A real Early 18th Century Ship Exists!

Gentleman of Fortune

Apparently, the RUSSIANS of all people started building a replica of Peter the Great's Flagship…. Too cool for words!

In 1698 Peter the Great sailed from St Petersburg, Russia to Deptford, England with his Great Embassy to learn how to organize their navy and build warships. In 1703 he built the 30 metre frigate Shtandart. A charitable trust has been set up to construct a replica of Shtandart in St Petersburg which will be sailed to Deptford on the 300th anniversary of the Great Embassy in July 1999. The construction is providing employment for Russian carpenters and an opportunity to learn boat building skills and the frigate will be used for sail training, cultural exchange activity and promotion of Anglo-Russian relations. Construction is entirely reliant on voluntary donations."

Here is some links to the construction process http://www.cruising.org.uk/shtand_1.htm

And here is the current site for the ship http://www.shtandart.com/mission.htm#

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Many's the night I dreamt of cheese, toasted, this here frigate to carry me from Treasure Island.

:)

That's a fine ship, and very good for the period we are interested in. And you can find her, and many others appropriate and not so appropriate

here.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Tis an absolutely stunning ship! Ne'er has an unbreathing vessel made me heart go pitter patter as this one.

Rotten, evil, no-good plotting, spoon-fed, going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket lass!

Always trying to bury that little devil on my shoulder and go to the angelic side -

even if just for a moment - choking down whatever evil scheme I was plotting!!!!

PirateFlag_sig.gif

A Fine Crew Indeed

My Webpage-----Pyrate Invasion at PARF-2004-----MDRF 2004 Opening Day

That be a fine lookin' ship. I'm always amazed at how beautiful some of these ships look. Especially in full sail.

Blackjohn, that's a great list you pointed out. Lots more beautiful ships there.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Who else but the Russians would build the flagship of Peater the Great? It's a beautiful ship. Having seen some good photos of Russian mideval reenactment groups it's not supprise to me that such a fine ship has been built by them. Russia has a fine tradition of craftmanship. Beautiful ship.

I'm a big fan of this French ship. My eye has been on this one for awhile. Not built yet, but it looks like they are actually working on it.

Interestin' site, mate..But methinks they need to build a quality site with decent photo's and graphics 'afore they start with the timber!...Jeesh!..Half the pirates I know 'ave better-done websites....A shame, really...But I'll keep a weather eye peeled, seein' as how I sail a French laid keel me own damn self............

Old ships are cool, and that people still make them is even cooler.

The ship was built with donations only!!!!!

Damn, i wish someone would donate some money so I could build one :)

whitesail.jpg

I would just sell me house and live on the ship!

:lol:

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

I'm a big fan of this French ship. . .

Interestin' site, mate..But methinks they need to build a quility site with decent photo's and graphics 'afore they start with the timber!...Jeesh!..Half the pirates I know 'ave better-done websites....A shame, really...But I'll keep a weather eye peeled, seein' as how I sail a French laid keel me own damn self............

:rolleyes: Being that half the pirates you know be anchored in and around the likes of Silicon Valley, that's no big surprise. . . .

Wait, isn't this thread suppose to be about ships?

Thread drift... it happens all the time as you well know.

:rolleyes:

As for that French ship, well, hopefully they are spending all their money on building the ship and have allotted no money to their website. Of course, I'm amazed that these things still do get built. The Sultana, for instance... I can remember when she was just an idea on a t-shirt!

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Proper product displays tremendously affect donations, me friend!..Post shitty photo's, well.......many of the ventures never see water, also.......Then again, people like those in L.A. build the 'Johnson' twin brigs, well built WITH decent photo's....After all, we all know websites are cheaper that a hot date.........

Very nice indeed. Maybe oneday she be made for our shores.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg