We've lost Deacon Frye

Wow That was fast.,Something must have happened., their was no mention of illness., yea I just checked his last post was August 10'th.,

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thanks John. I saw the obit and e-mailed Thomas McDonald to place the obit here on the Pub as the Pub wasn't on the list he had sent the obit. I'll miss Scott. He was a good man and contributed is knowledge and humor both here and on Sword Forum.

Let's have a wake for Scott Bubar aka Deacon Frye! It maybe a couple of months late but being so near to Samhain Scott has a better chance of hearing us!

I says well all drink a toast to Scott and I've got the rum! :( :)

To a great pirate Deacon Frye!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I'm sitting here wi' me pistol in me sash, me cutlass in one hand and a cup o' claret in the other, (don't ask how I'm typing) drinking a toast to th' Deacon. He never indited a post that wasn't learned and wise. We'll not see his like again. I suspect that, like a true pirate, he didn't want to burden his shipmates with his health problems. I vote that we retire his avatar and not let a newbie appropriate it (it was one of the best, Pyle's Captain Kidd, so someone's going to want to use it.) What say ye?

Greetings friends

I was informed by Red Maria that we shared a mutual friend in Scott Bubar, aka Deacon Frye !

Scott certainly touched alot of folks and was repected, & loved, by many a community around this world wide web ....

I cannot even imagine how hard his passing was on his family, and close friends at home in CT.

The following are posts that I did at the time of his passing, I was not aware of his participation on this board so please except my apology !

Slàinte, Mac

It is with great sorrow, and a heavy heart, that I bring you the news of our good friend Scott Bubar's passing !

I received the following e-mail from Scott's son , Jonathan ( his pride & joy) and its contents left me stunned and saddened.

"Hi Tom,

For the several past months my father has been in poor health. I recently finished a vacation with my father in Maine where his health was increasingly deteriorating. On August 24, my father died of heart failure. It was my father's wishes that I would inform the members of sword forum if he ever died. I was hoping that you, Tom, would be able to relay this message to the members of the forum. I am sorry for putting this burden on your shoulders, but at the present time I am having trouble registering with sword forum. I am also unaware as to where on the forum my Dad has posted. Once again I apologize for putting this burden on you, however I would really appreciate it if you could inform the members. -- Thank You, Jonathan Bubar"

My reply to Jonathan & Family :

Dear Jonathan

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad .... this comes as a real shock !

Please express my deepest condolences to your family, and of course to you, his pride & joy!

(he spoke to me often about you, as I did with him about my daughter Rachel, he was very very proud of you!)

I will of course notify his Forum friends on SFI, NetSword, MyArmoury, and the Mohican boards, to which he was such a great contributor & friend !

I feel honored that you asked me to do this for Scott !

Your Dad was a very special man .... I'm glad that I had the chance to speak with him on the phone a few times, share many a good e-mail, and of course the hundreds of Forum discussions ! ( Scott always raised the most interesting questions, and usually found the answers before most of us :-)

He will be missed ....

Rest in Peace, my friend, the pipes will lead you home !

Please keep in touch, Jonathan ! -- Thomas aka Mac

God Bless you, Scott ! Your friend, Mac

Here are links to boards that I placed this message, concerning Scott !

If anyone knows of any other places that should be notified please let me know !

Peace, Mac

NetSword :

http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002257.html

Sword Forum:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.ph...6046#post436046

Mohican Board:

http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/t...p?TOPIC_ID=2542

myArmoury:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2182

Viking Sword:

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002468.html

legacy.com had the following notice about our good friend !

*Be sure and sign his guestbook , Peace, Mac

http://legacy.com/Legacy.asp?Page=LifeStor...ersonID=2554127

Scott Bubar (Sikandur)

mcdonaldthomas-2039.jpg

Scott Bubar, a Stamford, CT resident for the past 16 years, passed away on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at Stamford Hospital, Stamford, CT. Born May 31, 1951 in Brooklyn, NY, he was the son of the late Harley Marshman and Margaret Weber Bubar. He was 53.

Scott grew up in Darien, CT and graduated valedictorian from Darien High School. He also graduated from Yale University. He was a long time employee of the Stamford Hospital most recently working as a case manager.

He is survived by his son, Jonathan Aston Bubar of Stamford, CT and his long time companion, Pauline Costanzo also of Stamford, CT. He is also survived by one brother Mark S. Bubar of Riverside, CT and a half-brother Robert Bruce Perkins of Mandeville, LA.

A Funeral Service will be held at the Edward Lawrence Funeral Home on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 12:00 Noon with Rev. Mark Scarlata of Stanwich Congregation Church in Greenwich, CT. Burial will follow at Spring Grove Cemetery, Darien, CT.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Stamford Health Foundation, 2015 West Main Street, P. O. Box 110315, Stamford, CT 06913.

------------------

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'

This is very sad news. I didn't know the Deacon personally, but I'm saddened nonetheless. He was a very knowledgeable man.

Best wishes to his friends and family.

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Aye.... tis sad news indeed. :huh:

How would pirates mourn the loss of one of them? I'll be wearin' a black ribbon as an armband on Halloween as I wear my black pirate outfit in memory of this great fellow pirate.

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Alas, no I didn't know this...It is always a sad day to hear of one's passing...will say some prayers for him and his family.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

alas, as stated I didn't know the gentleman personally, but have read some of his posts. He will be missed and my prayers to his family.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Tis sad indeed, to hear of the passing of a fellow pirate, e'en moreso when they are respected by so many.

A salute to ye, Deacon.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I knew him only from his posts, but wondered where he had gone. I missed his input on the boards, but I'd been out for so long that I figured he had other things to do. I can't believe it. I learned many things from him, and others on this board. I first started here as a dorky guy who liked cartoony pirates, but the real history of pirates is fascinating, and Deacon Frye never shared his knowledge in a way that made someone feel small. It's odd to read so many posts and realize I'll probably never actually meet any of you. I really think the boards have lost something with losing him.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Oh no! I will miss him greatly.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg