Cutthroat Island weigh in

Firethorn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...more believable than DAVY JONES and his SEAFOOD BUFFET! -_-

That's true. I POTC 2&3 made me SO HUNGRY.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I have a hard time getting past the spurs....sorry, I just do. I mean, I wouldn't mind everything blowing up, as long as the spurs went first...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i wondered about the spurs. I mean, they added a sound effect and everything, but...why? Is this supposed to be more villain-like?

"Your spurs."

"There are two kinds of spurs, my friend. Those that come in by the door... (Tuco crosses himself) ...and those that come in by the window."

(And, apparently there is a third type: those that came on pirate villains.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

ha ha ha,,...that's so funny it happened to be on the Latino station the other night and was listed as "La Pirata"...beau and I started to watch it...and I am thinking hey this is good...it reminds me of another film..I am thinking...oh yeah Cuthroat Island...then I went and pulled it out of my film drawer and produced the VHS tape I bought for a 3 for 20 buck gig at Hollywood Vid. I said to beau we don't have to watch it in spanish I have it....we chuckled because the name change threw us off. I liked it...I liked it from the first time I saw it and still again I like it.

Joshua...I love those three movies as well. So far I only have Captain Blood. (ooh..Jamie..boy!)

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Oh ... I liked it back when I originally saw it, and I recently bought a copy on DVD. It's a good romp. And Matthew Modine was yummy.

Generally, I usually like Geena Davis as an actor ... but I must admit she seemed a bit wooden in this film at times. But that's maybe at least partially attributable to weak direction and scriptwriting.

Still ... well worth seeing/owning, I'd say. Definite popcorn flik.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Poor Cutthroat Island....I like the movie very much and it was filmed in a time when pirates had no luster, so I always give the movie a little extra credit. Disney took no risks in Making PoTC, the title alone carried the first movie. Spurs, Gina's cheesy acting, Capt Doggs Sword fish cutlass, all very Hollywood, but at least they portrayed Port Royal in a correct manner. Then all the little details were much more thoughtful, like along the docks with men hanging in Irons..All the ships, the background scenes, all the extras...And i'm sure they didn't have a ton of green screens around them at all times, plus the stuntmen really did the stunts.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

It looked like they took everything from the period and threw it in, regardless of whether it had a place in GAoP or not. I thought Dogg's sword was accurate. It's a dussage I believe... But I love the shot of the pirates raising the anchor, they are pushing the capstan and around comes a pirate wearing thigh high riding boots. Not just boots that roll up over the knees but the kind that flare out. That seemed a bit much...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Can't really fault Cutthroat Island for straying from a historic GAoP mooring. It was never intended to be history. The real question as with PoC should be, was it good by the standards of Hollywood pirate movies.

Much of the movie was over the top, both in terms of characters and action, but really, is that so bad?

It is embarassing to admit, but I liked Geena Davis <_< in the role. I thought she played a plucky and practical protagonist. In world of crazies, she is the levelheaded center of the story able to face any challenge with sheer determination.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

It's a bit funny to me that most of the activities assigned to pirates in the movies were actually from the buccaneer era. Port Royal in GAoP was a shadow of its former self and not a safe haven for pirates at all. Buccaneers mounted land campaigns and sacked towns, not pirates (as a general rule... I'm sure there's an exception to the rule as always). Hostages, randsom, full out battles with Spanish forts... all buccaneer era and usually pre 1675.

That's just the top of my head.

Once you show a Captain Sparrow waltzing into Port Royal it gets a little crazy from there on. At least they were hunting for Morgan Adams in the town during her visit...

Plus, if you've ever had the pleasure of examining the costuming from Cutthroat Island, it is immaculate in design and authenticity. The only other hand stitched movie garments I've seen since CI is from the 2003 Peter Pan. The pants are all wool and hand sewn. Quite amazing the look at.

I think CI blew most of its budget on the authentic costuming and the two ships they had built.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I got my $5 Walmart DVD copy here in my desk at work. There's nothing going on at all tonight; I think I'll throw it in the computer and have another look.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Davis an Modine be hangin' offen ropes outside the treasure cave in one scene. The pilfered chest is tied to the rope below Modine. As they leggo the rope to escape from Dog, where does the treasure chest be disappearin' too? It surren as hades ain't on the end 'o the rope no more :D

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

• 1 month later...

I to Wallyworld yesterday and low and behold there was a copy of CI in the $5 bin. I saw this in the theater and didn't think it was all that bad. I think I mostly liked looking at Geena Davis with all that firepower hanging on her. I'm looking forward to watching it this weekend.

What I really enjoyed about CI was the guy who played the Governor, he was wonderfully dry.

It certainly was no more accurate than the POTC movies, but it managed to capture a much better seedy atmosphere, imo.

LOTS of continuity errors though. I forget the exact dates, but at some point we are told the year the movie happens in...1665 or something like that. But later on there is a scene of Shaw finding a journal with a date of 1679 stamped on the front.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

• 2 months later...

I'm no big fan of Cutthroat Island, for years I have considered it the worse pirate movie ever, but then I saw the movie Black Swan. Cutthroat Island is the much better film, when you compare the two. True both films have a lead that can't act and Black Swan has a better plot, can't stand the fact everyone in CI is related, but CI is full of action and has real ships. Black Swan is slow, lacking action, and they use models. The truth is that CI is a really bad movie when compared to films like Sea Hawk or Captain Blood, but when it goes head to head with Black Swan it wins hands down. :(

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

• 5 weeks later...

Hands down, the worst pirate movie has to be "Blackbeard" by Hallmark. :ph34r:

The 2nd worst would have to be National Geographic's "Blackbeard, Terror at Sea". Talk about taking license with history. :ph34r:

POTC 2 and 3- bleh.. :ph34r:

"Cutthroat Island" at least captures the essence of a Saturday matinee.

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with the Hallmark "Blackbeard" sucking. It was horrible. But I have to disagree with Pirates of the Caribbean 2-3. I loved them. Plus, they weren't trying to come across as an actual hisorical piece like Hallmarkbeard was.

As for Cutthroat Island....come on, it's fun to watch if you are not too uptight. I mean, Gena Davis as a pirate ? I cracked up at the thought of the nympho vampire Odette from Transylvania 6-5000 playing a pirate captain. :huh: