Florida Road Trip

Rogue Mermaid

My best friend and I are throwing around the idea of a road trip sometime this winter. We'd like to go somewhere in Florida. She's been before (but not since she was 13) and I've never been further south than Virginia. Where would you good pirates recommend that two 26 year olds wouldn't be gett'n themselves killed? I want to go somewhere near the beach with a fun nightlife.

Definitely Key West. The beaches are good (go to the one at Fort Zachary Taylor) and the nightlife - well, outside of New Orleans there is no equal. We have pirates in our crewe down there we can hook you up with.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oh definitely-

Key West!

Here is a list of things to do in Key West (while you're drinking):

-Captain Tony's

-The beach (the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor is great but hey, anywhere in Key West - it's a beach.)

-Mel Fisher Museum

-Captain Tony's

-Sunset Festival

-Captain Tony's

-Fantaseas Weddings for costumes

-and finally, back to Captain Tony's

And of course, you could stop by Orlando on your way, and say hi to your Pyrate friends.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I agree with the others fully. Bone Island is a wonderous place on many levels. If you are driving, watch the mailboxes as you meander A1A. Like most popular destination, rates for accomodations fluctuate according to the time of year and what is going on currently. If you are going by RV of with a travel trailer, I recomend staying on Fiesta Key, not a long drive from there to Key West proper. It's a KOA, the folks that run it are very friendly and accomodating. (And it's a helluva lot cheaper than lodgings on K.W.)

There is a ton of history to explore and knowledge to be gained. Papa Hemingway had a house there and tours are available, the descendents of his polydactyl cats still roam the grounds. Audabon had a house there, also. I could go on for hours. :ph34r: Check into the day trip to the Dry Tortugas.

As Jimmy says, "It's the end of the real world."

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

Oh definitely-

Key West!

Here is a list of things to do in Key West (while you're drinking):

-Captain Tony's

-The beach (the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor is great but hey, anywhere in Key West - it's a beach.)

-Mel Fisher Museum

-Captain Tony's

-Sunset Festival

-Captain Tony's

-Fantaseas Weddings for costumes

-and finally, back to Captain Tony's

And of course, you could stop by Orlando on your way, and say hi to your Pyrate friends.

This sounds almost like the exact tour of Key West that you gave me, dear Nigel. :ph34r: A good one indeed.

By all means, kill the whelp!

...or at least give him a good flogging. Better yet, let me do it.

Flogger * Pyrates of the Coast

Bloodthirsty Novelist

Pyrate Adventuress

So far it sounds like Key West is the place to go!

Nothing is written in stone yet but I badly want to take this trip. We are probly going to drive (plain old car no rv) since we are broke as they come. If we do this I'll definatly keep you guys posted, I'd love to meet some fellow pub patrons.

keep in mind that that there is a youth hostel in key west. I believe it's about $28 per night per person for dorm style accomodations. I stayed there when I moved to Key West and it's not so bad. close to Duval St. You can pretty much walk anywhere from there. I'm pretty sure you need reservations. I don't know much about it, but I can find out more if you like. In season down here, that's as cheap as it gets!

http://www.keywesthostel.com/

this link will give you more info. the buttons to look at the different pages are at the top.

Hope to see you!!!!

Deadly Aim

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

This sounds almost like the exact tour of Key West that you gave me, dear Nigel. :lol: A good one indeed.

Ah yes, the memories.

And I am looking forward to you being my tour guide this weekend.

:lol:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

what time frame are ya lookin at? and besides piratin, what are ya into???

some of us might be meetin up for the gasparilla parade at the end of jan. (all pirates mardi gras style)

you could snorkle with the manatees up until march at crystal river. ive heard this is very cool because not only are you in crystal clear spring (72 degrees year round) water, but they come right up to you. sometimes bump you!

you can camp in the everglades...

and if you are into the disney thing...

besides....you bein from virginia....might have a hammock you guys can sleep in fer a few nights...you provide you own rum of course :lol:

(im just outside of tampa, just moved here from wash dc)

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

So am I. I'll show you the best bars at Disney World if you like. Heh!

Heh.

besides....you bein from virginia....might have a hammock you guys can sleep in fer a few nights...you provide you own rum of course :P

(im just outside of tampa, just moved here from wash dc)

That is a very kind offer. Unfortunatly we are from Maryland :P so I hope that doesn't change your mind! :huh: Of course we would provide our own rum and plenty to share. After all it's rum, don't leave home without it.

Right now we are talking about April so we'll have time to save up some money and vacation time. Bummer, I'll miss the manatees and the Mardi Gras. :huh: I'm sure there will be something awesome to do whenever we come.

When I'm not being piratical I like all doing all sorts of things. Dancing, Drinking, Karaoke....... (I sound like a cat in heat though :P )

• 2 weeks later...

TRIP UPDATE! After discussing our road trip last Friday, my friend and I decided to go to Orlando instead of Key West (shorter trip). Still don't know when, still don't know for how long, but I do know that now I have no excuse to not meet some of the crew of the Black Heart!

Rogue Mermaid Posted on Jan 11 2005, 01:56 PM

TRIP UPDATE! After discussing our road trip last Friday, my friend and I decided to go to Orlando instead of Key West (shorter trip). Still don't know when, still don't know for how long, but I do know that now I have no excuse to not meet some of the crew of the Black Heart! 

woohoo yeah! another victim i mean recruit!!!! lol if you're headed to ord...don't forget to take a day and go to the beach...cocoa is nice & has the famous ron jon surf shop open 24hours. also kennedy space center is right down the road. i went there last year, highly recc. it!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Let us know when your course is set and we'll provide you with some great "to dos while you're here" and we'll be happy to meet up with you...

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Indeed, let us know and we shall provide ye with a proper pyratey Portlando welcome.

Nigel Posted on Jan 11 2005, 10:31 PM

Indeed, let us know and we shall provide ye with a proper pyratey Portlando welcome. 

how bout orlampa??? lol

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

Aw, you guys are the best. As soon as we set the date for travel'n I'll be on here post'n it. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! I assure you my travel'n pal while not a member of the pub is pirate friendly. When we went to the PA Renn Faire last year she said she wouldn't dress up unless she could be a pirate. Good Lass that one.

I'll definatly have to go to the beaches while in Florida Paisley! The water at the beach up here is brownish/green and you can't see through it (that doesn't mean I don't swim in it :lol: )

I'm going to get spoiled with the clear blue sea!

Rogue Mermaid Posted on Jan 12 2005, 01:14 PM

I'm going to get spoiled with the clear blue sea! 

i'm afraid you'll have to go a bit further south if you want a "real blue" sea...lol...but you can have crystal clear springs!

at least it's not like the chesapeake or potomac! thats fer sure!!!!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

If yer into history, you couldn't do better than St. Augustine. There's a Spanish fort that dates back to the 1500's. There's Spanish Village, a living history recreation of the town as it existed in the 1740's. There are events throughout the year commemorating Menendez' (the town's founder) birthday, Drake's Raid, Searles Raid. You practically trip over old cannon as you walk around the town!

I can't vouch for nightlife. I'm old. I sleep at night! :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

And don't forget the Fountain of Youth - though I enjoyed what I drank at the St. Sebastian winery better!

St. Augustine is beautiful and really worth seeing.

By all means, kill the whelp!

...or at least give him a good flogging. Better yet, let me do it.

Flogger * Pyrates of the Coast

Bloodthirsty Novelist

Pyrate Adventuress

There's a city there near the winery? Wow! Who would have guessed (hic)...

Found a distillery in Florida as well. Empire Winery and Distillery. I sense a Road Trip...

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 1 month later...