no quarter given

grapeshotjoe

I believe that there are zillions of phrases that endure, but most are ship related, not pirate; finding their origins from the Navies that ruled the world at the time. No Quarter given is a battle term, not a 'pirate' one specifically. Sorry to burst your bubble, but remember, 'pirate' was just another part-time job for most........

:ph34r:

Grapeshotjoe,

I'm not sure the Royaliste fully answered your question.

In pyracy, it ment no mercy would be shown if the victim did not surrender ; no lives would be spared, and no chance of freedom

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

In other words...strike your colors, prepare to boarded or we will do it over your dead bodies anyway.

This was shown by a change of flags on the attacking ship...the Black flag indicated you are about to be boarded...best drop yer anchor and surrender.

:ph34r: The Red one said we gonna do it anyway so you best run like hell...otherwise we be stepp'n over your boney dead souls.

Most didn't wait for the red to raised. They struck their colors...the attacked taking their flag down as a sign of surrender.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Grapeshotjoe,

I'm not sure the Royaliste fully answered your question.

In pyracy, it ment no mercy would be shown if the victim did not surrender ; no lives would be spared, and no chance of freedom

No Quarter isnt 'pirate', it isnt even particularly nautical, which was my point.....Originally invented by the Greeks, Romans, or somesuch, it's a military term, which would be understood by anyone under fire....DeGuello,' No Quarter', lotsa applications, manylanguages, same meaning...Jolie Rouge, etal.............

yep to both...

it is just most think of it as being in use during the age of piracy.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

The use of red flags can probably be traced back further than that, the Elizabeth Bonaventure, one of the English ships which sailed against the Spanish Armada in 1588, was equipped with several flags and streamers, including a "bluddey flagge"

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk