Sparrow Tattoo!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing like a "correct direction" for a tattoo.

The direction is any way the owner likes to wear it. If it's upside down, mirror- reverse and oblique and you wanted it that way, it's just fine as any. It isn't "incorrect" just because it faces one way or the other.

Nice work there, Ace!

Beg to differ my dear...although I agree, the wearer has the final say over his/her placement...traditionally, heads face forward, or inward whenever possible, on the simplest of designs.

But what do I know...I just do it for a living. :)

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

it's just a major phobia concerning needles and pain that keeps me from getting a tat.

lmao....one word....

EMLA

snicker

quit laughing pynch!

No one's laughing here...I'm getting my shoulder/trap/back finished and I WISH I had a bit of EMLA at the moment!

Yep...I'm a big wuss! :)

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

I also have plans for another that will signify the time when I was 6 and fell in love with all things piratical. It of course was the POTC ride in Disneyland.

I'm with you on that one Ace. :)

And it really is a well done (and obviously well thought out) tattoo. I'm sure you'll wear it proudly. :lol:

hey pynch...was toying with the idea of flying up to va with my son during xmas break (he has to visit his dad)...

anywho...put me on the books to get "the sparrow tattoo"....who better to get a pirate tattoo from, than from another pirate!... :lol:

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

...traditionally, heads face forward, or inward whenever possible, on the simplest of designs.

With all due respect, this "correct" orientation thing is nothing but a ridiculous piece of superstition with no practical value whatsoever and should be dismissed as such.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

...traditionally, heads face forward, or inward whenever possible, on the simplest of designs.

With all due respect, this "correct" orientation thing is nothing but a ridiculous piece of superstition with no practical value whatsoever and should be dismissed as such.

With all due respect, "correctness" has nothing to do with superstition. It has to do with respecting the tradition in which I was taught by the men and women who put in the time and skill to pass on the art of tattooing. All things are subject to change, but it is my preference to respect my mentor's skill as a traditional artist and as such, I prefer to pass on those teachings rather than dismiss them out of hand.

And I find your evaluation of the "ridiculous" traditions of my trade offensive.

If you would like to continue this discussion privately, please feel free to PM me.

hey pynch...was toying with the idea of flying up to va with my son during xmas break (he has to visit his dad)...

anywho...put me on the books to get "the sparrow tattoo"....who better to get a pirate tattoo from, than from another pirate!... :(

You got it Pais! Just give me a heads up about a week in advance and I'll write you in.

Don't forget the EMLA. :)

Capn_Enigma Posted on Jul 12 2005, 01:26 AM

i'd have to agree with pynch on this one...superstition or not....if you get it done facing away from you, it looks outta place. why i even found that information on a temp tattoo website (how to apply them). "it's like wiping before ya poop...it just don't make no sense!" (git er done)

and if i saw someone with a tattoo facing the "wrong way" i would think that either they didn't know what they were doing or their tattoo artist didn't know either.

sorry...just my 0.02 cents...i'm not a tattoo artist myself, just a canvass that holds 7 tattoos (one of them covering 1/2 of my back) along with several piercings. so i'm not just some redneck joe who likes tattoos, i'm into the art of body modification.

besides...

had i gotten my faerie facing away from me, it would look just plain @$$ stupid.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

• 1 month later...

Well...here goes this thread again. :lol:

But I gots new ink.

It's me own design (sorta). I did it as a 3D model so I could render it from any angle and light it various ways. Then took it into Photoshop and added the black and treated the color to be more suitable for a tattoo.

It's based on the skull that's on the POTC 30th anniversary dedication plaque for the ride. It's a large bronze plaque/fountain that is in front of the building.

Came out pretty good for a 3 hour straight inking. :D

Pirate_with_Crossed_Swords.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Ace! Many props to your artist...that's wonderful work. You should both be proud.

:huh:

Pictures Capn' Gage...we need pictures...