New Simplicity pattern

...So that was coat #2. Here, added again to this thread, is coat #1, worn by my son (for the record, this is the coat that is currently missing)

WilliamTheBloody001.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a spectacular coat! As always, my compliments, Pete! Aye, an' th' images of yer new attire ya posted on the Fool's Gold photos is extraordinary! Very fine for such a sharp gent such as yerself.

Tis a pity that that coat be missing. It is a fine one. As well as yer young lad unable to attend the event. Such smart lads coming whom I'm sure would love to have enjoyed some piratical mayhem with him. Young Master all them may b'come! :)

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

It comes as an incredible relief to report that the coat has been found. Repeat: the coat has been found. All hands, stand down from your stations.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Some background information is necessary. The coat was last seen Hallowe'en 2005. The kids were with us for the weekend, but then went back to their mother's house (downstate - 300 miles away) on Sunday evening, 30 October. Hallowe'en was officially the next day, and he wanted to bring most of his pirate gear back with him (note: the photo was taken one year earlier: Hallowe'en 2004).

When I started reminding him (around Christmas) to bring the coat back to my house, confusion ensued as to whether he ever took it to his mother's home, etc., etc., blah blah blah. We speak on the phone at least once a week, and I keep asking him if it turned up. No, no, no and no. I realize that the coat could easily be folded flat and be laying in a drawer, or in a stack of clothes, or in a bag... but he also took the tricorne hat, which is much too three-dimensional to be hidden under a pair of socks. So where could it be?

So, if I understand correctly, there was a pile of clean clothes sitting in a laundry basket, and the coat was within or under those clothes. And there were one or more other laundry baskets nested within that basket with varying quantities of clothes within them. I have no idea how badly pressed that coat has become... And I cannot speak of the fate of the hat, as that was apparently with the coat, buried within the geologic strata of laundry. Erg.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oops... I think I really screwed up this time I accidentally turned all the pattern pieces backwards and sewed them together upside down... and did it by following the instructions in Frecnh. This is what I ended up with:

pirate.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

Forgive me ... I have posted these photos in various Pub threads already, but I think they also belong in here.

PortW37.jpg

The Simplicity pattern was used to make the coat (justacorps), the waistcoat, and the pants.

PortW54.jpg

Sash (waist), sword baldric (in the top photograph), and shirt were all done without any pattern. Hat is a regular hat blank I heavily modified. Put the buckles on the shoes.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now making a waistcoat from the Simplicity pattern to go with my son's Pirate Coat. Really finished the whole thing this morning.... need to hand-sew shut the interior lining holes, then make the button holes & sew on the buttons.

Man, I am getting a lot of mileage out of these $1 patterns! Large size (for me): coat, two shirts, pants, and waistcoat. Extra small size (William the Bloody): coat, waistcoat, pants (lengthened for Civil War trowsers), and shirt. Maybe the best two bucks I ever spent.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Hello dears :) I'm using this pattern to make my husband's coat for the Pirates in Paradise Festival. I want to make myself one as well, but I'm about half the size required to fill it out. Does anyone have suggestions for cutting the pattern down effectively? <_< Thanks!

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

As mentioned two or three posts ago, I used the men's XS size for my son's coat. However, this required purchasing a second pattern, which was no problem at the time because they were on sale for $1 apiece.

If you are scaling down a larger pattern, I hope you are a very experienced seamstress -- it will require a lot of recalculations.

If you are adventurous, you can make your husband's coat, then cut the new fabric according to HIS finished coat panels -- taking in seam allowances should make the difference ... but maybe not ...

... Ultimately, I strongly recommend you purchase a second pattern with the XS size (or measure yoursealf against the other available sizes) for the best end result.

- - - - - - -

The Renaissance Faire was a great success. My son's complete outfit looked great. So many people remembeed me (actually, they remembered my coat) from last month's Pirate Festival, it was quite amazing.

Pictures coming soon...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

For those wishing to "upgrade" the Simplicity pattern to a more histocally accurate coat, please refer to the patterns at The Costumer's Manifesto website-

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/1...8thpatterns.htm

Another option is to purchase patterns from "Reconstructing History".

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Here is my son again in the same coat, but with the added waistcoat (I added functional pockets to his waistcoat):

7-27-2006-315.jpg

Another shot...

7-27-2006-233.jpg

And one more...

7-27-2006-214.jpg

Those pants are NOT from the Simplicity pattern. I ran out of steam, especially as I had two more outfits (my wife's and my daughter's) to make for the Bristol Ren Faire. I went to the local Goodwill, found pairs of light trousers (@ $1.99), cut them below the knee, hemmed them, and added a button on each side. This worked for my son and for my daughter (hers can be seen below):

7-27-2006-221.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

A fine, fine coat there, Syrcuse. My hearty compliments! They make ye smashingly dashing!

Again, grand images, Pete.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are busy using this pattern for our crew of 10 people. (We're heading down to Pyrates in Paradise.) SO far so good. I've made 9 vests, 5 shirts and one coat, (thats mine). The pattern isn't to bad. I have a overlick machine and I cheated somewhat on the vests and sowed them a bit different.

I've made My own pants patterns. One for the men and one for the women. I plan On posting an entire write up of the whole project when done. It's been a long road and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Here are some pic of what I've done. (I posted most of these already in the Rabble Rousing)

Freebootterfullgarb3.jpg

Freebootterfullgarb2.jpg