Piratical (or not) Predecessors

Legerdemain

Sorry about starting another new topic.

This is a letter my great great grandfather wrote about his life. As far as I know, Great Great Grandfather Brumshagen had three ships, all of which he "lost". Pretty awful, I think, to go from Captain to night watchman. I don't think I'd survive it.

Someone should have told him about paragraphs. The letter was originally written in German. The translator should have just typed it up. She had bad cursive. Hope you enjoy.

My life as I remember it.

In the year of 1839, April 14, I was born in Bodstedl, a small town in Vorpommern County seat Stralsund (this is the name of the city) Province, Germany. My father was a mill owner. Up to my 6th year my parents took care of me. Starting with my 6th year I went to school in town until my 14th year, when I was confirmed. School was a pleasure for me. During my 8 years in public school I also received private lessons in Arithmetic, Mathematics, and Geography. At this time I decided to become a seaman with the permission of my parents. I went to sea in sailships(?), After I spent the necessary time with different ships under the Prussian flag in all of the oceans I entered a navigation school to gain more knowledge in order to enter an advanced school. After passing the examination there, I entered the advanced navigation school in 1861 in Stralsund. After eleven months of hard work I passed the examination there for first mate. Which also permitted to steer the ship. From my 21st year to my 27th year I was at see in all kinds of German ships and in all oceans. I then went to skipper school in Barth near where I was born. After eight months there I passed my examination as skipper 1st class (Captain). Made several more trips with different ships as 1st class mate or skipper. In my 31st year I married Friedchen Weise. In 1873-74 I built my own ship, "Sophie", a three master. Took my ship mostly to the Indian Ocean, between Australia, Africa, and India. During this time I lost my wife who left me with two children, my son Leopold and daughter Elfriede. I got married the second time with Anna Görs in South Australia. In June 1880 I arrived again in European waters. Took a few more trips between England and the West Indies. Here I lost my ship near the Grand Cayman Islands. Then I came to New York and quit the sea for good. I decided to stay in America and looked for a job. I became a night watchman for the Brighton Pier and Navigation Company. This job I still hold today after almost 21 years. Four years ago I lost my second wife, Anna Görs, on January 20th. Last November I lost my oldest daughter Elfriede - children from the first marriage were Leopold, Elfriede from the second marriage Johny, Nelly, Charly, Pauly, Lillie, Adelaide, and Richard.

Johann Joachim Friedrich Brumshagen

January 16, 1905

Coney Island

-Mariesigpolly.gif

Oh Legerdemain!!!

That was just fabulous! It is the perfect example of why we all need to write down something about ourselves and our lives. It doesn't have to be an epic novel or even well written, but if it can survive and you've managed to instill a sense of history in your family, it will be treasured and provide a window into the past. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you're passing out lots of copies to every branch of your family!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Oh Legerdemain!!!

That was just fabulous! It is the perfect example of why we all need to write down something about ourselves and our lives. It doesn't have to be an epic novel or even well written, but if it can survive and you've managed to instill a sense of history in your family, it will be treasured and provide a window into the past. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you're passing out lots of copies to every branch of your family!!

Ah, well... you're welcome. My grandmother's the one who actually has the letter. She let me borrow it and the translation for a family history project we had to do for school. Er, nae, to the copies, but my grandmother's sister's side of the family is working on the history.

-Mariesigpolly.gif

thanx Legerdemain,

just love to read that kind of stuff.

:ph34r:

Yer welcome, mate. Though, I don't think this was exactly the place to post this as the subject of "Captain Twill" mentions something about academic talk. I don't know enough about ships, or seafaring life, to talk knowledgeably about them.

-Mariesigpolly.gif