Sparrow Tattoo!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirenSong

I heard his sons name Jack was on that tattoo and that he had the tattoo way before the movie came out. That each of his thirteen tattoos is based on something important.

I heard his sons name Jack was on that tattoo and that he had the tattoo way before the movie came out.

No, he didn't have the tattoo before the movie was made. The tattoo shown in the movie was a makeup effect (as was the "P" branding).

It's also in a totally different location on his arm

Johnny Depp had his tattoo made on the exact location that it was shown in the movie, his upper right forearm. See this pic:

jdepp.jpg

I had my own tattoo made in the same style, but with a cartoon vulture (and yes, it IS a real tattoo, not that temporary stuff!):

otattoo.jpg

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Will, ifn' any of ye are in the waters of the Chesapeake, near the mouth of the Patuxent River...come an' see me...

Tattooin' be m'trade, and I'd love to do this on a willin' victi...err...client.

(I'm gettin' kind of sick of inking' Tweety Birds smokin' blunts!)

Capn' Enigma...your version is hysterical!

:D

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

I'm just being picky when I say it's the wrong location. To me it would be important for continuity. The tattoo in the movie from everything I can tell is anywhere from an inch to 2 inches lower on the arm than the Jack tattoo. And it is facing the other direction B)

Tis not a bad thing to be picky and you are right by the way ye can also add that his real tatoo is on the outside of his forearm and the movie is on the in

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I read that Mr. Depp had the direction of the sparrow changed so that it was flying towards him rather than away - not sure tho'.

You're absolutely right, Charity. While the movie sparrow was flying from the right to the left, Johnny Depp's real tattoo sparrow flies from left to right and the wave crests point the other way. Also, it has the caption "Jack" below it, not referring to his role name (although the pun may be intended), but to the name of his son, Jack.

ye can also add that his real tatoo is on the outside of his forearm and the movie is on the in

It is on the outside of the forearm in both cases.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

OK mates here be the dirt on Lovely Johnny D's tattoos...

"...In the movie PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, Depp played Captain Jack Sparrow. Costuming and smears of fake dirt were used to cover up Depp’s tattoos during filming. His character had a tattoo, which was a fake for the movie, worn by Depp. He sported a sparrow tattoo on his forearm, along with a mark branded for pirating. After filming, he had his sparrow tattoo made permanent in honor of his young son Jack. He modified it slightly, flipping the sparrow around so that it is flying towards him instead of away from his body as it was in the movie."

You can read the full text of this article which discusses all of his tattoos HERE

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

snip: "He modified it slightly, flipping the sparrow around so that it is flying towards him instead of away from his body as it was in the movie."

Which means our Lovely Johnny knows about the proper application of a tattoo, proving that he's not only wondrous to look upon, but he's savvy as well.

When you get your tattoo Charity, make sure the head is facing toward your body, not away from it. It's just an old rule of tattooing...heads face "forward". Tis one of the marks of a well placed work of ink.

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

I didn't know that.

It makes sense - but why is it an old rule?

To be honest with ye Charity, I don't exactly know "why". But it was one the first things I was taught as an apprentice was...heads face forward, as in toward the front of your body. Anything facing behind you was considered "amateurish or improperly rendered".

Makes sense, if you see your personal ink as an extension of yourself. If the head faces toward your body, it's drawing attention to the person wearing it, rather than pulling the eye away. In some cases, the meaning of the tattoo draws toward the wearer, possibly infusing the wearer with the tattoo's symbolism or charm.

make sense?

In any case, I'll be sure to ask Capn' Pike "Why" tomorrow...he'll probably take a swipe at me and growl, but it'll be worth it.

:)

While I never considered the sparrow for a tattoo I was thinking about getting the skull and cross bones from POTC on my forearm.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Are you going to do it?

I think it would be wicked!

Getting the POTC skull, definately. When? Hmmmm, not sure on that. I have to wait and see when the fundage becomes available.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Thanks Claire for clearing that up,,, was getting lost in all the posts what was what...always nice to know a bit of trivia...and Pynch thanks for that wonderful info on tat's about placement...wow that makes total sense...kinda like good aura...something facing towards you and all....

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg