Strange Scrimshaw

I've plundered meself the oddest scrimshaw on bone ye ever did see. On one side it has tha carvin' o a right comely lass wi a sword an the words "ALWINDA THE FEMALE PIRATE". On the other an etchin of a sailor a haulin a woman in a dress into a launch oshore wid his ship on tha horizon in the distance wi tha inspcription "Gibbs carrying the dutch Girl on board 1837". Can any o you salts tell me ye know about all o this? I'd be beholden to ya.

It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.

Sir Francis Drake

Sounds right interestin'. You couldn't by chance load a picture of that on this here website, could you?

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Alwinda was a viking princess who refused to accept a marriage of convenience, planned by her father, and fled with a group of women from her town. They became pirates and plundered on the Baltic Sea. I don't know if she is an actual historic person or a legend.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Them's some beautiful scrims, Royaliste!

Thanks for tha lead, Tales. I'll see if I can conscript a digital camera from one o me mates to post a picture.

It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.

Sir Francis Drake

OK here is some additional info. It took me a minute to remember the another version of the name. Alwinda is known more widely as Alvilda, Alwilda, Alfhild or Alvild. She first appears in Saxo Grammaticus' book "the History of the Danes". So she is likely historic, but is so far back in history that the exact circumstances may have been exaggerated through verbal storytelling. So you've kinda got a legend based on an actual person.

Here is a link to History of the Danes, with the different places that Alfhild appears:

Alfhild in Danish History

Here is a nice little summary, since Saxo Grammaticus, although interesting, is a tough read:

Alwinda

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 2 weeks later...

As a question that may be a litle off topic, I've heard that the scrimshaw done by sailors was in general more crude than the work being done today. Is there any truth to this and is the scrimshaw you posted new or old Royaliste?

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET