Pirates in Colorado??

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a group for people still looking for pirates in Colorado.

http://www.piratesof...pute.org/forum/

Thanks for pimpin' me crew, Red Wake!

(At the risk of unsuccessfully resurrecting a long-dead topic...) My name is Michael Sheridan, and I live in Golden, CO - also a suburb of Denver, and directly bordering Lakewood. Yes, this is where Coors beer is brewed. Yuck.

Anyhow, I worked at the Colorado Renaissance Festival for 4 seasons as the resident Jack Sparrow impersonator, at which time I developed a deep and profound love for all things piratical, so I decided to branch out and start my own pirate crew, called the Pirates of Ill Repute. Landlocked pirates we be, proudly sailin' the High Plains since 2007!

There is also another, much larger pirate organization in Colorado, known as the Colorado Rogues (www.coloradorogues.com). I wanted to be part of a pirate crew, but I didn't particularly want to join the Rogues, feeling that they had something of a monopoly on Piracy in Colorado (and also considering the fact that I don't drink, and the Rogues have upon occasion been described as "a drinking group with a pirate problem." This is an image they have lately tried hard to get away from, but I digress...), so I decided to start my own crew, and that's how the Pirates of Ill Repute were born.

Recently a few other pirate groups have sprung up along the Front Range of the Rockies, including the Crimson Marque (www.crimsonmarque.com). Anyway, there are actually quite a few pirates around here now, which leads to my next point...

In 2008 I joined up with an organization called the Sunken Bones Society (www.sunkenbones.com), which was putting on a yearly party on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, called the Buccaneer Bash. The Sunken Bones Society is a 501©(3) non-profit pending organization dedicated to raising awareness and donations for nautical charities, like wreck sites, environmental projects, etc. Every year the proceeds of the Buccaneer Bash go towards furthering the Sunken Bones Society's mission, raising awareness for these important piratical causes. So far there have been three Buccaneer Bash's here in Denver, two of which I have helped organize. For 2010, the Sunken Bones Society has BIG things planned, as we intend to expand the Buccaneer Bash into a full-weekend convention that we are calling BrethrenCon. The way we figure it, we're about as far towards the middle of the country as you can possibly get, which means this is perfect neutral ground for pirate crews across the nation to meet and discuss Pirate Politics. It is our hope to set up the first Pirate Summit at BrethrenCon, where pirate crews from across the U.S. can come convene to make important decisions regarding the pirate community at large, as well as potential future collaborations. Keep a weather eye, mates.

If any of you out there are from Colorado, or the surrounding states, and wish to be a part of BrethrenCon, the Sunken Bones Society, or the Pirates of Ill Repute, I'd love to hear from you!

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow