Period Sandals

Animal

• 1 month later...

I had a pair of those, and while they look really cool and are certainly of a style that's been around for ages, I didn't care for them. They didn't hold well to my feet, the slid around alot, and the leather strap between the toes was bothersome. Of course, ymmv.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 years later...
dregging up old ideas - were period sandles all rope?  I would think there would be some in leather.  Maybe something from the barbery coast?? 

thanks fer help

Willie the rum runner

ya read my mind!

Was just gonna ask that!

Black Anne Roberts

From the great white north..looking for warmer climes

• 7 months later...

While searching for more tarred rope resources I ran across this site, she does not say 'what kind' of rope she uses, nor does she show th' soles to really see if they are all rope or not, but I wrote her and asked if she can tell and if she would consider making any out of hemp or tarred hemp. They look like the Gurkee's from page 1 of this thread but her site claims "she learned to make them from a friend":

Iguana Wear Rope Sandals

and then I ran across this one if anyone wants to try their hand as figuring out the weave to make your own. Some of the links to patterns are broken but the first and second pattern links still work (the second gives some details a seasoned weaver may be able to figure out):

Hemp, Straw, or Rice weaved sandals

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

she does not say 'what kind' of rope she uses, nor does she show th' soles to really see if they are all rope or not, but I wrote her and asked if she can tell and if she would consider making any out of hemp or tarred hemp. They look like the Gurkee's from page 1 of this thread but her site claims "she learned to make them from a friend":

Iguana Wear Rope Sandals

Front page says polypropylene, same thing as Gurkee's.

Which is probably fine Maybe if yer Dutch...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Yer breathing....isn't that enough?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

::hands Quartermaster James a couple pine tree shaped air fresheners::

shouldn't they smell like buffalo chips?? :D

Yer breathing....isn't that enough?

Well, I'm breathing...but I just got my buffalo sandals and they smell like they were cured in diesel fuel. Got 'em outside now, hoping it'll air off. Is this normal for these?

I know the very smell that you are referring to. I've bought leather products overseas with that very same "petroleum bi-product" odor to them. I've always assumed that it's a cheaper tanning chemical or a leather adhesive holding the thin layers together. Probably both. The smell doesn't ever go away entirely, but it evolves slightly to something less appalling.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Maybe they use employees t' break them in, give them that "just worn" fee...but they don't use foot powder over there!

:lol: