend late at night. Oh, what fun!

As to the cussing... ;) typical 80's teen film! :)

They showed it last year here in CR in Bever Park... an actual park.. showing it outside... was great!

Too many fav lines out of it:

"Is it the A sharp, or B flat?"

"If you hit the wrong note, we'll al be flat."

LOL... How many of us when we saw that film as kids did we wish to find a treasure map.. go on an awesome, radical treasure adventure like that... & find an amazing treasure?

I keep on telling myself.. I'll watch it again here soon. Someday I will... soon.

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

My reply, Pete....

:) :) :) :) :)

Aye.. that you are. A modern day story about teens who go in search of the infamous treasure of One-Eyed Willie in order to save their homes. Great 80's teen film & pirate-y film.

;)

LOL... How many of us when we saw that film as kids

I think that might be my problem with the movie...... it was OK..... kinda fun..... pyrate treasure and all..... but I wasn't greatly impressed...... now I have to remember a movie that impressed me when I was a kid........

There WAS an old black and white pyrate movie that I saw when I was in the sixth grade...... WOW....... just can't remember what it was.... Or if my memory is better than the movie was... (imagination I think added some to it.....)

As a side note.... my memory of Heavy Metal (the movie) was much better than seing it again a few years ago.......

But don't mean to spoil anyones fun......... like I typed.... it was a fun movie....

The movie I remember as a kid was Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's still one of my favorite movies.

Goonies was...I don't know. It didn't impress me much for some reason. All I remember is the big scary guy that they were afraid of, then they made friends with him. That and a lot of cave scenes. Maybe I should see it again, but there are so many other movies I'd like to see that I haven't.

(I just saw Casablanca for the first time a month ago. What an incredible movie! They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I used to love Weird Science, another teen flick, and I finally bought it and you know.... I can't remember what I found in it that was so great... Still a fun movie, but not what I remember.

Mission, I've never seen Casablanca. Plan to one day... one day.

We just watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow last night. Interesting movie. Not gonna be a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it.

Patrick Hand, can you describe the b/w movie you saw?

Lady Barbossa, I bet that was really cool to view the Goonies in an outdoor park/theater. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Mouth is doing his interpreting. Hilarious!

Capt. Pete, in my opinion... yes. But that's me. I like to watch EVERY pirate movie I can find.

Fancy

Aye.. that you are. A modern day story about teens who go in search of the infamous treasure of One-Eyed Willie in order to save their homes. Great 80's teen film & pirate-y film.

Well then, I'll have to give it a look-see. It's on cable all the time, so I am sure to catch it.

But I went to Best Buy yesterday (with $30 worth of coupons!!!) to pick up Season 2 of "Sealab 2021" (I AM ADDICTED!). Had some credit left over, so I shopped around looking for some of the pirate titles that have been bandied about in these various fora.

I only found two pirate titles: "Pirates of Penzance" and "Muppet Treasure Island." Had seen neither. But on the recommendation of a lot of you, I picked up MTI. Quite enjoyable. Surprisingly true to the book ... except perhaps the emaciated castaway Ben Gumm being played by Miss Piggy and a tribe of boars. While watching, I recalled that before the movie was released, Hormel began legal proceedings against Henson & Co for naming one of the movie characters Spa'Am.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Mission, I've never seen Casablanca. Plan to one day... one day.

WHAT?!? Casablanca is, seriously, one of the greatest movies ever made. It is just so ... classic. Excellent acting. Superb script. Great love story (or missed love... or... oh, just see it). Very well done. See it at your earliest opportunity. My favorite scene in the whole movie, is the French singing "La Marseillaise" and drowning out "Das Lied der Deutschen."

Having said that, I must admit that my favorite Bogart movie of all time is The Maltese Falcon . This is Detective Film Noir at its most classic ever.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

OK, OK! I'll put it in my rental que (online dvd rentals, it is on dvd, yes?) And I think I have seen the Maltese Falcon, many, many years ago. But... speaking of old classic movies, I have to say that Captain Blood is one of my favorites. Perhaps not the caliber of classic of Casablanca, (say that 3 times fast) but one of my faves, nonetheless.

Fancy

Having said that, I must admit that my favorite Bogart movie of all time is The Maltese Falcon .  This is Detective Film Noir at its most classic ever.

That was also a great film, but for some reason I actually liked Casablanca a wee bit more. Probably because I liked the Captain Jack/Han Solo-esque character of Capt. Renault.

Still, if you get stuck watching either in a theatre because it's raining out and you're afraid turning into a pile of brown sugar if you go out in it...you'll have spent your time well. The cast is remarkably consistant between the two movies.

________

"All we've got is that maybe you love me and maybe I love you."

"You know whether you love me or not."

"Maybe I do. I'll have some rotten nights after I've sent you over, but that'll pass."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, it was awesome, Fancy. Had the language... but didn't have the octopus scene. Bummers.

I'd like to see some of the old movies. I rather rent them first to decide if I want to buy them. But... the local rental stores around her don't have much of a good selection of old pirate & swashbuckling films. I haven't seen "The Sea Hawk" or many of the old ones. I haven't seen "Casblanca" either. It's just not around here to rent. Sad,m isn't it.

I want' to get "Blackbeard the Pirate" with Robert Newton... but... I can't get ahold of it. I don't like ordering online. As many times as people have told me to do that.... I won't.

HEY! Sheila! Good to have ya with us! BTW... you had an honorable mention in No Quarter Given newsletter... as a girl with "Horns & a green outfit"... hehehehe....

:lol:

Hey LB, nice to see you how are you these days?

I love the Goonies, it's hilarious and the end is just beautiful!

I think the scenes in the cave with the pirate ship/treasure, and the ship sailing out of the cave beats many serious pirate movies for sure.

With serious i mean those old famous movies, this is seen as a youth film, well i think it's one heck of a pirate movie!

They've done a great job on that. :)

hero.jpg

Sean Astin ( Sam from "Lord of the Rings")... Josh Brolin... Corey Feldman... as well as many others who are well known today.

Mama Fertelli is a reat villianess!

I agree though... after they slide down that uber water slide ( I STILL would love to ride on something like that!)... they splash into a cavern where they finally reach, after much peril & death defying acts... One-eyed Willie's ship, the Inferno! Yeah... seeing that ship... splendid! Each time!

What bloody fun it would be to go on that type of adventure... & descover a pirate ship! Who WOULDN'T want to do that?!

BTW, Marjon.. doing good. Life is being the normal pain in the arse at the moment. But.. when it is not. B)

B)

I want' to get "Blackbeard the Pirate" with Robert Newton... but... I can't get ahold of it. I don't like ordering online. As many times as people have told me to do that.... I won't.

You should try asking around at the various places that sell DVDs in your area. You might be able to find a place that will special order titles for you even though they don't carry them in their regular stock. That way you could spend your money at a local business and still get things that are somewhat harder to find. If that doesn't work, you should make sure that your family members know exactly what you want for your birthday/holidays so that they can buy it online for you. :)

Aye... Best Buy.. Suncoast... Sam Goody... & they all give me this deer in the headlight look & won't bend over backwards to give it a shot. Rather pathetic in my opinion. When I know it's available.. they say it's not.

Tried that with my family, too.

I tell ya.... I hold the Barbossa name well. Bad luck.. cursed...

Hmmm.. ::: has a pondering thought..:::

The Goonies though... I adore it. Miss it like crazy... as much as Pirates of the Caribbean... since I haven't seen any of my movies since the fall.

Though... I REALLY wish that Blockbuster & other video rental places would have more older films to rent. I love to rent first to see whether I want to buy the film or not.

Also... I know a Mr Movies here has the complete set of Disney's "Return to Treasure Island" that was done in the 80's... very wicked! I love it! Adventure on both the high seas & inland!

:huh:

BTW, Marjon.. doing good. Life is being the normal pain in the arse at the moment. But.. when it is not.

Hm that s*cks, how's sewing going/

I've not seen Captain Blood yet, very hard to come by those old movies, but i'll get it come day.

One old movie i love, seen it twice but liked it both times, is Mutiny on the Bounty.

Burt Lancaster was awsome!

hero.jpg

Burt Lancaster? You mean Clark Gable? :ph34r: Although Burt was quite fun to watch in the Crimson Pirate! Love those striped pants!

I don't like ordering online. As many times as people have told me to do that.... I won't.

Why not? Did ya have a bit of bad luck before, Lady Barbossa? I used to be scared to order stuff online, but now, I do it all the time. Well, not all the time, but often. :)

Fancy

... I don't like ordering online. As many times as people have told me to do that.... I won't.

To each their own... but I have obtained the most excellent deals on eBay, and through Amazon.com, and other online sources. You need a credit card, some time and patience, and a bit of sales resistance...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg