Cannon found from likely Blackbeard wreck

CaptSharky

Friday, October 8, 2004 Posted: 9:33 AM EDT (1333 GMT)

:lol:

BEAUFORT, North Carolina (AP) -- Underwater archaeologists have found another cannon from the wreckage of what they believe was the flagship of the notorious pirate Blackbeard.

Historical records indicate Blackbeard had 40 guns on the French frigate he captured in 1717 and renamed Queen Anne's Revenge. Since 1996, when the wreckage of the ship was discovered in Beaufort Inlet, divers have found 22 at the site.

"We're pretty positive that we have cannon number 23," said project archaeologist Chris Southerly.

It is a large cannon that probably shot a 6-pound or 8-pound ball, Southerly said. Divers uncovered the cannon while excavating an area of the shipwreck's northwest side where they had not previously dug.

Divers also found a concretion with chain and part of the mast rigging, and a 9- to 10-inch-diameter cast iron kettle. A concretion is a mineral buildup usually found in rock.

The dig, which began Monday, was a second priority for the divers, whose main goal was to survey the shipwreck site for storm damage. They found several scoured areas, likely the result of recent hurricanes, Southerly said.

CNN.com - 1 hour, 12 minutes ago

BEAUFORT, North Carolina (AP) -- Underwater archaeologists have found another cannon from the wreckage of what they believe was the flagship of the notorious pirate Blackbeard.

WCCO: Captain Blackbeard's Cannon Found?

WCCO 4 - 1 hour, 17 minutes ago

Captain Blackbeard's Cannon Found? BEAUFORT, N.C. (AP) Underwater archaeologists have found another cannon from the wreckage of what they believe was the flagship of the notorious pirate Blackbeard.

Possible Blackbeard Ship Cannon Found

The Daily Comet - Oct 08 2:19 AM

Underwater archaeologists have found another cannon from the wreckage of what they believe was the flagship of the notorious pirate Blackbeard. Historical records indicate Blackbeard had 40 guns on the French frigate he captured in 1717 and renamed Queen Anne's Revenge.

Archaeologists excited about another Blackbeard cannon

Jacksonville Daily News - Oct 07 10:10 PM

BEAUFORT - Historical records indicate that when the pirate Blackbeard took a French frigate in 1717 and renamed it Queen Anne's Revenge, he increased the ship's firepower from 14 to 40 guns

True it is. this is what David Moore who is an archeologist with the QAR project sent me a couple of days ago:

Well, TECHNICALLY we're back to work. First time to excavate on the

site since Oct 2004. Unfortunately, its only for this week. And only

reason they made decision to work at all is that the guy who found the

site back in '96 is raising holy hell with some of the folks in Raleigh

which essentially forced them into doing "something" on the site. We

did find the 23rd cannon on the site yesterday however, and a number

of ship's rigging elements and small iron cooking pot this afternoon

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I've heard about the different artifacts found on the site. I didn't know that they found the ships bell. Did the bell prove the identity of the ship. Have they found anything to prove that it is in fact Queen Annes Revenge..... Also, is there a site that has a running update on the site.

Very interesting reading! I am a very big fan of the notorious Blackbeard. I have some facts about him that I am wondering if are correct.

He was born Edward Drummond, grew to be a very tall and very handsome man. He always had his choice of the ladies from what I understand, because of his rakeish good looks! I also believe that he had never killed anyone, until his final battle, when, for the first time ever, he took a life. Afterwards he was beheaded, his hdad hung from the bow of a nemesis ship (?).

It is believed that to this day, Blackbeard's headless ghost roams the shore searching for his head.

Does anyone have anymore information about this man? Privateer? Pirate?

The sound of the Mermaid's song shall calm the raging sea.

breakthrouth.jpg

Very interesting reading! I am a very big fan of the notorious Blackbeard. I have some facts about him that I am wondering if are correct.

He was born Edward Drummond, grew to be a very tall and very handsome man. He always had his choice of the ladies from what I understand, because of his rakeish good looks! I also believe that he had never killed anyone, until his final battle, when, for the first time ever, he took a life. Afterwards he was beheaded, his hdad hung from the bow of a nemesis ship (?).

It is believed that to this day, Blackbeard's headless ghost roams the shore searching for his head.

Does anyone have anymore information about this man? Privateer? Pirate?

Hey there lass. Not sure on the name issue but I heard tale that the head was dried out and drank out of for years. No one knows what heppened to the actual head in recent times though.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.