So, Let's Talk Wooden Ships...

the Royaliste

:huh: Ahoy, there mates. I figure a spot is needed to talk about wooden ships, a key ingredient for a pirates life. Facts, myths, experienced or not. But skip the fiberglass,ferrocement,composite, or metal imitations. Quite a few other threads will weave thru this, properly done. Buildin', sailin', terminology, and jargon all will work here. Comments??? :blink:

:blink: I've been on Wooden Boat Magazine's forum for years. Current and past stuff in the archives: http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi That's a great spot,starting or finishing. Also,: http://www.shipsofwood.com/ This site is integral to most newer, large wooden ships being built, as they are the major supplier of large timbers, and Spunflex, the current favorit of replica ships for cordage. :)

I was fortunate enough to see the Pride of Baltimore being built and launched. Then I got a much much closer look as they built Pride 2. Actually got to walk up and lay my hands on the great gal as the men worked on her. I've been on and around boats of all sizes my entire life. I can say for certain, that for me, there is nothing like a wooden boat. They are a great deal more work to maintain , but, in the end, they are the prettiest. I hope to find an old 40's or 50's chris craft and restore her. I'm refering to the open speed boats. They made them in both I.O drive as well as outboard. If you are not sure what type I mean, it is similar to the type used in the film.... On Golden pond..... I found several of these boats for sale.. but with a very hefty price tag. Even the ones that needed major restoration. But , I'll find it one day...... The Capt.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Truth be known, Flint, the maintainance on both my wooden vessels is far easier than the work on me flubbeerglass one. Sure, there be a 'lot 'o work on a wooden vessel, but brushes and rollers for varnish and paint are more honest than rubbin out and buffin'. Good for the soul, too.A million songs go thu ye'r 'ead when you're workin' on a wooden ship.... :ph34r:

:ph34r: No, she's upstream at present, although not relevant, as she is a steel, twin keeled, built for amusement, charter vessel. Doesn't even fly her mizzen. Comes your way for the tourists come rainy season here, her purpose, afterall, ferrying tourists. :ph34r: ...a great crew, tho, don't misread me, fine neighbors. Whe are both Tops'l ketches..two of only three.....

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested in the rigging of tall ships, I would suggest two books...the Sailmaker's Apprentice and the Rigger's Apprentice. They tell more than you'd probably ever need to know about the superstructure of these fine wooden ships.

On a different note, since it seems that many of you out there have more shipbuilding experience than me, how much would you say it would cost to rig a 30'-40' gaff-rigged schooner, especially if I do the work myself?

Coastie04 :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

A friend of mine told me he saw a site that had plans for 6-8 man two masted schooners and galleons. Anybody seen this before. He's trying to find me the link and so far google has been no help for me. If I find it. I'll post it.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

For those interested in the rigging of tall ships, I would suggest two books...the Sailmaker's Apprentice and the Rigger's Apprentice. They tell more than you'd probably ever need to know about the superstructure of these fine wooden ships........would they be comprehensible to an amateur?

:) Depends on what type of knowledge you are seeking. Hardcore period rigging, 'A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor",....enough useful knowledge- the U.S. Navy Bluejackets manual, on ebay cheap...for a visual, the San Francisco Master Mariners/Wooden Boat Magazine- Drakes Bay Cruise,Oct. 4-5. All wooden boats surrounding my tallship in Drakes Bay.visible from Point Reyes... :ph34r:

I am interested in comparisons between various types of wooden ships, and a good glossary of the various pieces and parts that comprise them (preferably with lots of pics/diagrams). Anyone have any good links/titles?

Thanks.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

I would suggest www.schoonerman.com for links to various ships. They don't really describe differences much, but have such a large collection of tall ships (steel included) that by looking at the pictures many differences can become quite obvious.

Coastie04 :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg