Daggers.

Philadelphia's me old home-port; from what part of the city do ye hail, shipmate?

:ph34r:

Capt. William

That be a difficult question darlin' :ph34r:

I was born in Olney, grew up in Kensington and the North East Philly

during college I lived in Elkins Park, and South West Philly (University City ) and now I reside in Grey's Ferry.

Which bit o' philly did you call home ?

-Billie-

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Seahawke,

Goin' back and reading yer original post, I see that you were really inquiring about pistols with folding blades, and not about multi-barrel pistols. Hmm..., must hit me old Stone's Glossary and see what he's got to say about same.

:)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Billie Bonnie,

I see that you've been all around the Philaseas! Me, I was Roxborough for all the many years I lived there, residence-wise. But I also attended school in center city (Roman), North Philly (Temple), and West Philly (Drexel).

:ph34r:

Capt. William

• 4 weeks later...

Lady Seahawke,

Picking up with the promise I made about a month ago...I found something in ANTIQUE WEAPONS, FOR PLEASURE AND INVESTMENT, by Richard Akehurst.

On Page 37, speaking of the blunderbuss, he says, of a type of same "specifically made for coach guards for protection from highwaymen", that "They were often fitted with a triangular bayonet that sprang over and locked, on pulling back the thumb lever behind the breech (color plate 5)", and sure enow, he shows a picture of same.

But to answere YER question specifically: on Page 38 he says, "A number of brass barreled blunderbuss pistols were made as self-protection and coaching weapons and some of these were also fitted with small spring bayonets." (No illustration shown, more's the pity!)

So, there ye have it!

<_<:huh::huh:

Capt. William

Capt'n William....Thank you kindly for yer post, bought a replica of a cutlass, flintlock combination...kinda cool actually...can use the cutlass part as a sighting aid...and can see where the gun and blade combo would be right nasty to be face'n...

Again many thanks for yer update sir, mighty kind of yer...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• 2 weeks later...
Lady Seahawke,

Picking up with the promise I made about a month ago...I found something in ANTIQUE WEAPONS, FOR PLEASURE AND INVESTMENT, by Richard Akehurst.

On Page 37, speaking of the blunderbuss, he says, of a type of same "specifically made for coach guards for protection from highwaymen", that "They were often fitted with a triangular bayonet that sprang over and locked, on pulling back the thumb lever behind the breech (color plate 5)", and sure enow, he shows a picture of same.

But to answere YER question specifically: on Page 38 he says, "A number of brass barreled blunderbuss pistols were made as self-protection and coaching weapons and some of these were also fitted with small spring bayonets." (No illustration shown, more's the pity!)

So, there ye have it!

:D   :rolleyes:   :D

Capt. William

I'd thought Lady Seahawke was talking about the hunting swords with the pistol built into the grip.

As far as the blunderbusses/pistols with the spring bayonets, it's rather my impression that they showed up in the second half of the eighteenth century, which would make them too late for the Golden Age.

Here's a nice one c.1800:

Dobson_Pistol.jpg

Ken Drake's Antique Arms

And a cute little blunderbuss pistol, from the early nineteenth century :

7436A-2253.jpg

Bonhams & Butterfields

• 6 years later...

Pirates carried what ever they could lay hands on, military, or civilian. I'm sure ethnic background and regionality also came into play here, coloring what they may have carried.

Cheers!

Redhand

:rolleyes:

This is my opinion too. This is why my pirate captain Sol and my mercenary, Chago, besides the prized Toledo sword which is less used, have, for daily fights and work, not a cutlass but a machete. They also have navajas and are skilled in Sevillan baratero fighting style too. The mercenary has a vizcaina too...

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-