Question on Battle-Worthy Cutlasses

Saber and I both chose battle-worthy cutlasses for our birthdays. He chose the Cold Steel 1917 model, I chose the Windlass Steelcraft cutlass.

The Cold Steel edge is extremely sharp steel. My Windlass is ground down blunt. Although both are rated battle-worthy, looking at the two, I think his Cold Steel blade is going to make mincemeat of my Windlass!

I'm wondering if before we engage in any fight choreography if we should have the edge taken down on the Cold Steel blade so that it won't inflict excessive damage on the opposing blade.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I agree, a weapon intended for stage combat should be blunted. As far as wear goes, I don't think it matters much. The sharp edge will cut deeper into the blunt, but will also wear quicker because of the thinness of the edge. Expect both swords to get badly dinged.

Ideally in combat you're supposed to turn the blade to take a parry on the side, but I've never met anyone who could do this consistently.

:rolleyes:

Museum Replicas Limited (owned by Windlass) sells its swords unsharpened for legal reasons (lots of dummies out there who will sue if they cut themselves on that sharp thing they bought). "Battle-ready " means the sword is made of quality steel with a wide tang and furniture adequate for the stresses of combat. MRL will sharpen its swords on request, but sharpening voids the return policy, which is one of MRL's strongest points. Probably the best idea is, if you're otherwise satisfied with the sword, send it back for sharpening and eat the mailing costs, give it to someone who knows how to sharpen a sword properly, or do it yourself if you know how. By the way, edge-to-edge contact will damage blunt swords, too, just not as badly as if they were sharpened. Usually, blocking a sword cut with the flat of your blade means bending your wrist, a big no-no in combat. Beating it aside is safer and less damaging all around.

Just outta curiosity, whatcha doin' wit a modern cutlass?

The 1917 was selected by th' US Navy and was standard issue until after World War II. That's right--The Navy was standin' by to repel boarders wit' cutlasses right into th Atomic Age! Doncha just love tradition?!

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

I recall reading somewhere that the last time a cutlass was used in action by a member of the USN was during the Korean War when a group of Seabees were over-run...

Moving back to the topic at hand... definately take that edge off!!!

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Oh yeah, back to the topic at hand. Safety first, last and always.

Losin a few fingers and/or body parts may be authentic, but it plays havoc with yer typin in these forums. :D

Get er dulled before you start countin' in base 8 :D

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!