Official working title for POTC2

Iron Bess

Since the screen writers, Ted and Terry spilled the bilge at the screening tonight I will share it with you.

(Ahem)

The oficial working title for POTC 2 is:

*DEAD MAN"S CHEST* :o

And once again, they want to make it very clear the Kieth Richards is NOT in the movie.

Night all! :o

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're thinking too hard about this, Joshua. :o

______

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest

Yo ho ho and a bottle of... mom's old fashioned cider!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Or perhaps, it is refering, indeed to the chest of gold upon which the dead Barbossa is laying . . . hmmm, interesting?

That would be my guess. Plus it relates to the popular vision of what piracy was as given to us by that hoary old song. (I just threw the Yosemite Sam ending in for good measure.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thank'ee, Bess.

At least t'studio brass cain't accuse ye of "spillin' the beans" on this one. :o

[Han Solo]"It's not my fault!"[/Han Solo]

:o

Precisely why I feel free to share!

Especially the Kieth Richards thing. The writers are getting very cranky that that rumor will not go away.

They think it takes the attention away from other, more fun things.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Especially the Kieth Richards thing. The writers are getting very cranky that that rumor will not go away.

Such as ..... :o

(shrug) Nothing I can share. :o

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Such as ..... :o

.........The RUM, for one thing! :o

Now THAT... I be WILLING to share Capt'n!! :o

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ahoy, Bess-Roger the Red Again-Escaped The Disney Torture Chamber I Did and I was Wonderin' if You'd Told Anybody Here What They was Build- Oi! Not You Lot Again! (Sounds of a Scuffle as Roger is Choked and Beaten Unconcious, then Dragged off by the D.S.P. Who tie Him to a chair and Make Him Ride "Its a Small World" for Twelve Hours Straight To Be Continued- Himself :rolleyes:

"For I have dipped My Hands in Muddy Waters, and Must a Pirate be- A short but Merry Life shall be My Motto!"- Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks Bess :)

Cool title..wondering again what's in store..LOL, i just cannot wait..

WORKING title lass....

It could certainly change. :rolleyes:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Fifteen men on Pearl's chest, Yo ho ho and give me more rum.

Hmmmm, Pearl sounds like a frisky lass t'me. :rolleyes:

(Sounds of a Scuffle as Roger is Choked and Beaten Unconcious, then Dragged off by the D.S.P.  Who tie Him to a chair and Make Him Ride "Its a Small World" for Twelve Hours Straight To Be Continued-

ARRRGH! Now that be torture, matey! :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

The Keith Richards thing started as a joke -- if I recall correclty, in Entertainment Weekly magazine, although it may have been reported in the magazine as a joke said on, for instance, Conan O'Brien.

I was amazed over the life-follows-art thing when it was reported here as "fact."

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Bess, Ye might need to remind Jamaca Rose of the Keith Richards rumor as the good crew of NQG, are reporting that it be true.

Aye, Jamaica and I are in the Port Royals together so I let her know stright away.

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

As i forgot to say when i posted this(MY sinsere apologies Grace), this was originally posted by Grace O'Malley on the Crossing Blades forum B)

Report from The Pirates Panel: Dead Man's Chest

By Maura Reilly Jan 16, 2005, 23:40 GMT

When the producers and writers of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" sat down to research pirate movies, they had to go back a few years to find a decent one. To their estimation, it wouldn’t be exaggerating to say that the last decent pirate movie was made in 1959.

A panel of filmmakers and moderator, author Frank Thompson (Tim Burton’s "Nightmare before Christmas") spoke before an enthusiastic crowd (including a good number of Jack Sparrows) January 11th at the historic El Capitan Theater in Hollywood.

They discussed the risk of making a pirate movie today, the challenges of incorporating elements from the beloved Disneyland ride into the story, and a few tidbits about "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest."

Frank Thompson: This is just such a pleasure for me to be here in the beautiful theater and not only this so wonderful and lovely to be here, but I’m also relatively sure we’re not in the slide zone. This is quite the experience.

You know years ago they used to make pirate movies by the dozen. When you walked down the street you’d get hit in the face by a pirate movie, everywhere you’d move. They were like cicadas. But they just stopped making them. And so when I first heard that this movie was going to be made, my first impulse was to think “that’s a mistake.” And then when I saw the film I said “that wasn’t a mistake at all!

This was a great, great movie.” I found out that it is absolutely the most requested film in the old Capitan’s history. And the reason that it is being shown tonight is by popular demand. We have some great people who worked on the film with us tonight. They’re going to share some behind the scenes stories. We’re gonna find out what Johnny Depp was really like. So let’s introduce them and bring them out.

I’m going to start with the Second Unit director, the Executive Producer and the Production Manager and that’s all one guy. He worked on Pearl Harbor, Country Bears, and he’s also working on a couple of other movies that I hope you’ll see called Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3. [He’s] a man by the name of Bruce Hendricks.

[Next is] the Senior VP of Visual Effects on Pirates of the Caribbean and those of you that know the film know how spectacular those effects are. He’s worked on an amazing array of films from "Back to the Future," "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back," many many more, "Ghostbusters," it goes on and on. He did some of his most wonderful work, I think on Pirates and his name is Art Repola. Please welcome him.

The two men who originally wrote the script have worked together on many occasions. They wrote "Aladdin," "Treasure Planet," "Godzilla," "Mask of Zorro," "Shrek," "Shrek 2," and they’re also working on the next two Pirates of the Caribbean films. So if you can keep them apart, I’ll introduce them one at a time. First: Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio.

And we wanted to get one of the hunks from the cast. So we figured out that we’ve got one of the greats. He’s been in over 40 feature films including "Dungeons and Dragons," the amazing "I Woke up Early the Day I Die, "(if you’ve never seen it, you’ve got to see it), the great comedy called "Tapeheads." He’s been in a ga-zillion TV shows, if I’ve counted correctly: “Scrubs”, “Charmed”, “CSI”, on and on and on. If you’ve seen the film you’ll be delighted to notice when he comes out that his skin and teeth have cleared up very much. Welcome Lee Arenberg.

A shout from the audience: We like mayonnaise!

Lee Arenberg: The eyes were still yellow there.

Frank: Well this movie was I would say a fairly complicated thing to make. Let’s talk about Special Effects first and then we’ll move onto locations and then stories about it. Let’s talk about some of the Special Effects. I was particularly taken with all the pirates who are human beings one minute and rotting corpses the next, because I feel like that so often. Give us a little bit about how that magic was made.

Art Repola: Well the good news on having to make the pirates for the movie and the skeletons was that we had great actors that we modeled the skeleton pirates after. So we would shoot a scene with the real actors in there performing what they did. They’d come out, we’d shoot it empty and that would give us the guide to put in the CG generated skeletons.

Frank: So give us a little bit of background on how that’s done. We don’t want to ruin the effect of it totally…

Art: Some of the challenges were just the look of the pirates in different environments: the underwater look, the “in the moonlight” look, exteriors, interiors. And again the scenes were basically shot, lit on the ships with the real actors. And that was used as a guide to the animators to create and animate the skeletons. Typically if you animating a creature or something like that you don’t really have anything to follow. But the actors did such a great job of laying the blueprint for us that we had something to follow and make the magic that you just saw.

Frank: Ted and Terry you guys wrote the script to begin with. It obviously was based on the ride, slightly. But the ride doesn’t have that much of a story, does it? So what kind of guidance did you have originally and what kind of experience was it to do a pirate movie when nobody’s done one for all this time?

Ted Elliott: Actually the interesting background on this movie is that we first pitched doing a movie based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, with the supernatural angle, including the skeleton pirates in ’92, just after we finished working on Aladdin. And at that point Disney, different management (looking at Bruce), said: “no…no.” So 10 years later they finally caught up to our thinking. So we’d been thinking about this movie for a decade before we actually got a chance finally to write it.

Terry Rossio: Actually there were a number of times where…I mean it was really fun to integrate elements of the ride and there were a number of times where we’d be stuck [on] a story point, and be looking for some solution and we would go to the ride and…

Ted: Literally by the way.

Terry: You know go “Woo!” down the… And credit definitely has to go to Mark Davis for creating really a series of scenarios that we could draw from.

Ted: But I do object. There is actually is a story to the ride.

Frank: Well there is. But it’s not exactly the story of the movie.

Ted: It’s not exactly the story of the movie. But in fact there is the mutiny, there is the cursed treasure, (“you’ve seen the cursed treasure”) all of that. And all of that went into the thinking. What I think Terry and I brought actually to the project was the idea of: “well let’s not ignore the ride, let’s embrace it.”

Terry: I think the experience of seeing the movie is similar to the experience you have on the ride when you’re a kid for the first time. We couldn’t fit in that guy with the magnifying glass in bed, though. I’m upset about that. We couldn’t find a place for that.

Frank: And what about the dunking mayor, too?

Terry: They shot that. They shot the dunking mayor. Yeah, it just didn’t make the final cut.

Ted: Is it on the extras disc? Do they have that long shot of the square? [Answers of yes from the audience.] So there you go. There was a whole bunch of stuff there.

Bruce Hendricks: We had a bunch of Country Bears left over too but they didn’t want to use those either for some reason.

Frank: Some day the director’s cut of "Country Bears" is going to come out and you’ll be vindicated.

Terry: Well you know, "Country Bears" paved the way for…

Bruce: Actually it was "Rollercoaster the Movie" (1977) that kind of set the whole tempo for these.

Lee: That was a good movie.

Ted: Sensurrond Dude.

Lee: The Bomber.

Ted: Ok, we’re gonna stop having our conversation now. Geek alert!

Frank: Now what point of the process did the cast start coming together? Were you writing any of the script with specific people in mind?

Terry: The phrase I love is that “Johnny Depp is circling the project.”

Ted: “Shark like.”

Terry: So you’re writing it and your trying to go “Oh my god, if Johnny likes it he’ll do it.” But I just love that he’s “circling the project.”

Ted: The interesting thing is that Disney of course they wanted Johnny to do the project. So did Jerry Bruckheimer and everyone involved. What that did was it gave us license to write the character, keeping in mind the kinds of things Johnny Depp likes to do and is willing to do. So there was a greater freedom really. Knowing that we had to get him we wrote a character that he would want to play.

cont'd in next post...

hero.jpg