Rapier or Cutlass

Toe Cutter

:huh: I truly prefer the sword/pistol combination. If ye sword gets hung up just fire an make ye hole bigger, Better yet the blunderbuss in one hand and cutlass in the other... unless ye have been issued a hook for ye past troubles. arrrr

Only if you have wrists like a blacksmith on steroids or an East German weightlifter. The recoil from a blunderbuss is not something you hold in one hand, especially your off hand.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Well I'm definately goin ta get me a cutlass, and after readin some other posts on the board I thinks a working pistol is in order. I saw those kits on the Dixie gunworks site.... I could do that!

:huh: never hurts ta add another blade ta me collection, and another firearm to me arsnel

:huh:

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

"pistol grip" :rolleyes:

Where be that second sword from? That a right impressive weapon.

As for the Rapier vs. Cutlass question... I prefer the cutlass for onboard and ship to ship fightin' and the rapier for the more fancier fighting where ya have more room to swing it.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Dixie Kit was simple I highly recommend it., especially if you have a dremel you can shape your handle in minutes and the sanding is quick with 180 grit wet-n-dry. I finally got around to doing a light stain today and a polyeurathane job tonight. I know its not a flintlock.,however it is a welcome addition to my pirate garb.., its to my liking and I value it as a slick piece when non firing replica's are only 20 bucks cheaper!!!

The dixie is great.., for my next trick I will be doing the Classic Arms Cutlass Pistol Kit .44 caliber.

The Cutlass on the Baldric to the left., the Cutlass Pistol in a little holster mounted to the Baldric.

The .62 caliber Sea Service Pistol with belt hangar on the right hip and the Duckfoot in the sashe leaning left for a quick grab should work out pretty well for a day out. Its a start anyway.

:lol: HarborMaster :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

No contest. A cutless. Good for hacking in tight quarters. Wouldn't be caught dead (actually, that's the only way I would be caught) with a rapier...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

;)   I truly prefer the sword/pistol combination.  If ye sword gets hung up just fire an make ye hole bigger, Better yet the blunderbuss in one hand and cutlass in the other... unless ye have been issued a hook for ye past troubles. arrrr

Only if you have wrists like a blacksmith on steroids or an East German weightlifter. The recoil from a blunderbuss is not something you hold in one hand, especially your off hand.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Aye Capt Hawkins a fine an noble point... I have had the occassion to fire a blunderbuss back in me Revolution Reenactment days...twas truly acursed wench to handle but alas it did shred a 4' x4' sheet of 1/2" plywood a true hand cannon . ;)

From a playing perspective:

In the SCA, when I fight "Heavy" (Rattan weapons and heavy armor) I fight cutlass-style, although usually with either a shield or another sword. I also fight rapier, which hurts less, is less restrictive, and IMO more fun.

From an "In-Character" perspective:

The Rapier is the weapon of Gentlemen and Nobles... As I am Lord Duncan MacNamara, and as such minor Nobility (recieved the award of arms 2 years ago), I have been trained with the Rapier. However, I preferr a Cutlass for it's advantages as a close quarters weapon.

But my favorite would be my cannons and other firearms... :lol:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

:D Here is what the DuckFoot looks like finished.,its quite a bit smaller than a Sea-Service type pistol which makes it good for carrying around.

MyGuns0003.jpg

MyGuns0005.jpg

MyGuns0001.jpg

Lastly but not to be counted out a boarding Cutlass a homemade short sword.,a spanish rapier and a spanish fencing foil. Sea-Service Pistols are always good to guard your treasure chest and tricorn .,from thievin' sea-rovers

:D HarborMaster :D

:D:D:D

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

From an "In-Character" perspective:

The Rapier is the weapon of Gentlemen and Nobles... As I am Lord Duncan MacNamara, and as such minor Nobility (recieved the award of arms 2 years ago), I have been trained with the Rapier. However, I preferr a Cutlass for it's advantages as a close quarters weapon.

But my favorite would be my cannons and other firearms... :D

Nay, Lad. Rapiers are f't' Frogs and Dons. A true Englishman'll 'ave nowt t'do wi them damned birdspits. Get thisen a good stiff tuck or mayhap a heavy hanger. Listen not ta Saviolo an' his ilk. T'man knows nowt about the true fight. Read Master Silver's good book and prepare t' fight as an Englisman should.

(Yeah, I've heard all about 'gentlemen carry rapiers'. It's not true, a swordsman carries what works best. If all you want to be is a nobleman, then carry the rapier. If you want to be known for your bladework, carry the piece that serves you best. I never bought into the Society nobility schtick. I'm fairly often catching flack ffrom the other Laurels because I don't dress like a peer. And I agree that my cannon and wheelocks are my first choice :D )

Hawkyns

:D

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'm Irish... lol

Ah... mi sympathies, mate.

Niver worry thasen, though. Beginning o' next year, the's t'be a re-enctment o' t' burning o'Wicklow . Somewhere in Virginia or so 'tis said.

Lot's o' victims on both sides, eh? :lol:

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

After som (OK(e happly bufuddled thought......

rapier ... pokie stab......

cutlass.... hack and slash.......

in tight quarters.... I think pointie stab might work better.... th' bit with "the piont"

cutlass hack and slash for untrained........ but dang..... you don't "swing a rapire... you "poke " with is...... "use the point"

that said..... I like a cutlass with a very straight blade... can hack.. and can stab... best of both worlds......(OK... the hanger Hawkins is talking about....)

Dang.... bit more thought.......

what I'm carrying now... is a cut down "fake" broadsword... welded at the tang...... looks good... but I'm not planing on hitting anyone with it... (Sorry Hawk)

what I want...... is a slightly heavy blade........very straight....can slash or hack... or more for my style.... poke,,,,,,,, thrust being the most efective

not something light.... closer to the "sword of war" (yah right.... that describess a bunch of different blades...)

Maybe I'm missdefining it..... all the "hangers" that I've seen have very curved blades............ I can't "forge" my own blade... and can not afford a smyth to make one for me......so I will "cheat"..... grind down a chunk of stainless into a blade that "feels" right..... (like I typed.... what I'm carrying now has the "shape " I like...... but it wouldn't work... or I wouldn't trust my life to it....

fun side note..... Hawkins.... is that why you carry only "real" blades..... not htat you "have" to depend on it... but if you ever "did" there it is.......

Patrick Hand .,evenin' Sir., I myself purchased a few swords I thought were right fom me., later I found one was top heavy to pack all day., another was Rat tanged and couldnt take a slamming., so....., I eventually took to making my own sword., Its differant? Its straight., short (21" Blade) strong somewhat light and fast to wield. Perhaps you should possibly build one its easy if you cheat(buy a blade( then do with it what you will., read this forum.

Main Guage / Short Sword build

take Care

:D HarborMaster :D

Hawkins.... is that why you carry only "real" blades..... not htat you "have" to depend on it... but if you ever "did" there it is.......

For the answer to this, see the new thread Why we do what we do.

Hawkyns

:D

rod_21.jpg

Whike we're on the subject of swords and such. My son took shikendo for awhile. That's japanese metal swords as opposed to kendo, the wooden kind. One of the practices was to get a tatami mat and roll it up. soak it in water overnight so it would become good and heavy. They'd place it on a pole and the test was to whack it in half in one movement. Harder to do than you think. It was supposed to reproduce the cutting off of a human limb. It made a swacking wet sound than sounded as I suppose that would sound like......well.. except for the very loud screaming in agony.

Cheers!

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

Rapier is period for the 16th and 17th centuries. By the 1700's it had been replaced by the small sword, as the gentleman's weapon. Both are deadly, in the hands of a trained wielder, against a single opponent, and with sufficient room to maneuver. (Ever consider that a thrust is much faster than a cut)? Neither are practical in a close-quarters ship boarding action, with multiple opponents, slippery rolling decks, clouds of smoke, etc.)

As for offhand weapons: fighting with "something else" in the offhand is a science unto itself; definetely more complicated than using a single weapon.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

(Ever consider that a thrust is much faster than a cut)?

Capt. William

I. too, had been taught that the thrust was faster, for many years. Never quite believed it, though, it always seemed somewhat wrong. After working with a couple of different masters this weekend, now I know why. It depends on the fight.

If you are fighting the Italian rapier fight, such as Saviolo, then this is correct. You are at full sword distance or better, and dropping the point slightly and extending, with or without the lunge, will be quicker than bringing your blade offline enough to develop sufficient force to make a significant cut.

If you are fighting the true fight, as Silver calls it, the English fight, then the cut is faster. The distance you fight at should be close enough that you can grab your opponent, with your blades touching each other about halfway along the length. From there, it is quicker to disengage in some manner, and drop the shoulder and twist the hip into a cut, rather than withdraw the blade to clear his sword, drop into line, and then thrust.

I've always preferred Silver and studied his manual, but this weekend was the first time I've been able to study with a couple of masters who could show me some detail and nuance in position that were not clear in the facsimile.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

rod_21.jpg