New Simplicity pattern

Check it out all!

# 4923... it's meant to look Sparrowish... but, after looking at the pattern & a couple reviews from a PotC Costuming chat list... it's a grand buy!

Pretty close to 18th c pattern cuts, even looks like a fall front breeches! Yes.. BREECHES! Not some silly drawn string pants or something that is not really all that period. I'd imagine that you can make it also fly front.

Pattern includes a frock coat, waist coat, shirt, breeches & cravat.

Available for adults & kids.

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this pattern. So far it's the best looking pirate pattern I seen in wide commercial distribution. I am impresed with the detailing that went into including the breeches. I just have to decise on materials and I'll probably have one sewn up by next weekend.

The model they got to pose is just. . . eeeeeew.

However, it's the closest thing yet to a commercial coat pattern with real pleats in it, so I'm going to grab it and check it out. I'm interested to see how the construction directions compare with period construction techniques. I suppose that using the pattern while comparing it to the photos/diagrams in historical costume books should have you with something quite nice at the end.

I love that. . ."I'll have one sewn up by this weekend". I am so jealous that you have the time! I have a feeling that most of my projects are going to have to be done piecemeal over the next couple of months. With school and work, I have no time anymore. More hand-sewing in front of the TV at night, I suppose.

: )

If anybody tries it, post photos!!!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I hear ya Akasha. Most of my sewing is done on the weekends right now. I still have 2 kids shirts to cut out and sew as well as hats. All has to be done before August 21, when we go to PA Renfaire for pirate weekend. The shirts are a must, but I may not get the hats done (I only have one to finish and another to make). It is tuff to work all day, pick up 4 yr old after work and then come home to cook dinner. After dinner, give child bath and get him ready for bed which is sometimes a process.

I do need to make myself some stuff as well as my hubby. Oh well, life goes on.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

I love that. . ."I'll have one sewn up by this weekend". I am so jealous that you have the time! I have a feeling that most of my projects are going to have to be done piecemeal over the next couple of months. With school and work, I have no time anymore. More hand-sewing in front of the TV at night, I suppose.

Arghh... This weekend isn't going to happen.. nor the next few.

Turns out I am the only costumer at the theater I just started volunteering at and I have to crank out about 15 ensembles by the end of the month. (9 of those being Caribbean influanced Tudors. Don't ask.)

sewing machine died while sewing some wrap pants for a friend the other day! :ph34r: and i have patterns and fabric everywhere. looks like they won't get done till next season. *cries*

"Time Flies When Your Having RUM!!!!"

"But everyone talks with a British accent when they drink."

Stow Away on the Juryrig

Aye Lady B, I just picked this pattern up whilst I were on me trip last week. It be a right nice reproduction fer a commercial pattern. I too, noticed the historically accurate breeches. :D

I bought it at Wal-Mart where all patterns are 1/2 price all the time (so $8 instead of $16). Me first mate wants t'be Jack but I wants me a Captain Hook fancy-coat.

Upholstery Fabric Outlet here I come!

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

If you can't find it at Joanns try Handcock's. I got mine there and their patterns are always 50% off. I am trying to make the vest for my Cap'n Jack (Bartholemew that is). Being as he also uses it when he is performing, it needs lots of pockets added for storing walk-around illusions. :D

Anyone out there know how to how to incorporate top-it's? :D

I am in love with that pattern.

That and a Louis the XIV-esque style coat two sizes too big and I shall be happy as a clam.

I am going to need a sewing machine if I'm going to be making breetches. That....don't....fall apart.

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

JoAnn Fabrics will be selling the Simplicity patterns for $.99 Aug 14th only!

Heck! I plan to go back & buy more of that pattern! As well as a few more other patterns. I'm stocking up on them so I can make my own attire for later. :)

Butterick patterns are on sale for $.99 again Aug 19th - 21st.

Girls! I am SOOOO going to be stocking up! Oooh, happy days! :: Snoopy dances::

Oh! & Simplicity is having a costume contest! Check it out on their website or at your local JoAnn or other fabric store... hopefully, they will carry the contest. I'm definitely entering a couple of my costumes. :D

So Scott and I grabbed one of the new pirate coat patterns this weekend so I could check it out. It's pretty cool. The layout is very similar to a couple of coats in my book collection, although the construction techniques are very modern. I'm going to do some measurements and see how well they made it fit to modern specs.

Watch out on that $1000 costume prize, though. . . if my arms get back into commission in time, I am *so* entering!!! : ) : ) : )

I do have to complain regarding one aspect of the pattern. . . who picked the model? That fake facial hair does nothing to make me want to sew that costume for anyone. Yeesh.

:rolleyes:

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

:huh:

You have to admit, for a mainstream pattern, it's the best one yet. Though, still not a great as the ones from the sutlers. But rather close. Very close.

I hear ya, girl!

I'll be going for it. Only my pirate outfit at the moment, since I used a Simplicity pattern for it. The other outfits I used Butterick. Albeit, each one was altered.

The contest looks like fun though. :huh:

William, if by God's good graces, maybe I might make ya a wicked outfit to your pirate heart's content.

I still want this pattern and I intend to stock up come August 14th!

Hey, do you girls know the best available pattern for the best looking frock coat? I don't want a "costume" looking coat, I want a nice one.

Contest, waaai! I may enter, but I need to see what they're asking for, first!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Yes, this pattern IS one of the better mainstream costume ones. I used the Simplicity 5958 for Jack's and my vests and his breeches and only needed to make some small modifications to them. One of the problems I've found with a lot of costume patterns is the "fit and finish" - I guess they must figure that no one's going to care if you are just going to wear them once for Halloween. They didn't figure on a bunch of piratical types wanting to wear them all year round. :)

I really like the coat, breeches and the longer vest in this pattern. I've been promising Jack a lighter-weight vest. Akasha, would you know where I could get some hemp fabric locally? (And I'm definitely with you on the fake facial-haired model on the cover. Yecch!)

RHJMap.jpg

Akasha, would you know where I could get some hemp fabric locally? (And I'm definitely with you on the fake facial-haired model on the cover. Yecch!)

My usual fabric searches start with Jo-Anns and Beverly's (cheapest, since I have coupons), moving to Thai Silks, Discount Fabrics, and Mendel's on Haight, followed by Hart's in Santa Cruz, and then Britex. I haven't seen hemp fabric at most of these places, but I haven't really looked for it before. I scour Jo-Anns pretty regularly for stuff, and I'm almost certain they have no nice linen or hemp fabrics.

I'd call Discount Fabrics and Britex and see if they have it and what their cost is. There might also be places in Santa Cruz that would have it, being Santa Cruz and all. Barring that, Thai Silks has some nice raw slubby silk in a variety of colors that would make a lovely vest. Ace made one for his Jack Sparrow costume that has a really nice texture to it.

I'll keep my eye out for some during my next shopping trip. Have you considered ordering online?

-Jennifer

Not sure, Wolfy. I haven't tried out all the patterns.... yet.

Yeah, the contest looks like it will be fun.

Doesn't look like they ask for much, really. It looks worth it.

I've got to do something about my Pantaloons for my black clad pirate outfit since the pant- breeches ripped ... & it's not along a seem either. I will have to make another pair it seems. :P

I hear ya there, Akasha. They don't plan on re-enactors which is a HUGE group. Lots of Ren Faire attire, but VERY little when it comes to Colonial, Civ War or other time periods unless you know specific money consuming sutlers.

Granted they are coming out with more & more patterns, but the Colonial era still lacks greatly with fine attire patterns.

Hehehehe.... well, Will... I'll keep it in mind. Any type of material you have in mind or a specific look you have in mind?

:lol: