• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...uuuhhhhh...

...eeerrrrrr...

harry potter and the order of the phoenix

aaaarrrrgggggg!!!!

well he has the heart of a good noble type pirate.

hehe

I also picked up a couple of the elite books by Angus Konstam;

pirates

&

Buccaneers

they are great little books that,at first glance look like kids books,but are really just condensed history books on various 'elite' fighting groups.

it is packed full of great black and white historical pictures as well as some really good illustrations by Angus McBride in a color center section.

there is a good many different elite books covering great expanses of time and place-really good for getting a lot of info in a little space/reading time.

havn't located the 'elizabethan sea dogges' yet-but I'm on the prowl :ph34r:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Aye Lass,

Well, so far this summer;

"Cochrane: Britannia's Sea Wolf" by Donald Thomas isbn 0-304-35282-9

"The Guardship" & The Blackbirdier" from th' "Brethren of the Coast" series by James L Nelson

"By Force of Arms" Th' Revolution at Sea series, also by James L Nelson

At present I be startin' ta read;

"Precursors of Nelson, British Admrials of the 18th Century"

isbn 1-86176-062-0

"The Speedwell Voyage"

isbn 0-425-17438-7

"Folklore and the Sea"

isbn 0-7858-1119-2

And I been slowly pickin' thru "Life before the Mast" isbn 0-7858-1517-1

:ph34r::huh::huh::huh::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Mind you some o' these were read whilst on two different business trips, where my free tyme (or lack there of) was spent starin' at th' walls inna hotel room.... or on a plane.... :huh:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I be a reading a wonderful yarn called "Porto Bello Gold" by A.D. Howden Smith 1924. The book is a prequel to Treasure Island. The action takes place a few years earlier. 301 pgs of pure pirate pleasure! This here book speaks real pirate slang with dashes for the swearing, kind o like that, seeing as you can put in yer own word(s) ...haha or good bedtime reading for the kiddies...aarrrrgh

My lovely maiden found and purchased me a two fer, Deadman's chest and PortoBello Gold, from Barnes and Noble, came wit free shipping.

Looking forward to reading the sequel Dead Man's chest during this long hot summer on ole Cape Cod. Or "Cahd" if ye have the accent. Ah the smell o brine and the taste o rhum!

:ph34r:

I have never in me life read a romance novel. If I be reading fer pleasure it's always a good mystery book. Fer research historical things and bios.

Go ahead recommend a pirate romance. Maybe ye'll get me hooked. I read constantly. I live on the beach and at the end of the day I often set up a chair at the shore line and read something.

Welll, Grace, write yer own! Picture me ship, anchored offshore o' your house on the beach.......sunsetting in te west

Well if that's what it takes to get you're lovely ship to anchor in my port, perhaps....

don't they go something like this...Her soft supple bosome heaved against her straining bodice. As he came to her his manhood was evident in his taut clothing. When they collided..........well you get the picture.

Perhaps I should be writing romances instead of mysteries. I wouldn't have to worry about historical accuracies and plot continuom, and planting clues, and who did what where....well maybe that last part.

Hell, I write them.. better than I read 'em! Don't have anything published yet, but I did finish one, and I have gotten great reviews on it so far.. though my husband thinks it's so much sappy crap. Oh well. Mine isn't that bad... only one bodice-ripping scene, and he literally takes a dagger to her bodice lacings! It's hot! With this genre, it's usually historic romance, so the facts have to be straight.. and mine just AIN'T, and I've been bipped enough for it.. mines fantasy... purely... with lots o' pirates!!

If anybody wants to read it, email me, and I"ll send it to ya!

:ph34r:

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

Hey, I'm reading treasure island too!

I love that book. THis is my first time through, admittedly...heh...

And I'm in either my basement or my friend's. We're reading it outloud. IS a good book for that.

Also got Guns, Germs and Steel, and Hamlet. They could've had more with the pirates in Hamlet! IN fact, maybe he coulda written the whole bloody thing about the pirates and forgotten the prince of denmark altogether... :lol: