Period Sandals

Animal

My wife and I a re looking for some periodish looking sandles. Boots tend to be hard for me to fit and custom made ones are out of my price range. Any Suggestions?

Animal

:lol:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I too have been trying to find an authentic sandal for my impression. Unfortunately, I got a big foot (sz 12).

Personally, I thik the best sandal to get would be this one, made by ecodragon.

507-std.jpg

It is (or was) a 100% Hemp sandal that looks to be a traditional style for the period. And, it is made of something that sailors would of had access to (all the ships riggings were hemp).

Sadly, ecodragon went out of business and is no longer making anything. They sold their remaining stock to grassroots natural goods.

My second choice would be hemp sandal 2, it is 100% hemp from ecodragon as well but has the upper part of a more modern style. They have them in men's sizes 8-10. I would cut the modern hemp straps off and try to splice in some hemp cord in for the straps though... but that is just me.

3rd Choice for me would be this clog. They have these in men's sizes 8,9,10, and 12. I would again cut the clog upper off and splice my own hemp cord onto it for an authentic style. But this is going to take some work.

Now, if your thinking... "dude I could care less what they are made of and how they are made, I just want some freaking sandals!"

Then this is the sandal for you!

They are made with nylon "rope" and melted together (not spliced or tyed), but they "look" like rope sandals. And you can get them in any size. Check out the neptune and barbados styles.

Hope this helps

Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

i found some at http://www.gurkees.net . i got the neptune style in natural. they are not a bad price and very comfortable. unfort- they are not made of hemp, but they look great. more info on them at bottom of pictures

BARNAT150.jpg

$22.95 - "barbados"

NEPDEN150.jpg

$19.95 - "neptune"

Guaranteed to fit! If your sandals don't fit, simply return them as per our return policy (before you wear them) and we'll gladly send you another pair at no additional cost! Easy Return Policy (mini pop up window)

Gurkees sandals (rope sandals) for men and women are handcrafted with soft polypropylene rope that's saltwater resistant, chlorine resistant and machine washable.

Polypropylene rope is the same material from which carpet fibers are made. That's why Gurkee's rope sandals last so long and feel so soft and light on your feet.

The double layer, industrial strength outsole of the Gurkees rope sandals offers flexibility with every step, yet is durable enough to last for years.

An adjustable backstrap allows for a great Gurkees fit.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Captain Siren of the Poesidon Posted on Sep 5 2004, 07:45 PM

Wow I like both of those styles...And they are comfortable Paisley??? 

yes they are...well, i think so. almost like going barefoot...now i have not worn them all day to see what my back thinks of them!....

hummmm...

need to get outta da house soon, frances drove me crazy....maybe i'll wear them tomorrow and tell ya what i think.

savvy?

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

• 2 weeks later...

i dont find them very comfortable but i have a friend that just loves them so i say it depends on what kind of person you are

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I've always wanted to wear rope sandals. But I've never really found any...

I always wear thong sandals. It's like a trademark for me. But, my ankles don't agree with it all the time. (thanks to a lovely trampoline and my cousin)

Would these actually work well for good support?

ARE YE KIDDIN?

Sandals are not built to provide support for two broken ankles.

They'll protect th soles of yore feet an' nuthin else, what ye be needin is some sturdy boots, (or maybe high-top sneakers.) ;)

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

i do believe he's right miss just wait out the injury and then you can go back to those lovely flops of yours

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Uhm, Hrothgar... The broken ankles were done a year ago, and I think they are fine. If I can tai kick a practice pad 200 times with each leg and still be able to walk, I think I am good. And yes, I can do that. Had to every day in self defense class. And it was fun watching my sparring partner fall to the floor after a really major kick. And that was just holden' the pads!

Since I'm either barefoot or in my boots, I like these sandels. However, the get stained pretty easy and are very slip on deck. I still prefer to sail barefoot and use the sandels for walking around the hot faires, which happens to be most of the faires in my area. :ph34r:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 8 months later...

dregging up old ideas - were period sandles all rope? I would think there would be some in leather. Maybe something from the barbery coast??

thanks fer help

Willie the rum runner

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

I don't see any reason at all why period sandals should all have been rope. I know of at least one pair from Hamburg(?) made of leather, though they date from the 15th century.

A mate of mine made me a pair of rope sandals based on a simplified version of the Hamburg sandals (which were quite complex), and they are very comfortable, though the leather sole could do with being thicker.

If you can push a needle through rope, why not have a go at making your own?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Mr. Foxe

As I am new to this study - what would Hamburg sandles look like? A pic would help a lot - I could make something if I had an idea where to start from. Would the sandle be curved or straight lasted as early shoes?? Hot cobblestone, glass and splinters are my motivation here - as well being as histerically accurate as possible.

I tried earlier to find a picture of the Hamburg sandal but couldn't. A cobbler friend of mine had a sketch of it in an archaeological report which he used as the basis for my sandals. However, here is a photo of one of my sandals.

sandal.jpg

My sandals are curved, but only very slightly. I believe the original Hamburg sandal was also curved but I couldn't swear to it - however, the guy who made them trained as an archaeologist before turing to re-enactment cobbling as a pastime so it's unlikely he would make such an elementary mistake if they were not.

It's funny you should talk about hot cobbles and suchlike - I find my sandals most useful for keeping my better shoes dry when the ground is churned up and muddy :( I gotta move to where you live!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thanke Mate,

Question about the leather portion - how thick? - number of layers? I can figure out how to attach rope or leather straps.

As to the weather here - welcome to Virginia mate - one of the original 13. Blackbeard fest was the recent event here. Great time - but that brought me to search for shoes - sandles of some type. It was around 70-90 degrees over the weekend with sunshine. I spent the weekend barefoot. ouch

Willie the rumrunner

Do you mean the sole? My sandals have only 1 thickness of sole leather but it's too thin for me really. I recommend 2 thicknesses of sole leather, or 1 layer but with a couple of layers of thinner leather on top.

Virginia sounds good, let me find my suitcase...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
here's a style that hasn't changed to much in a couple thousand years

(water buffalo sandals) from indian ocean area madgascar and the like

CI5401.jpg

available at several places online for under $25

callendish -

do you have a link for these places - i have been looking for water buffalo sandels for decades. used to be able to get them everywhre til the late 70's. thanks! :lol:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Most of the people I know who have bought rope sandals complain about them. There's no support and the rope can rub your toes and other areas of your foot into blisters especially if they get wet or get sand in them.

I think leather is the way to go.

Here is contact information to a gent that I use and can recomend. I own a pair of his rope sandals and use them with slops when the temps rise to Hell's Kitchen here in Texas. They are all hand made and very durable, the soles are rope as well and I paid $25.00 for mine. The rope material is actually a synthetic, but in the "natural" color you would never tell the difference. (It is also soft against the skin, instead of scratchy.) I do hope this will be of aid.

Sunstrider Sandals

Phil Brown-Proprietor

E-Mail: friarphil@yahoo.com

Websites: //sunstrider.faire.net or //ropesandals.us

1603 Alexander Drive

Waxahachie, Tx 75165

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

here's a style that hasn't changed to much in a couple thousand years

(water buffalo sandals) from indian ocean area madgascar and the like

CI5401.jpg

available at several places online for under $25

Hugh - that be the kind o' sandle I be look'n fer. If'n I spy's them out the coordinants will be made available fer the crew.

thanke much mate

Willie the rumrunner :lol: