What a shame...

Charity

I can't believe ANYONE would go for this!

They're selling what's suppost to be Geoffrey's Barbossa hat.

1) there's not as many bulletholes, only one and Barbossa's in the movie had more.

2) IT'S GREY :ph34r: i don't buy it..it's not even like it..i'm shure!

Barbossas/Geoffrey's hat was black, i have many daytime pics and it's black as can be.

I think it's a sham.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

hero.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad, but true. It be the nature of the entertainment industry. Fakes and pirates alike just flood the world of props and prop-making. I got tired of even trying to collect authentic pieces from films...too easy to fake, and too many fakes.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Yep, all we can do is use our eyes and head.

This one is a dead giveaway, as even a flash cannot make a black hat look this grey.

It's so expensive too, i just feel sorry if someone spends this much thinking it is real. ;)

hero.jpg

I saw that earlier this morning ;)

I have seen this Ebay seller's stuff before. Something stinks about this. What say you? Arrrg. Just a few things things thig guy is selling? How is a person to know this stuff is real or not real?

This person is also selling this candle holder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2263355927

and these treasure chests:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2263444673

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2263719036

I saw the same guy selling "authentic prop treasure chests from POTC" that were identical in every way to the one that I had just bought at Target. His starting price was $50, I paid $20 for mine. He is obviously just buying stuff and selling them as genuine. Take a look at those lamps that claim to be from the Dauntless! You can get them at any gift shop! What a load of crap!

Of course, part of being a pirate is ripping off stupid people, so the people buying this crap don't get my sympathy! But if the seller happens to lurking around these parts, all I got to say is

Watch yer purse, bucko! There be real pirates about!

Ebay in itself is perfectly fine & upstanding. I've bought many fine & authentic items from books to prints, posters and more. You just need to be careful and stay away from things like props and autographs which are notoriously prone to being faked.

But blaming Ebay is like blaming the gun instead of the murderer holding the gun. :)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Hhmmmm... I'll send this guys address off to the Bruckhiemer lawyers in the morning.

Should I.... send him an email tomorrow from my Disney server? Scare the barnicales off him??

If he has any?

Whay say ye to that?? ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I say DO IT !!! I have bought most of my Garb from Ebay vendors and am REAL happy., alot for my wife as well., also many other things,. but yea buyer beware., plenty of scammers there., I have even sold a few things that were hard to get at the time (until so many others casted doops off me that I quit) However THis is just stupid I would definitely send him an Iron Bess AT Disney unit LOL .

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Should I.... send him an email tomorrow from my Disney server? Scare the barnicales off him??

If he has any?

Whay say ye to that?? B)

I say AYE! to that! Iron Bess! I say if he not be legit, that he be keelhauled! Looks like somebody bought that candleholder for about $80.00 ;)

I am sure that there are plenty of scurvy landlubbin' scoundrels on Ebay, but I would say there are more legit and honest merchants in those waters. I would never buy an autograph off of Ebay!! Buyer beware for sure!!

Hhmmmm... I'll send this guys address off to the Bruckhiemer lawyers in the morning.

If he has any?

Whay say ye to that??    B)

Aye!

Then his next sale on ebay can be a ziploc bag of crap that Disney scared outa him. ;)

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

:::Shakes head::: MY hat looks closer to Barbossa's hat than that one! Close, but no cigar.

Aye, the hat belt & the buckle were not right... nor the pheasant feather, it's too new.. :::nods::: I didn't think it was the real thing whatsoever. Besides... doesn't the real Barbossa hat just cock up naturally? I know mine does & it stays there! MerryD could vouch for it, I'm sure.

Too many feathers? Not even I have that many feathers.

Yeah.. have fun there, Bess! LOL, I'd say have a LOT of pirate decend upon this person... Oooooh, how much FUN we could have! Perhaps have someone passing off as Barbossa searching for his hat? ;)

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Since when did Barbossa's hat have a pheasant feather in it? If your going to pull a con, seems to me that you would at LEAST try to make it authentic. And the starting bid of 199.99?!?!?!

Wrong style hat. Wrong color. Wrong band. Wrong feathers. Wrong material. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

For that kind of money, yep I'd be emailin the seller, and emailin the lawyers.

And I'd pay to be a fly on the wall when the seller gets an email from a Disney domain!

Ya know, if that goes over on eBay, maybe I can sell Arizona beach front property? ;);)

Ocean front property in Arizona... ;)

Gonna throw in the Golden Gate for free? ;)

:rolleyes:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The deed is done.

His entire offering has been sent to the Bruckheimer attorny office ans I wrote and asked him to email me as I would like to discuss the *authenticity* of his items.

We'll see that happens. :rolleyes:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I thought them Disney lawyers had folks scouring e-Bay and the net lookin' fer this kind o'stuff.

I had several promotional items from the original Harry Potter movie that I mistakenly sold on e-Bay. Warner's shut me down completely and my contact said I did a big no-no (promotional items given out by the studio cannot be sold); I made many apologies, offered to give them the money that had been made (I was working for a girl's web site and the money was used to keep it running since the owner wouldn't take advertising dollars), so I know they are keeping track of that stuff.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I thought them Disney lawyers had folks scouring e-Bay and the net lookin' fer this kind o'stuff.

I had several promotional items from the original Harry Potter movie that I mistakenly sold on e-Bay. Warner's shut me down completely and my contact said I did a big no-no (promotional items given out by the studio cannot be sold); I made many apologies, offered to give them the money that had been made (I was working for a girl's web site and the money was used to keep it running since the owner wouldn't take advertising dollars), so I know they are keeping track of that stuff.

Oh they do keep a weather eye out...

But sometimes, we find it first. :rolleyes:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

OH...i love it when i get things going such as this!

Great thing Bess, 'what you've done :)

I'm glad i posted it and i thank the person who posted the link to this and told us about the auction.

And i would gladly pay to be there too, when this guy (woman?) get's an email from Disney :unsure:

hero.jpg

ROTDLMBAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed him this morning and when the Bruckhiemer people went to check the site, he had pulled up stakes and run like a rabbit!!

All his auctions are closed.

No one else will be cheated for now.

(Bowing from the waist)

Thank you, Thank you! :unsure:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif