Pirate Clothing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Cronus,

I think that pattern would be a great start for a pirate costume. However (hope I don't sound condescending), don't make the jacket exactly like the pattern. Remember...there are thousands upon thousands of pirates out there, and most of them get their goods from patterns!

If you do use a pattern, mix up the fabrics and maybe try a black velvet jacket with a red printed brocade cuffs and jacket lapels! I think that would look very snazzy!

Also, if you want that sleazy pirate look, pair wild patterns. If you want that polished, captain's look, stay mostly with matching patterns. Like use a similar fabric on the vest as what is on the lapels and cuffs. But, hey...make your coat your own. After all, what fun is buying stuff right off the rack? None at all, if ya be askin me.

I love to twiddle with different trims and such. Also, look on the Internet for different trim ideas. Center Stage Costumes has an excellent pic from "The Trial and Hanging of Captain Kidd." It would be the perfect site to check out for alterations on that coat of yours.

Be your own pirate! Challenge the rules!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I just wanted to pass along that the problem I had finding pirate boots for my husband seems to be solved.

If you'll remember, he has trouble with his feet due to diabetes and can't wear hard shoes. He needed a wide width and something very soft and flexible.

We decided to try a different kind of look for him and ended up going with a soft brown suede lace up the front, up to the knee boot. They are very soft sided and are soft on the top, but have a hard sole and a cushioned insole. More of a renaissance pirate look than a Golden Age of Piracy look, but considering he was in a pair or leather sandals before because it was all he could stand to wear, it is a considerable improvement. These actually look pretty darn good and he's happy.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Actually, this came about during the Angel Island Pirate Raid. He admired Eric's boots and asked him about them. They were a bit more than we could manage price-wise, but I started hunting and found him a very similar pair at a good price, which he is quite pleased with. Gotta keep me ol' pirate comfy!! :) I also emailed our lady who does my wench outfits and asked if she would make him a custom-sized white pirate shirt. He never liked the one he has. It's on order now and should be here before Oakland, so he'll be happier and more comfortable, as well as lookin' like a handsome rogue in his new gear.

Mad Mary, do you have a photo of yours? I'd love to see it!

I agree, Becky does fabulous work, her prices can't be beat and she's a pleasure to work with. I constantly get people asking where I got the great wench outfit! I've sent several referrals her way and every one of them raves about how much they love their dress. Becky also does specialty projects. She's doing a custom pirate shirt for my husband who is a tough guy to fit.

What's really cool is that Becky emailed me the other day to tell me that she's sending me a thank-you gift for the referrals I've sent her way- a custom made wench outfit that she says is the cat's meow- Deepest blood-red brocade with a black chemise!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Claire/Poison Quill:

I'm glad hubby got boots that he likes. I may have that same problem when fitting Bob the Swab. He has wide feet as well as multiple foot problems.

I really like the moc-style boots. And, as you said, they're much more "renaissance pirate" than "golden age pirate", but they look great, and as long as he's comfy...that's all that matters. You can't quite plunder efficiently with achy feet!

I know that the Minnetonka site has lots of great moc-boots that I believe are relatively similar to the ones you got for hubby. They have very reasonable prices, and Minnetonka is ONE COMFY BOOT!

The ones I saw that I liked were knee-high lace up and cost about $60. Comes in Tobacco (dark brown suede) or Black suede. Some of the styles even come in a softer brown that I believe they call "camel" or "chamois". Not sure which.

Check it out. I don't remember the site name, but you can find it by using a search engine with "Minnetonka".

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Ahoy....

Tis Bob with the bad feet! Claire made a good choice when selecting those moc-style boots, seems soft enough on the top and now we just have to test how the bottoms do over time.

Much better then those fancy boots I had before...

• 2 weeks later...

For those hearty soles with foot problems, but with the hearts of a plunderer...might I suggest boot- jacks. Ren-store.com carries them.

A boot-jack would be a leather "sleeve" that would fit over your regular shoes, but gives them height....just a thought.

Why you could event put them over the mock-lace up ren boots to cover the laces.... :ph34r:

Hullo mates. I just got my first outfit from Designs by Kate. She has a link on NO QUARTER GIVEN under the pirate clothing heading. They look GREAT! Got a pair of slops, Frilled cuff shirt and vest that's reversable with another color! For under $135.00. For a beginner just starting out it's a pretty good deal.

kate@fairewaire.com

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

If you can't post, or don't know how, just ask Claire/PoisonQuill/TalesOfTheSevenSeas (she'll answer to any of the names), and she might put pics up for you. Of course, remember she's a pirate, so ask nicely.

:)

Capt. WE Roberts

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, how wonderful!

AMAZON PIRATE WOMEN! I'm either 5'9" or 5'10"!

Close to 6' in my pirate costume!

A tall woman is someone to look up to,

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

I agree. I'm 6'2" -- even taller in me boots. It's fun to be tall.

My daughter at almost 6 foot complains about being the shrimp of the family (my husband is 6'3" and my son 6'4").

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

6'2"? Wow! What a pirate!

So, I suppose you have the same arm and leg length problems that I have....

Arrgh! And findin britches long enough is like scraping off barnacles with a feather!

FOR NORMAL CLOTHES...other than pirate gear--

And, I know that every now and then, you have to wash yer pirate gear and live in what others like to call "the real world," so here's a tip for tall gals...

Levi's has a new line of jeans out called Nouveau. They come in long lengths! Low rise (but not plumber pants) and boot cut (not bellbottom).

Yay! I love this new style! All the "average" sized folks wear their jeans too long! This means all of us taller gals can have a good chance at finding pants that actually fit long enough to cover our socks! Woo hoo!

IMPORTANT PIRATE NOTE: An average-sized pirate can kick your butt. A tall pirate can kick you in the head.

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

Arrr...bein' naturally 6'4" (Unlike me former Captain who had...shall we say...a lower center of gravity than most)presents some difficulty in finding pieces sometimes...I'm jus' glad me mum taught lil Redd how ter sew.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

6'2"? Wow! What a pirate!

So, I suppose you have the same arm and leg length problems that I have....

Arrgh! And findin britches long enough is like scraping off barnacles with a feather!

FOR NORMAL CLOTHES...other than pirate gear--

And, I know that every now and then, you have to wash yer pirate gear and live in what others like to call "the real world," so here's a tip for tall gals...

Levi's has a new line of jeans out called Nouveau. They come in long lengths! Low rise (but not plumber pants) and boot cut (not bellbottom).

Yay! I love this new style! All the "average" sized folks wear their jeans too long! This means all of us taller gals can have a good chance at finding pants that actually fit long enough to cover our socks! Woo hoo!

IMPORTANT PIRATE NOTE: An average-sized pirate can kick your butt. A tall pirate can kick you in the head.

Capt. WE Roberts

Aye, being a bit tall me self, I finally went to the Chicago Levi's store and tried out the Original Spin program. They measure you up, then you pick exactly the way you want your pants to fit, inseam, leg opening, material, fly, pockets etc. And mysteriously two weeks later the perfect pants show up on the doorstep. A truly inspired program.

~Swoon~

The perfect pair of Levi's? Without riding or bunching or highwaters or plumber pants? Oh, my goodness. I have to find this Original Spin program! I have to go surf the web. Scuse me. Bye!

Capt. WE Roberts