...Then what's the best pirate movie?

Mr_Scabbs

Okay...

Someone said "Swashbucklers" was the worst pirate movie ever. But what would you say the best pirate movie is?

I would argue the best pirate movie would have to be just like any other great movie--one you can watch over and over again. Where people who don't necessarily give a crap about pirates can view it openly and objectively, and still walk away feeling it's a great movie.

I don't necessarily want to jump on the "Pirates of the Carribbean" bandwagon, but I would say it's the best pirate movie. It's well-made. Exciting. Good acting. Plus, the "cheez" factor is minimum, considering it's a Disney movie and based on a theme-park ride.

Are there are other pirate movies that are as fun and well-thought out?

(Oh, and I have a bias against the "Crimson Pirate". No pirate in his right mind would smile as much as Burt Lancaster. If I ever meet him in a dark alley...)

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's easy!

Captain Lust and the Pirate Wenches, a really bad x-rated movie from the 70's.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

I don't necessarily want to jump on the "Pirates of the Carribbean" bandwagon, but I would say it's the best pirate movie. It's well-made. Exciting. Good acting. Plus, the "cheez" factor is minimum, considering it's a Disney movie and based on a theme-park ride.

Well... then why do you think PotC has to be a "bandwagon"? PotC is popular among the general public and especially around we pyrates for a reason. Becuase just that... it is one of the best pirate movies out there. It's exciting, original, funny, and well acted, to be sure. But what we see in Pirates of the Caribbean is something we haven't before - a new kind of pirate. Johnny Depp has created a new personage, a new character that is instantly recognizable and well-loved. Like it or not, he's what made all pirates popular again. And he's not really like any kind of pirate before him. Sure, the cheesy factor is down a bit, but what also makes PotC so good is that it's tongue-in-cheek just enough for you to buy the story of undead/cursed pirate crew and not laugh your arse off.

I dislike how so many here are shamelessly obsessed with PotC, but also hate to say they love it, or that it's the best pirate movie. The movie wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't at least redeemable. I think this nonconformist-like attitude of not admitting when something's good just becuase it's popular is rather silly.

Along with PotC, I'd love to add Captain Blood to the list of the best pirate movies. It's Errol Flynn's first starring role in the adaptation of one of the most famous pirate novels. It's also very exciting, especially for the time it was made in, and it's got the handsome and dashing young Flynn to carry the film.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Hmmm. This is tough. I LOVE POTC, it's a tremendous comeback for pirate films and is endlessly watchable. However, my criteria for the best pirate movie would HAVE to include some actual piracy instead of treasure hunting and assorted derring do.

As my mate BlackJohn says, Heston's Treasure Island is excellent, probably better than POTC in terms of capturing the grittiness of the era. BUT, again....no actual piracy as defined by the robbing of vessels at sea.

To get the best scenes of pirates actually being pirates, you have to go waaaaay back to the silent era, for Doug Fairbanks Jr.'s "The Black Pirate". Trust me, this movie is KILLER. Mostly. The various pirate characters and the plundering scenes are jaw dropping even today. Doug Fairbanks produced the movie, and intentionally modeled the look of it after Howard Pyle's legendary paintings. And boy did he succeed. It just "clicks". So, if it's got this level of gritty pseudo-accuracy, why doesn't it get my vote for Best Pirate Movie? Because Doug wears this downright odd black jumper-type outfite with shorts, and just looks more gypsy than pirate. Also Doug isn't really a pirate...he's just a vigilante infiltrating the pirate gang by posing as one of them, so he can lure them in a trap and capture them.

Another critical criteria of Best Pirate Movie is that the lead character should BE a pirate. Which brings me to Errol Flynn.

Capt Blood is also VERY good, and remarkably ahead of it's time in many ways. AND if I'm not mistaken, I do believe Blood and his men actually plunder a vessel or two and even divy up loot. Granted, Blood is still a "good guy", but he still embraces the pirate life.

On to The Seahawk. In my opinion it's even better than Capt. Blood, although it's more about the Elizabethan era sea dogs and the like. But the long battle/plundering scene in the opening movie is spot on. Again, ahead of it's time in terms of the battle scenes, effects, pacing and action. The icing on the cake is that this time Flynn is a straight up privateer after gold and glory. Hurray!!!

So taken as a duo due to their close time of production and leading man, I would vote for Captain Blood & The Sea Hawk as the best pirate movies for capturing the essence of plundering at sea better than any movie to date.

Course my favorite to watch with a stiff double rum is probably Heston's Treasure Island. And Jack Sparrow is the best pirate ever on screen. But that's a whole other topic....

***PS - For what I feel is the best depiction of the short, brutal tragedy that is the pirate's life, check out High Wind In Jamaica. As a movie, it's not so hot overall, and it's set a century & a half too late for what a true pirate picture should be, but it's surprisingly honest.

Sorry for rambling on. It's late and the rum has kicked in. Cheers!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

It would be Against All Flags and Captain Blood, followed by PotC and Cutthroat Island.

The latter two are good family fare, but the other two have more interesting plots to them... and who could not love Maureen O'Hara as saucy Mistress Stevens. While some of it may seem cheezy by today's over the top special effects, it has some charm to it. And lest one forget The Buccaneer, with Yul Brynner as Jean Lafitte, Charlton Heston as Andy Jackson and directed by Anthony Quinn.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hehe... swap out Newton for Heston and Redd's got the right line-up!!! ;)

Yellowbeard... yet another pirate movie that needs to be on dvd.

Blackjohn

ARRR!!! No kiddin'! Why the hell ain't "Yellowbeard" on DVD yet? If I can go to the store and find every single damn movie starring the crappy Olsen Twins, why tha hell can't I get "Yellowbeard?"

But seriously, we should make a list of the top pirate movies and have everyone vote or something. You know. Democratic style. Because blood-thirsty pirates are extremely diplomatic when it comes to their movies...

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

I hear so much about the 1990 Heston version of Treasure Island, also with Christian Bale. I love Bale; he's one of my favourite actors. Since I just finished the book, I intend to see the movies, starting first with the original Disney fare. I bought the 1990 version on videotape just yesterday on eBay... I look forward to seeing it!

As for Cutthroat... the dialogue, and cheesy acting is really what marred the film. What really soured the movie was the overacting... it made the already cheesy dialogue much cheesier. The action was nice, as well the story, but the heart is really in the characters of William Shaw and Morgan the pirate. They were an awesome duo, and would make a great sequel. Great action though, and I really did enjoy it.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Okay...so far we have (in alphabetical order):

***Best Pirate Movie***

Against All Flags

The Black Pirate

The Buccaneer

Captain Blood

Captain Lust and the Pirate Wenches (X-rated movie from 70s)

Cutthroat Island

"Pirates" by Roman Polanski

Pirates of the Carribbean

The Seahawk

Treasure Island, 1934

Treasure Island, 1950 (Robert Newton)

Treasure Island, 1990 (Charlton Heston)

Yellowbeard

***Worst Pirate Movies***

The Crimson Pirate

Swashbucklers

What else???

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

Sorry. Here you go.

***Best Pirate Movies***

Against All Flags

The Black Pirate

The Black Swan (1942)

The Buccaneer

Captain Blood

Captain Lust and the Pirate Wenches (X-rated movie from 70s)

Cutthroat Island

"Pirates" by Roman Polanski

Pirates of the Carribbean

The Seahawk

Treasure Island, 1934

Treasure Island, 1950 (Robert Newton)

Treasure Island, 1990 (Charlton Heston)

Treasure Island, Muppets (Kermit the Frog)

Yellowbeard

***Worst Pirate Movies***

The Crimson Pirate

Swashbucklers

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

The Black Swan (1942)

> Tyrone Power

> Maureen O'Hara

Treasure Island (1950)

> Robert Newton

Captain Blood (1935)

> Errol Flynn

> Olivia de Havilland

> Basil Rathbone

The Crimson Pirate (1952)

> Burt Lancaster

Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)

The Curse of the Black Pearl

> Like you don't know who was it. . .

Cutthroat Island (1995)

> Geena Davis

> Frank Langella

From the looks of everyone else’s list of favorites, I need to check out the Charlton Heston version of Treasure Island and take another look at Roman Polanski's Pirates and maybe even Yellowbeard.

you mean i have to make a decision?

alright POTC is great and who dosen't LOVE Johnny Depp, but Crimson Pirate is great too,even if it's just for the cheese, there is no better line than "Lets Strip For Action!", and Captain Blood is lots of fun. as for Cutthroat Island, not one of the better one's but it was entertaining and the music was great. i can't make a decision, i like em all

"Time Flies When Your Having RUM!!!!"

"But everyone talks with a British accent when they drink."

Stow Away on the Juryrig

Aye, tis a difficult decision indeed. I mean Black Swan and Treasure Island have got ta be me top two all time favorites, though I’m not sure in what order. Then what order goes Captain Blood, The Crimson Pirate, Pirates of the Caribbean and Cutthroat Island, all depends on what mood I be in. For Classic I want Blood and for Silly I want Crimson, while Cutthroat is just plain Fun. And with Pirates of the Caribbean, I get all the above, being that it steals from most all the ones mentioned.