What are you reading

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also been reading some of Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd by Richard Zacks. :lol:

Non-piratey books this summer include re-reading Tolkien's Return of the King, skipping about in Tolkien: a Celebration edited by Joseph Pearce, The Wheel of Great Compassion by Lorne Ladner, Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron, various short stories by Flannery O'Connor, Christian Meditation by Hans Urs Von Balthasar and Living the Jesus Prayer by Irma Zaleski, passages of Betty Friedan's Feminine Mystique and The Second Stage, essays from Pro-Life Feminism: Different Voices edited by Gail Grenier-Sweet, excerpts from the Green Party 2000 platform, and of course my favorite magazines: No Quarter Given and The American Feminist.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Thanx a bundle.....A couple I am particularly interested in are Blackbeard, Calico Jack, and Edward Low.  Anything of good quality specifically on them? :lol:   :(

I have not read it (can't find a copy!) but I have had people recommend to me Blackbeard "Blackbeard the Pirate: A Reappraisal of His Life & Times" by Robert E. Lee (not the general)

Also recommended but not read yet (need to get a copy) "The Pirate Trial of Anne Bonney & Mary Read" by Tamara Eastman & Constance Bond. Although it focuses mostly on Bonney & Read there is some info on Rackham.

I can't think of anything other than GHP for Low but I'll ask someone here at work if they know of anything.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I be reading "Learn to Surf". Not very many pics which be hard for this pyrate B)

Black Pearl

"Queen of Wipeouts"

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

Red Maria... the book..... Blackbeard... by Robt. E. Lee. was a book I found in a discount book store. I've read it now three times. I can tell you this; there are many other books on Blackbeard that are far far better. The book gives some very good facts that have been well documented and are rather well known. He , however, also adds a good deal of supposition that he claims has to be true without any real way of backing it up. His claim for this, is.. it simply makes more sense this way, or, it just couldn't happen that way, etc. As long as you do not pay much for the book, go ahead and get it. But, do not rely on it alone for the history of Blackbeard. ......... The Capt.

• 2 weeks later...

This Summer I read:

Under A Black Flag, David Cordingly

The Three Muscketeers, Alexander Dumas

Master & Commander, By Patrick O'Brien which I recommend to anyone interested in Nautical Adventure stories.

Sharpes Tiger, Sharpes Trafalgar, Sharpes Prey, and am now reading Sharpes Rifles all by Bernard Cromwell...

Great series about the Peninsular Wars/Napoleonic era. Fasinating stuff, I can't put them down and they are a quick read, but intelligently written...You are learning without even knowing it.

I think I might take a break from the series and read Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini, saw the movie recently and want to read the novel.

Also with LoTR:Return of the King coming Dec. 17....It will be time for me to re-read The Trilogy. I have read it every year since the first movie....Call me a freak...I spend alot of Friday nights at home har har... :D

Made a trip to the city today (Denver) with a couple of friends. Visited The Tattered Cover bookstore... Went straight to the nautical section... then over to nautical history...

Tried to purchase 3 books on Piracy, and one on tall ships (beauty of a book but was $80) but my "so called friends" staged an intervention and made me put them back. They are desperately trying to get me off the Pirate "junk" so to speak. They're looking into some sort of rehab for me at the moment...

But while they were musing over cookbooks, I managed to sneak out with:

The History of Pirates by Angus Konstam

A General History of Pirates by Daniel Defoe

Just finished re-reading Treasure Island. Am now reading ... Battles of the Revolutionary war... For anyone who has not read or re-read Treasure Island; I strongly suggest you do. It's been twenty years since the last time I read it, and it was so much fun finding this book all over again. Just started the book about the revolutionary war. So far it is pretty good.

Rosalinda... I would think your friends have more issues than you. Piracy is history. Now, if they themselves get way in over their heads about other things or don't do anything at all.. THEY are the ones who need rehab.. if not return to school! It's those interested in history that get he most satisfaction in life.. let alone the best rewards.

LOL.. Cap'n Flint! I've been ponderin' whether to re-read Treasure Island. Need to get another book. Lost my others sometime back.

I did recently rent "Treasure Island" with Charlton Heston in it. I think that's the closest to the book as it can get.

I may as well buy meself a book of Treasure Island. Add it to my collection of classics like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

As to Rev War... :: whimpers:: LOVE reading those books. I'm not sure if I heard of that Rev War book.

Right now.. I am just reading up on as many Pirate historical books as possible. Refresh my memory about pirates, ships & more.

Huzzah!

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ahoy Mates! :ph34r:

I just got through reading the latest book in the Anne Rice- Vampire chronicals called- Blackwood Farm. There is just one more book due to come out in October. It will be the last book in the series.

~I'm an Anne Rice fan...can ye tell..????? :ph34r:

Anyways... Fair winds,

Deadly Drucilla

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

BatSpell:

Here's a coincidence for you: Anne Rice and I went to the same high school; Richardson High, Richardson, TX. She was class of '59 and I was class of '65, so we never met, but her next youngest sister, Tamara O'Brien, was a good friend of mine and I kept up with her for a number of years after graduation. It was only many years later that I realized that Anne Rice had to be that sister of Tamara's who had run off to San Francisco and married Stan Rice (another Richardson High grad.) I'm a pro writer now myself, and a few years ago met another of the O'brien sisters, Alice Borchardt (there were four sisters, the youngest being Karen). So far, though, never met the lady herself.

Just finishing up Long John Siver by Bjorn Larsson ,also bin readin Tom Kringles diary that bein the life an tymes of a young feller whats gone to sea in the 1800's and as it were written in the 1800's it makes for an interesting read.

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Today? I read "What's the REAL Way to a Pirate's Heart?"... a collaborative effort not yet in bookstores.

HAR! HAR! HAR!

that makes quite an entertaining read.

and by the number of hits on those two threads,it seems our fellow pie-rats agree.

:)

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Rosalinda..Is the Piract book from Alex Kongstrum from the Osprey series? If it is those are great books...quick consise and full of detail. If I may...Read Kongstrums Elizabethan Sea Dogs. It is about Drake and Sir Walter Raleigh. These guys were really the first Pirates, even though they were under orders from the Queen (elizabeth of course). These guy looted the spanish main and drove the spanish from Port Royal, and Panama...Great stuff.

I am always on the look out for those books from Osprey. I also have Agincourt ans the Battle of Crecy. Great for strategy lovers.... :P