Blackbeard

Subject: Whatever happened to Blackbeard's head?!!

After Blackbeard was decapitated by Lt. Maynard's crew, his head was hung out up at the junction of the James River and the Hampton River as a warning to potential pirates, where it stayed there for many years.

Eventually, it was removed and, according to multiple sources which are deemed reputable by those at Williamsburg, The skull was covered in silver and fashioned into a the base of a drinking vessel. This was in place for many years at the Raliegh Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg. The tavern still exists, but sadly, the drinking vessel disappeared.

Browsing through the Sept 2002 issue of NQG, I took note that in an article titled "Reminices of Edward Rowe Snow" that the author stated that Snow had in his possession a silver covered skull (minus the drinking vessel) which he claimed was none other than Blackbeards.

The author expressed considerable doubts as to the authenticity of this artifact, but if it still exists, my feeling is that it would be worthwhile to track down Snow's heirs and encourage them to have the relic lab tested and at least determine if the skull and the silver covering it are consistant to the time period.

If a small sample of bone tissue could be removed... perhaps it could be compared to that of anyone claiming to be a decendent of Blackbeard? I don't recall reading if he had children, but he most certainly had multiple marriages.

It seems like this could be an extremely profitable venture for the present day owners of the skull. If it could be verified as authentic... that baby would be priceless.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

My husband and I are working on writing up a screenplay about Blackbeard. yeah, I know there's a bunch of movies about him, but we thought the modern touch would do it justice! Found some great stuff on him in the Big Book of Bad! B)

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

• 2 weeks later...