How to make re-enactment-safe grenades

Fox

Hi all,

a few years ago we did some experiments with battlefield safe grenades for re-enactment. The obvious problem is that your cannot guarantee control over where they land, or bouce to etc.

We made papier-mache balls with a hole in the middle, then pushed a crow scarer (like a big banger) into the hole, then packed it out with sawdust if I remember correctly. The result was a device that you could quite happily set off on a table in front of you without any ill effects. The whole thing was painted black, the fuse lit then hurled in the direction of your enemy. Obviously care was taken to throw them away from any audience and to make them fall somewhat short of the enemy, that way nobody was too close - just in case. The result was a bang about the volume of a musket and a small puff of "smoke" as the sawdust sprayed around.

The only trouble was that they were time consuming to make, could only be used once and despite safety demonstrations still got the people on the other side scared so we only used em a couple of times.

We are thinking of using them again, but since I only remember the construction vaguely we're gonna have to experiment again to get it right. If you want to have a go with them I'd also recommend doing some safety experiments first.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

While I've never made any, I have had some tossed my way.

As I understand it:

Take one tennis ball.

Strip it.

Fill an empty plastic film canister with n grains of powder.

Insert fuse into cannister.

Stuff it into tennis ball.

Seal it.

Paint it black.

Blackjohn

ps - kids, DON'T try this at home!!!!!!!!!!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

We used to make them this way:

- take a tennis ball that's lost its bounce

- burn tennis ball gently with a torch

(this does three things: it makes it black, it removes the furry covering, and it vulcaizes the rubber, decreasing the ball's ability to bounce)

I think we put a mix of talc or baking powder into the balls with the grains of powder for smoke effect. We drilled right into the balls (no film canisters) and put the fuse in the same hole we used to fill them.

The tennis balls just pop open gently at the seams when they go off. I knew and ECW guy who had one go off in his bucket-topped boot and it didn't hurt him at all.

That is NOT to say that these are safe to play with!

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I can't believe it... a chick with her own hand grenade recipe.

Where were you when I went a courtin?

Your husband is a lucky man!

;)

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Aw psshaw... I bet you say that to all the girls who could dye and embroider you a safflower-pink frockcoat with matching breeches and contrasting waistcoat with sleeves. ;)

Besides, I have to have my own hand grenade recipe. God knows I can't cook! ;)

After a refresher course in grenado-making last night, I have to post a revised recipe:

- go to local second-hand sporting good store and get a bunch of used tennis balls (cheap!)

- drive a bunch of long nails through a 2x6 so that the nails stick up like spikes

- impale the aforementioned tennis balls on the nails

- spray with blow torch to vulcanize and burn off the fuzz

- spray with black charcoal grill paint for effect

- pull balls off board

- squeeze ball, forcing nail puncture to open slightly

- stick funnel into nail puncture

- pour in 200 grains of 3F

- while still squeezing ball, put fuse into nail puncture

- release ball; puncture hole will close firmly around fuse

- light and throw

The benefit of this recipe is that the fuses are held in by the nail puncture and therefore no glueing has to take place. It also makes the grenadoes fairly water-tight so you can drop them in a moat and still have them go off. It also makes them safe when spent as the grenado splits along the tennis ball seams and then lies flat. There are no balls or film canisters on the field to trip on. It's just a flat piece of rubber when you're done. Of course they're not reusable at all. But you can get used tennis balls for something like $2 for a bushel bag so there's not a great expense.

Have fun, guys!

Methinks it be time to butt out, but....here around the Golden Gate Bridge, you will get some long 'vacation time' packin' anythin' 'non-conventional' containing blackpowder...RR fun is constricted primarily to the open water, but Homeland Security is still a bit 'uneasy'...Dunno how they'll take to a rash 'o 'grenadoe' recreating....Just don' go gettin' us who depend on it (blackpowder) a passle of new laws regarding it's use and storage.

It's funny,

as I was typing out my original post I kind of assumed that due to the much stricter laws involving firearms and explosives in the UK that you yanks would have an easier time of it than we do. I guess we have stricter laws but less fear of terrorism.

Having said that, when I read about nails my immediate thought was "oh dear god" as I remembered the spate of nail bombings over here a few years ago...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

You don't leave the nails IN the grenadoes, you understand, Foxe. They're just to make the hole for the powder and fuse.

Royaliste, if you are firing cannon and muskets at a reenactment, I doubt Homeland Security would swoop down on you for using grenadoes.

But obviously use your best judgement. And just to be certain, get permission of the event organizers before you use ANY weapon.

You don't leave the nails IN the grenadoes, you understand, Foxe. They're just to make the hole for the powder and fuse.

Royaliste, if you are firing cannon and muskets at a reenactment, I doubt Homeland Security would swoop down on you for using grenadoes.

But obviously use your best judgement. And just to be certain, get permission of the event organizers before you use ANY weapon.

I meant enroute, silly!...Obviously, at events, most anything goes, but on the citizen's highway, they take a dimmer view of transportation of Hazardess materials, especially when 'loaded' and 'fused'..........

Ah! En route! I hadn't thought of that...

I suppose you could wait until you're at the site to fill them with blackpowder and fuse them. And pack the blackpowder in the trunk and the innocent burned tennis balls in the back seat.

But please, don't do anything that would get you in trouble just because we've never had any trouble with them here! Stay safe, all!

You don't leave the nails IN the grenadoes, you understand, Foxe. They're just to make the hole for the powder and fuse

I got that once I read the whole thing! It was just my initial shock at the word "nail"

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Aye Foxe,

I'm gettin' in late on this post here, but being an ECW reenactor, I'll put in my tuppence....

Black John's suggestion was what we use... tennis balls painted/burned black with film cannisters in them. Usually we put no more than 30 grains of 1F in 'em.... makes a nice puff, no real bang tho... Then ye can reuse 'em right quick....

If we used 'em doin' a fun battle, it would kill up to 6 people in an 8 fot radious of the blast.

We also used raquet balls in our mortars...

Also fer a town siege, we gave the women-folk buckets n' pots of rice or bird seed to throw on the invaders, as if it were scalding hot water or oil...

Much fun it were....

Ah, th' goode ol days....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 5 years later...

Loyalist Arms is proud to announce that we will soon be stocking replica cannon balls, grape shot, and grenades.

The cannon balls are available in the following sizes:

3 pounder - (2.875 diameter) @ $13.50USD ea., 6 pounder-(4.1") @$15.75 USD ea., and 9 pounder-(6.5") @$21.75 USD ea..

Also, 17th- 19th Century replica grenades in approx. 2 3/4 diameter. See pic attached of grenade only.@ $13.50 USD ea

These grenades have a real fuse, that can be replaced after being lit.

We will also be carrying grape shot in the following sizes:

1.275 inch @ $11.25/six, 1.55" @$12.50/six , and 1.725" @ $13.50/six .

All grape shot will be sold per 1/2 dozen, (6).

All the cannon balls are made from solid epoxy material. They are hard, but only weigh about 1/5 or less the weight of the original.

They still have good heft, don't drop one on your foot, but not nearly as heavy as a real iron ball.

The grenades are filled with sand and are inert, but will have the heft of an original.

These items are brand new for Loyalist Arms.

We will have some items on hand right away, while others will be a couple weeks in the delivery process.

Order yours now to avoid missing out on the first batch.

Your servant,

Blair Higgins

LAR LTD

10 Brunt Rd.,

Harrietsfield, NS

Canada B3V 1B1

Tel: 902-479-0967

Fax: 902-479-0032

www. loyalistarms. freeservers. com

Edited by Bright