Rapier or Cutlass

Toe Cutter

Being new here I just got ta wonderin whats yur preferance? and why?

I personally don't own a cutlass, though in a real fight I think it would fit my style, up close with lots-o-hackin n slashin!

I do have 2 rapiers, I have always thought they made you look more important, kinda noble, that ways ya could sneak in and get the treasure easier.

A rapier in one hand and a good boarding axe in the other and off you go!!

:)

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

Methinks the added length of the rapier in tight quarters aboard ship would be a hindrance, and with one good wack you might break a rapier blade with a cutlass. So, I would prefer a cutlass in one hand, and a tankard of rum in the other. B)

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

Rapiers were never intended for sea duty or military combat. The long blades were a townie affectation. The originals were rarely less than four feet long, and were called Espadas roperas or swords of the robe. Later it was shortened and anglicised to rapier. The narrow blades (less than 3/8 inch on average was only useful for thrusting. Okay for duelling, but not real combat.

Cutlasses, hangers, cuttoes, short sabers, and the like were made for close quarters fighting, as on shipboard, or in particularly rowdy pubs. There's probably a reason the US Navy had official-issue cutlasses in its arsenal until after World War II, the last model being the M1917. The design must have worked.

Rapiers look elegant, and noble, and in the hands of one of the Musketeers, may be capable of subtle feats of duelling. But none of the afore-mentioned adjectives really fit the piraty types I've ever met. B)

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

Aye, good points ye have. Being landlocked here in Atlanta I was forgettin bout the tight quarters, I been lookin at gettin a cutlass anyway for my collection o blades.

I still say a good axe in the off hand though.

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

Cutlass in the right hand, Boarding Axe in the left.

TWO HANDS! NO WAITING!! :lol:

Now Ye'll be a Full Service Pirate!

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

I'm not for either myself but i'm just a local serving wench.... personally a good dagger and definatly an axe works just fine for persons of low morality.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Depends on the fight, the opponent, and the ground. I fight with both and they both have their place. Now, I'm not fond of a true rapier, because it's too light, and is mostly point with little edge. A cut and thrust early rapier (1580's) is a good useable blade, either for the edge or the point, as in Silver's manuals. The later rapiers and the court swords are of little use in a real fight, but were used extensively for duelling.

For a duel, or for open ground, I'll take the cut and thrust. Gives me a bit more distance, and has the weight for a decent parry and ripost cut. Also, if my opponent is good, and has a longer weapon, I want to be able to match him in distance a little better. I use the short Del Tin blade for this (32" blade). For deck fighting I have a short hanger from Armour Class that is heavier than most blades but is designed and forged for re-enctment combat.

I've used an axe as the offhand weapon, but it's not my favourite. Good for hacking and hooking your opponent, but not much use when you move into corps-a-corps fighting. A good stout dagger with hooked quillions is just as good for parrying, and lets you kill with the short, quick thrust when you move inside point range. A true boarding axe is just a bit too long and heavy for that fast inside movement.

All that said, my normal carry piece is a short shell guard hanger, single knuckle bow, with a 27 inch blade. I figure that I can use a short blade wherever I am, but I can't use a rapier in tight quarters like below decks or in a crowd. It's also a sharp, original blade, that will still fulfill it's original purpose. I won't carry a weapon that is not real. Those I keep in my weapons case for fighting demonstrations.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

If you're fighting the Golden Age of Piracy then rapier is not period, period. It had been replaced by the small sword in the late 17th century. Both rapier & small swords were gemtleman's weapons and were not used by the common sailore (or soildeer). The cutlass (call ity a hanger if you wish) was the common weapon of both sailor and pirate alike.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I prefer the hacking swings of cutlasses (or machetes, if you are into the cheaper, more functional approach)

However, I was in some store or another and they let me swing a scottish broadsword around a few times, and that felt pretty good, (for those wondering, it is a fencing sword, but it is just over an inch thick at the base)

However, I was in some store or another and they let me swing a scottish broadsword around a few times, and that felt pretty good, (for those wondering, it is a fencing sword, but it is just over an inch thick at the base)

Not really. The Highland Broadsword is a cut and thrust sword designed for warfare. It has roots in the Irish hilt of the 16th century. It works very well for the cut, and will thrust but it is not, by most people's definition, a 'fencing sword'. It is heavy and requires a lot of arm strength to wield. Fencing movements that come from the wrist and fingers will not work with a sword that can weigh upwards of 3 pounds.

Watch the movie 'Rob Roy' for the best fight ever filmed between a highland broadsword against a court rapier.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

listen to Hawkins lads he knows what he speaks of.

I prefer the cut and thrust Rapier. It offers excellnet point countrol and well as being able to inflict cuts. Arms and Armour has two great c&t's The French and Venetian have wider baldes (about1.09 and 1.14 respectivelty.) both are quite light just around two pounds and look great on either a Gentleman or Pirate Captain....

I have a C&T Rapier with a caged hilt, and use a main Gauche with knuckle guard for my left hand.

Just a point to make here, most Pirate Actions did not take place on board on ships. Pirates raided alot of towns all of which were on land, so either a rapier or Cutlass would work.

Some one also mentioned that it depends on what age of Piracy you are going for. FRom the late 1600's thru the 1700's, the rapier had disappeared and the small sword was carried on land.

Mt era of study is more Elizabethan to mid 1600's..so I'll stick with my Rapier thank you very much.

DeCouer

Just a point to make here, most Pirate Actions did not take place on board on ships.  Pirates raided alot of towns all of which were on land, so either a rapier or Cutlass would work.

What do you base this on? Please show me sources. The reason it's called piracy is because it mostly took place on water not land. Yes there were some land raids but they were few.

DeCouer

Some one also mentioned that it depends on what age of Piracy you are going for.  FRom the late 1600's thru the 1700's, the rapier had disappeared and the small sword was  carried on land.

That was me. I didn't even get into transitional blades! :ph34r:

Mt era of study is more Elizabethan to mid 1600's..so I'll stick with my Rapier thank you very much.

Rapier was still a gentleman's weapon. Look at Romeo & Juliet for example. The common man uses a sword and buckle but the nobility use the rapier. Sword and buckle was the common man's weapon not the rapier. I too have a rapier and main gauche but I don't use them for any maritime work whatever the era. Yes I know the remains of a rapier was found on the Mary Rose but that doesn't mean it was used as a weapon. Remember rapier comes from Espadas de roperas. A sword worn with clothing as oppose to armour. It's a dress sword. I love rapier work but I don't think it belong in martime (e.g. pirate) combat.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

For a boarding gig ., and an unlimited choice of weaponry? say from imaginary prizes takin in the past., and you were well on your way to prepping for your biggest prize yet?

I would have to say A blunderbuss for the immeadiate crossing of ship-to-ship., dropping the buss and pulling one of four differant Duckfoot volley pistols for each hand *Baldric mounted* ..., then again., then the short boarding cutlass in the right and the front mount sashe held duckfoot in the left., after the volley., dropping it and reaching for the last firearm a sea service pistol / war hammer...,

You cant spend the prize you wish to take..., unless you can live thru the taking of it :huh: Carry as much firepower as you really can.

:huh: HarborMaster :huh:

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"