New Whydah Coin/Medallion re-creation!

corsair2k3

what I really want is a copy of the archaeologists' report. I need more info on buckles (knee breeches and/or shoes), and holsters, and buttons, and...

Blackjohn

Yes, there's a cartridge box there that I want a copy of the report on too. Emailed the curator and got a nice reply, said he'd get me a copy. Never saw it though.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

He's a very busy man, and does the best he can given the circumstances.

Funny you should mention that cartridge box, because that is the one item from the report that I do have a copy of... some of my crew have made their own repros.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hmm, an interesting fundraiser, we've discussed similar ventures, but.....if'n it be 'pirate coinage' ye seek, well- worn or later year Potosi mint reales in denominations of 1/2, 1,2, and 4 reales can be had for as little as 5 yankee frogkins on E-Bay in the coins section.

...on a downscale note, I hate to see yet another fake reale start appearing on the auction circuit. RR plan is to strike cob coinage with 'RR' logo, not a treplica re-issue.

Hmm, an interesting fundraiser, we've discussed similar ventures, but.....if'n it be 'pirate coinage' ye seek, well- worn or later year Potosi mint reales in denominations of 1/2, 1,2, and 4 reales can be had for as little as 5 yankee frogkins on E-Bay in the coins section.

...on a downscale note, I hate to see yet another fake reale start appearing on the auction circuit. RR plan is to strike cob coinage with 'RR' logo, not a treplica re-issue.

Greetings,

Good point:

We used to sell plated replica coins, but gave that up precisely because of the problems you mention.

We therefore took a number of precautions to prevent this recreation from being mistaken as either original or a replica.

The Corsair.

Funny you should mention that cartridge box, because that is the one item from the report that I do have a copy of... some of my crew have made their own repros.

Blackjohn

Anyway we can arrange to get me a copy of that, fax, scan, snailmail, or whatever? I'd be very much obliged.

Where is Columbia? I'm going to be in Maryland this weekend at the Grand Muster of the 17th Century down in St. Mary's City. You might want to see some of this- it's great living history.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Nice stuff Corsair. Thanks.

Have you ever considered having someone make repros of the more useful objects? Things that could be sold to the re-enacting community, such as holsters, that set of weights, buckles, and other assorted trinkets? I'd love to give you my money, but I don't really have much need for pirate ball caps or t-shirts.

If so, let me know via email. I may know someone with connections to sources of inexpensive labor in far-away lands.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Just received the coin from the Whydah folks - it is superb. Weighs in a 1.4 oz. a heavy bugger suited for a necklace. The art is fantastic. Remember, this is a Royal Strike, meant to show the royalty the craftsmanship of the mint. It is an exact replica of the one found aboard the Whydah, circa 1653.

Also, it looks new because coins in 1653 were new looking, just like a 2004 quarter now (though the modern equivalents pale in comparison in terms of craftsmanship). The ones we foist off as pirates are what coins look like 400 years later. not necessarily when they were new. And again, this is a Royal Strike, not a general circulation coin. Here's the front and back, show lifesize.

coins.jpg

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Greetings,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things--it is important to note that this medallion is not a replica made from a mold, it's a recreation made through digital artwork.

We've been victimized in the past by people who've altered our replicas so they can be passed off as real. Although the artwork is (mostly) faithful to the original, there are a number of features incorporated into the medallion to reduce the chance someone might be tempted to pass it off as real.

Among others: the original is not quite as regular as the medallion. We'll be posting photos and drawings of the original at the site at some point. (a cartouch box, a grenade and some other stuff is ahead in the line).

Anyway, we're glad you like the medallion! We got them in the store very late in the season, but they have proven to be popular. The first run might sell out before our season recommences.

A quick marketing question: should we sell it with a chain for a necklace? I prefer it as a key chain myself

The Corsair

Who needs more coffee this morning

Thanks for the notes. I forgot to mention that it was a digital recreation. But that doesn't diminish it's appearance. Very striking...

I would have loved to have had a chain with it. Luckily, me mate makes jewelry so I'm covered. But others would probably like it with a chain as an option.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com