This one might be tough to answer...

A number of years ago (maybe 6) I bought a pirate cd at the Hampton Blackbeard Festival (this was when it was held in Tidewater Park.) The CD was sort of a metal rock band singing (actually, more like yelling) lyrics about pirates. It was just AWFUL. It had almost as much charm as the beastie boys pirate song. Anyways I lost the CD in a poker match shortly after, and have no more memory of who that CD was by.

Anyone know who I'm talking about? The only other scant details I can provide are that the cover was black with a red printing of a jolly roger with an eyepatch, and that one of the songs had a line that went something like:

"you know I'm not a liar

so you'd better believe I'll open fire"

or something like that :P

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Hmm. Y'know, it sounds like a CD I bought several years ago at a used CD store, thinking, "Oooh, a Pirate CD!", only to be disappointed. That band was actually called "Jolly Roger" as well as having a cover rather similar to what you describe. In a word, brrrrr.

Fair winds and a full bumper o'rum,

Trapper

:P

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

• 1 month later...
A number of years ago (maybe 6) I bought a pirate cd at the Hampton Blackbeard Festival (this was when it was held in Tidewater Park.) The CD was sort of a metal rock band singing (actually, more like yelling) lyrics about pirates

I have a CD sent to me years ago called "Purple Heart - Pirates by Night". The address on it is Newport News, so this would make sense you found it in Hampton. It's a locally-produced thing. The guy's name is Dennis Coffey.

Your description fits this CD perfectly. I tried my best to be diplomatic, but certainly could not give it a rave review in No Quarter Given. It was certainly not my cup o' rum. I equated it with AC/DC on their worst day with a horrible hangover. The singer "shout-sings" the lyrics -- he doesn't really sing, just shouts. Sort of like slow rap. It's played to electrical guitars and drums.

The lyrics, all original I think, were interesting -- not completely historically accurate. There is a song where Anne Bonny is in love with Major Stede -- it is not recorded that they ever met, but I guess it could have happened.

So, if you are into rock, whining electrical guitars, pirates and slow rap, you might enjoy this.

There were a few instrumentals on the CD that were lyrical and haunting which I enjoyed.

If anyone's interested, the address on the CD:

Purple Heart

PO Box 12027

Newport News, Virginia 23612-2027

I have no idea if this address is current.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven