My garb looks too new!

Morgan Swift

Not your splendid Ottoman garb, I hope.

I would think larger drill bits would play hell with the machine's drum. Although when you say larger, I'm thinking of better than 1/2".

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

So go to one of those self-serve automated laundromats with no guard there? Because I certainly wouldn't dare try that with my home washer.

Also, have tried staining and burning cotton canvas...used it to make a cook's apron, and the stuff is apparently unburnable. The fires go out almost as fast as they are lit! If I pour something flammable on it, the flammable material burns off and the apron is left in good shape. Even grill grime washed out of the stupid apron......

Also, have tried staining and burning cotton canvas...used it to make a cook's apron, and the stuff is apparently unburnable. The fires go out almost as fast as they are lit! If I pour something flammable on it, the flammable material burns off and the apron is left in good shape. Even grill grime washed out of the stupid apron......

Have you tried heating a piece of metal red hot and pressing it into the fabric? That has the added benefit of being what would actually happen to the material. You could even use metal pots and pans.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

You can follow the post , bookmark it or do a search for the topic subject if you want to find it in the future.

The trouble with pinning topics is that there are a lot of good threads in here. If we flagged them all the first couple of pages would never change and you still wouldn't be able to find the one you want. ;) (I personally love the search function. But I also like to go through the back 40 pages of this forum and dredge up old posts on occasion too.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Lady Laura -

In Mara Riley's book Whatever Shall I Wearthere are some aging hints using sandpaper, soot, mineral oil, tea and cigarettes. :blink:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to say, a popular 1980's way to age 501 blue jeans and blow out the knees was with sandpaper.

First you would put them on, sit or squat down and lightly sandpaper one or both of the knees, then the pant leg hems and outer raised seam edges - making sure to avoid sanding/breaking/stressing any actual seam stitching, you want to try and maintain the integrity of your garment. After that, a couple good heavy washings in hot water, accompanied by a little Clorox and you're ready to hit the Palladium and go see the Ramones. . .

. . . Now I know why no one talked to me at that Ramones show. . .

Like anyone ever talked to anyone else at those shows anyway. . . oh wait, I did.

If I had seen you at the Ramones, I would have gladly talked to you.

. . . I had authentic holes in my pants. . .

. . . well, I didn't want anyone to think I was a poser and question my authentic punk rockness.

Agree with the naturalist here. If you need a quick weathering for theater or film, then the fake route will be the best way forward... but if these are your re-enactment clothes, that you will own/wear/use/loan over an extended period of time, the natural use might be the best bet.

It doesn't take many events of sitting around and working the campfire, cleaning guns in your lap after a demonstration, or setting up/taking down tents and displays to make the clothes lived in/aged.

Plus, after about 10 events you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it the hard way.

If you use chalk, paint, and other artistry, it will look great when done, but maybe not so good when its has been washed and used for 5 weekends worth of events.

Good luck though

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 3 weeks later...

i like blood it makes a good period stain that doesnt really come out.anytime i injure myself i just wipe it on my slops.

Adam -

Actually some of the new stain remover packets work wonders. I aged one shirt, it went into the wash and came out like new... the only thing not removed was the frayed collar and cuffs. :blink: Now I've gotta' start from scratch again. :unsure:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Actually some of the new stain remover packets work wonders. I aged one shirt, it went into the wash and came out like new... the only thing not removed was the frayed collar and cuffs. :blink: Now I've gotta' start from scratch again. :unsure:

LOL Actually I had the same problem with my very first shirt - it looked great for a long time. . . but then I washed it.

I did a coffee / tea dye on it, but it pretty much fell apart after a few more wears.