Official working title for POTC2

Iron Bess

(NOTE: News is a bit old, if you find more updated news please share it.)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 News

From Fred Topel,

Two sequels at the same time with Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom

Jerry Bruckheimer revealed plans for not one, but two sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean. “We made a deal with Gore [Verbinski] to do 2 and 3. We made a deal with [Ted] Elliot and [Terry] Rossio who rewrote the first film. They did an outline for 2 and 3. They’re writing number 2 right now and we’re negotiating with all the actors.”

Bruckheimer plans to shoot the two Pirates sequels simultaneously (“That’s the plan. It could change, but that’s the plan.”) and have the story continue between the two sequels. “It will be continuing, but you’ll definitely have an end at the end of two. The story will pick up again in three.”

Though they are negotiating, Bruckheimer is confident that the lead actors will return. “Johnny [Depp]’s really excited about doing it. You can ask Keira [Knightley]. I think she’s excited about doing it and we’d love to have Orlando [bloom] back. He’s told Gore he wants to do it. So it comes down to if you can financially afford them because they’ve all become bigger stars than they were when we first started three years ago.”

And Geoffrey Rush? “That’s going to be a secret. I’m not going tell you, but we have plans.”

Bruckheimer also hinted that the adventure could expand beyond the Caribbean. “It’ll still be the Caribbean and we might go to Thailand, to the far east.”

For her part, Knightley had not heard the plans to do two sequels at once. “Really?” she asked. “There you go. That will be exciting. I hadn’t heard any total confirmation. You’ve got more information than I have.”

Still, Knightley confirmed interest. “I think we all had such a fantastic time in the first one and I think everybody’s desperate to do the second. And I know that the writers are writing away on it so it will be fabulous.”

(DIFFERENT SITE NOTES)

Release Date: July 7th, 2006 (wide)

Release Date Note: (3/23/05) Disney is aiming for July 7th, 2006, which is just two days shy of being the third anniversary of the release of the first movie.

Title Note: (3/24/04) There's a very strong likelihood that the final title will include a subtitle similar to the first movie's 'The Curse of the Black Pearl.' Cinescape reported a rumor recently that the subtitle might be 'Treasures of the Lost Abyss' (with "The Abyss" possibly being the name of the very first pirate ship in the Caribbean), but that's not confirmed yet. (3/23/05) The subtitle will be 'Dead Man's Chest.'

MPAA Rating Note: (3/23/04) Nothing's official until the MPAA sees the final cut, but it is extremely likely that Disney will aiming for a PG-13 rating similar to the one granted to the first film.

Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures

Production Company: Jerry Bruckheimer Films (King Arthur, National Treasure)

Visual Effects Company: Industrial Light & Magic (Iron Man, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)

Cast: Johnny Depp (Captain Jack Sparrow), Orlando Bloom (Will Turner), Keira Knightley (Elizabeth Swann); other cast not announced yet.

Cast Notes: (3/24/04) Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were all quickly signed on for this sequel after the success of the first movie, but there's no word yet about what other supporting actors might return. There are likely to be new cast members as well. The British tabloids have been running stories about Keith Richards, who inspired Johnny Depp's performance, as coming aboard to play a pirate, but that should be considered strictly just a rumor until someone like Jerry Bruckheimer confirms it.

Director: Gore Verbinski (The Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Mouse Hunt, The Mexican)

Screenwriter: Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio (cowriters of Shrek, Aladdin, The Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl; they've also got National Treasure coming soon)

Based Upon: (3/24/04) This is, of course, the sequel to the surprise blockbuster hit of summer, 2003, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which grossed $305 million theatrically in the U.S. for a worldwide theatrical gross of over $600 million. That movie was loosely inspired by the long-running Disney theme park ride (though not really directly "based upon" it). This is actually one of *two* planned sequels, with the third movie possibly being filmed back-to-back with this one at the same time in 2005 (although the three stars are not yet signed on for that possible third movie).

Premise: (3/24/04) The exact details of this film aren't yet known, but it's likely to depict the continuing adventure of Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), and the young couple (Bloom, Knightley) who discovered they have piracy in their blood and hearts in the first movie.

Filming: (3/24/04) Production is scheduled to start in the Caribbean in January, 2005. There is a strong possibility that this movie may actually filmed back-to-back with 'Pirates of the Caribbean 3.'

What's it about? The second installment will follow Captain Jack Sparrow as he tries to resolve a blood debt to the legendary Davey Jones, ruler of the ocean depths and captain of the ghostly Flying Dutchman. If Jack can not figure a crafty way out of this one, he will be cursed to an afterlife of eternal servitude and damnation. And as if that were not enough, Captain Jack's problems throw a huge wrench into the wedding plans of the blissful Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann, who quickly find themselves thrust into Jack's misadventures.

If anyone finds out anymore info or pictures ect ect go ahead and post them here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

PotC 2 & 3 Rumors and News

This website does a fantastic job of finding articles, photos, and other true-news items ... unfortunately, there's nothing much to report right now 'cause filming has been halted until August (and whether it was an always-planned hiatus, or if they had to stop to fix a script plothole or something, remains unknown, but ah well). Still ... this is definitely a site to keep an eye on. :lol:

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

AARGHH YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOU ANGEL!

Thanks for the link, there's a new pic of Barbossa, FACING THE CAMERA *dos happy dance* THANKS :lol::lol::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

No prob. *grins* He looks as dashing as ever, yah?? (Hey, I'm a Jack fan all the way -- but Geoffrey Rush is my favorite villian-actor ever. EVER.)

And ... no, KoH2 isn't set for release until December. Looks to be worth the wait, though!

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

now i am all hyped up, cus first theres the game (wonder what other movies are on there) and i wonder how barbossa comes back to life? well, there was the monkey at the end, stealing the coin... they were pretty much setting up a sequel right there.

He looks as dashing as ever, yah?
Oh yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss but that dang person in front of him ruines part of the pic GGRRRRRR....

Tishsparrow, i don't care..just that he's back YOOHOOO... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

About Jack, have you guys noticed?

Besides having his right hand full of rings like was discussed, he wears his compass on the left now and wears two leather belts instead of two.

Sofar i cannot see anything new about Barbossa besides he seems to have replaced the feathers LOL (and the two weird things on the other pic which i still wonder what it is... :huh: )

hero.jpg

i wonder how barbossa comes back to life? well, there was the monkey at the end, stealing the coin...

I get the impression (not verified, more from reading into what Iron Bess mentioned here and there) that the sequel has something to do with things coming and going to Hades (including Captain Jack). That might explain how Barbarossa reappears. It doesn't sound as if he's the central villain from what I've inferred. (Although I must admit I haven't made a point of researching this. I'd like to be moderately entertained (and thus surprised) rather than just sitting there checking off the facts of the movie against the rumors when I go to see it. Knowing too much can really spoil the whole thing.) I also get the impression that the chest is no longer the central undead conversion plot device. But who knows? (Iron Bess, that's who.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It is quite int'resting that the shots we have of Jack and Barbossa feature the two of 'em on a black-sand beach ... in front of a blue screen, which stands to reason that the scene is going to be quite digitally altered before we actually get to see it. Perhaps they are standing on the sandy shores of the Underworld, or something like that?!

... I really do love all the Grecian and Egyptian Underworld/afterlife myths, and if PotC 2 & 3 have some plot dealings with some version of the underworld, I shall be QUITE happy. Though, like Mission, I'm content not to know TOO much until I actuall be watching the film itself -- surprises are good!

DANG it!! Now I'm once again dying to see these films ... and we still have a YEAR to go ...

:huh:

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

Jack did shot Barbossa before the curse was lifted. Of course we don’t know how fast the cursed pirates regenerated after receiving injuries, so Barbossa’s heart could have healed and the blood on his chest could have been a flesh wound by the time Will dropped the coin back in to the chest. Or maybe Barbossa had enough life left in him to go to the chest and take a coin back out after Jack left.

Also I read this today on SCIFI.com:

Richards Coming To Pirates

Johnny Depp, who reprises the character of Captain Jack Sparrow in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, told SCI FI Wire that he and director Gore Verbinski are still trying to schedule scenes with Rolling Stones rock star Keith Richards, who will play Sparrow's father, but that it looks promising. "It looks like it's going to happen," Depp told reporters at a news conference in Nassau, Bahamas, where the films are shooting. "But I don't know when. It's all going to depend on where we are and where he is, because he's got a little thing called the Rolling Stones tour to do."

Depp also confirmed that the first sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, took an early hiatus because a key cast member fell ill. "We've been shooting Pirates 2 for, well, it's been a few months ... now," Depp said on June 26. "And we had a hiatus that was planned; actually, probably it was supposed to start ... tomorrow or the next day. And we went into the hiatus a bit early, because there were bits that we were going to shoot up in Grand Bahama [for which] sets and stuff weren't ready. But more than that, one of ... our actors, one of our main guys, Kevin McNally, who plays Gibbs, ended up with a really nasty ear infection in both ears, and he was in England and ... was unable to get on a plane. So they just weighed out all the options and said, 'We'll just break now. Go on hiatus. And when we start up again, we'll finish up the bit from 2.'"

Verbinski will shoot the first and second sequels back to back. Dead Man's Chest reunites the cast from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, including Depp, Orlando Bloom (Will Turner) and Keira Knightley (Elizabeth Swann), and adds Bill Nighy as the ghostly Davy Jones.

Depp met with reporters to promote his upcoming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it was clear he had transitioned into full pirate mode: He sported a scraggly beard, gold-capped teeth and a tattoo with the name "Jack" and the image of a sparrow against a sunrise on his right forearm. But Depp said it was a pleasure returning to the franchise. "It's weird," he said. "We didn't quite know what to expect before we went back into ... Pirates 2. A lot of things happened. ... Orlando's, you know, [in] these big movies. And Keira, you know, all this stuff. And everybody's all over the map. And so we didn't quite know what to expect. And Gore, obviously, Gore's been working like a demon. But honestly, we stepped on the set the first day, and it was like, for me, jumping back into the skin of Captain Jack. ... It felt like we'd had a week off, you know, from the first one. And it's been a really great time, you know? Everybody's been super good and fun, and I think it's going to be good. I hope. I'll knock wood again."

yea... i saw him on extra last night. he did look a bit piratey, and my mom heard him mention the teeth (i was sewing, so i didnt hear it). they probably have to cover the real tatoo, because his is facing a different direction and it has the name under it, and its i different color. kinda silly, covering a tatoo to do the same one over it... :blink:

Yeah..and oh man...another year on top of that before we see the third movie in which Bess said he'll have a really big part.. -_-

Well ... THAT'S only six months, right?! I thought they were releasing PotC 2 in July 2006, and then PotC 3 in December 2006 or January 2007 or something like that ... or am I wrong?! (I HOPE I'm not wrong. PotC films work best, in my opinion, as Summer movies ... but I'd hate to wate so long to find out what happens next after 2 is released!!)

Either way ... I am VERY glad to have PotC 1 on DVD, because I KNOW I could go that long without my Jack Sparrow ... -_-

yea... i saw him on extra last night. he did look a bit piratey, and my mom heard him mention the teeth (i was sewing, so i didnt hear it). they probably have to cover the real tatoo, because his is facing a different direction and it has the name under it, and its i different color. kinda silly, covering a tatoo to do the same one over it... rolleyes.gif

I've thought about that. I read somewhere that Johnny had the real tattoo done to face the other direction because you're always supposed to get a tattoo going _towards_ you -- the way they did Jack Sparrow's tattoo in the film, the sparrow was flying away from him, and so when Johnny had the actual tattoo done, he made sure to get it in the right direction. They're either cover the tattoo (which would be difficult, I imagine) or just make sure that his arm stays hidden during filming, which would be much easier if you ask me ...

Or, they could always leave the tattoo as in and not fuss about such a very small continunity error ...

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

Well ... THAT'S only six months, right?! I thought they were releasing PotC 2 in July 2006, and then PotC 3 in December 2006 or January 2007 or something like that ... or am I wrong?!

Oh that would be great !!!!!!

I hope so but i read it was summer 2007 :(

I sure hope it's sooner.

hero.jpg