Smoke & Fire company has patterns for many mens 1700's

style coats as well as coats, breeches, weskits, hats & etc

are available from many merchants like G. Gedney Godwin,

Calapooia Traders in Oregon, whop specialize in 18th century

clothing, also the Historical trekking list has a good list of

merchants as does NO QUARTER GIVEN'S list of merchants

and artists & etc. My best advice is to look around, decide

what you want, what price guidelines are and then talk to

the merchants before ordering. Good luck.

Cheers!

Redhand

:D

what I want is to look like some of those pictures from the Pirates in Paradise Festival.

I want to look like the traditional Pirate Captain. Eyepatch, Hook, Sword, Hat, and obviously the actual costume.

EDIT: if someone can help me piece together something that looks like one of those it'd be great. Cuz I don't know what to look for exactly in the actual costume, that's why I've come to you guys who are very piratey, and prolly know exactly what to get.

So if someone has some free time after reading this and can suggest what pieces of piratey clothing I should get it'd be great.

Also.. nothing OVERLY expensive (like those pirate boots that cost $500+)

If you know someone that sews, give a look to www.jpryan.com. They carry excellent patterns of the period: shirt, pants, long waistcoat and coats that should be t' yer likin'. If yer up Seattle way, I'd recommend Costumes Period. JoAnne has some lovely stuff t' be piratin' in, and is a brilliant seamstress as well.

Fair winds,

Trapper

:D

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

I'm new to what would make me look mighty piraty...

from that site what do you recomend (I am male by the way).

or any other site for that matter. (just tell me the name of the item and the site.) I wanna be the best looking pirate in Canada B)

EDIT: Also I'm thinking about just a normal pirate not a captain...

Well, if yer wantin' ready-made, I'd suggest www.jastown.com and www.hamiltondrygoods.com. Hamilton has some very reasonable breeches, and jason townsend has some very nice, reasonable shirts. Then at a minimum you'll be wantin' a vest if not a coat. Check out Pirates of the Caribbean. The pirate outfits really aren't bad. If yer close to Seattle, email dressmup@aol.com. That's JoAnne at Costumes Period. She does a bang up job, and will work quick if that's necessary. I also haunt ebay looking for stuff.

Hopin' it helps.

Fair winds and a barrel o' Nelson's Blood to ye,

Trapper

B)

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

WENCH WEAR - ARRRRRRRRR FAVORITE RESOURCE!!

The outfit I'm wearing in the photo below was custom made by Becky Cristler. Her work is top quality and she's a pleasure to do business with.

For a measly $75 you get the bodice/skirt combination and the chemise!!

Becky tailors the outfit to your measurements and makes them in your choice of fabrics and colors. She also can make the extras, like upper arm guantlets seen on mine and mutton caps.

Three of our wenches have purchased from her and we all look different and unique. All of us were delighted with the results and the quality of her work and the fabrics. The dresses are very flattering.

You can email Becky Cristler at sunset_red7@yahoo.com

Tell her I sent ye!!

POEClaireWithHearse.jpg

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

(thankee Cap'n Cronus!!)

Seeking wide width pirate boots for me hubby!!

Perhaps someone can help me with this one. I'm looking for a pair of pirate boots for my husband in a wide width. He's not only got wide feet, but some diabetes related foot problems, so they need to be comfy and that is critical. We're up for spending up to about $200ish I've looked at tons of places but the only wide with boots I can find are custom sized and cost multi-hundreds. I'm on the verge of taking a comfy pair of soles from his modern shoes and having our pirate who does leather crafting make the uppers unless someone knows a place for wide with pirate boots or reasonably priced custom made!!

Although this coat is not 100% historically accurate, it is 100% pirate!! This coat one me prizes in two pirate event costume contests and got me photographed by a Disney casting agent last year. I

t is made by Kristi Smart and it is beautifully, and sturdily made. Mine is heavy black denium-like material, but she also does them in velvet. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. I pulled it off the rack, held it up to my husband and said- "Oh yeah! SOLD!!" before I even looked at the price tag (which was reasonable and slightly less than they are now)

So many people ask about the coat, that I now carry Kristi's business cards with me in my belt pouch every time I wear it!

Here is a photo of it taken recently when doing some work with the Pirates of Emerson who run a pirate haunted house. I'm done up in airbrushed ghost makeup!

GhostPirates.jpg

Alrighty!

I'm answering several questions at once.

FOR CLOTHING FINDS: Captain Cronus, I am a firm believer in Goodwill stores. Most Goodwill stores have a certain colored ticket for 99 cents at least once a week. Take a gander...

99 CENT ITEMS:

Navy blue calf-length frock coat (for women)

Ivory satin ruffled high-necked shirt with piratey sleeves

Natural colored chemise-looking shirt

Off-white chemise-looking shirt with drawstrings

Red satin jacket

Tartan plaid vest with buckle closures

Black crushed velvet pants

Ivory and gold tapestry vest (I intend to make into a bodice)

3" wide black suede belt with antiuqed brass buckle

Floor length white satin formal dress (fer my weddin at the Pirates in

Paradise Festival)

Floor length black and white dress (I intend to use the skirt half of the dress for a black piratey skirt)

Black velvet (ugly) dress that can be used for at least 3 yards of material!

OTHER THINGS, NOT 99 CENTS:

Men's black brocade calf-length frock coat $7.49

Ladies black satin lace-up corset top $3.99

50+ yards of brand new soft white 4" lace (great for cuffs) $6.00

GOOD MOVIES TO WATCH FOR CLOTHING IDEAS:

These are where I got mine...

"Muppet Treasure Island" Tim Curry's pirate captain outfit toward the end

"Hook" Dustin Hoffman's costume is awesome!

"Restoration" Around the reign of Charles I in England, great costumes that won awards!

"The Discovery Channel's Trial and Hanging of Captain Kidd" Awesome costumes...see http://www.centerstagecostumes.com for the private commissions and the actual Captain Kidd costume.

Check out (see above) Center Stage Costumes for coats and hats

Also, check out (my favorite for ideas) Authentic Works Pirate section. http://www.authenticworks.com

These are all supreme sites and movies for costuming. And, if you're like me and hate to sew, all but a smidge, just hot glue. I hot glued upholstery trim on a red coat dress, and it lasted over three years! Go to Walmart, Hobby Lobby or any other store that has gaudy ribbons and trim!

See our hat section for great ideas from myself, Captain Flint, Stynky, Captain Weaver and other members of our ragtag crew here aboard pyracy.com!

Good luck! Hope I helped matie!

Arrgh!

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Oh, and who was it that needed WIDE PIRATE BOOTS?

I found my thigh-high leather boots on ebay. I have remotely wide feet, and the boots I got are a little too wide for me. All I did was type in "renaissance boots", and lots came up. If you don't have any luck looking under those search terms, go to the ebay store called Stella's Sexy Stuff. SSS has weird fetish stilletto boots with 6" heels, but they also carry a wide assortment of knee length or taller boots with merely a 1" heel. The thigh high boots I got have a 3/4" heel, and can be cuffed down to look like pirate bucket boots, because the top of the boot is lined in leather.

Of course, since they are so soft, they may tend to sag around the ankles, if your thighs aren't as...wholesome...as mine. You may need to invest in boot garters or simply tie a shoelace around the knee before you turn the tops down.

The boots I got are comfortable, soft leather that didn't even need to be broken in before I went tromping around at the Tennessee Renaissance Festival...for 6 hours...in loose gravel. Also, the thigh high tops were handy when carrying around a map of the grounds and a couple packs of cigarettes! I didn't have any pockets!

Best of all...they were under $50! I believe they were $48 with shipping and insurance.

Am I a bargain hunter, or what?

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

On the Ebay renaissance boots...

I'm afraid the Ebay renaissance boots are not wide width. I bought my husband a pair because I was so happy with mine. We even got them a size larger than what he normally wears, but I'm afraid that they are simply too narrow and with the diabetes troubles he can't wear them. So they are now a part of our guilds stock of loaner gear. If the auction goes for cheap it works great, but near the time of the renaissance fair it goes higher than they sell for outright. When that happens you can buy them direct from two seller on-line at Midnight Fashions and also at Hot Sexy Wear both sell them on Ebay as well as direct order.

On the thrift store shopping...

I've bought boatloads of stuff at the thrift stores, but primarily to suppliment the guilds stock of loaner gear and it's all been pretty basic stuff. I'm amazed you found a broccade calf-length coat in one! I regularly make sweeps of the ones in the mountains, the ones in downtown Santa Cruz and the ones in San Jose. I cover about a 30 mile radius between home and job and have never found a treasure like that!

I therefore bow humbly before you and relinquish my title of Supreme Bargain Shopping Goddess!!! Do you have photos of some of your finds?

TalesOfTheSevenSeas/Claire:

Thanks for the nod for bargain shopper of the year. I am on a severe budget, and I don't know how I'd ever shop for my gear if it weren't for Goodwill and other thrift stores like that.

Sorry that my idea about ebay boots didn't work out. Before I found my pair of thigh high boots, I looked all over the internet. I tried "Musketeer boots" and "renaissance boots" as well as zillions of other words and phrases. There was one site that came up that was quite good when I typed in "Musketeer boots". You might try that route. Anyway...good luck with the boot search. Hope hubby finds some he likes. I fear I may have the same problem, since my sweetie wears a (men's) 13...wide. That somehow makes my (women's) 9.5 seem kind of small.

AND FOR THE BARGAIN HUNTERS OUT THERE...

Today, I set my bargain-hunting skills into motion again, and I found a gold material that exactly matches the gold in the vest I spoke of earlier that I intended to make into a bodice. The gold fabric was $2.24 per yard ($2.75 per yard cheaper than I had found online) at Walmart, and is perfect for the cuffs on my white jacket.

I bought 5 yards of trim that was $0.44/yard--to make the button holes on the jacket. I also found 30 excellent gold/ivory anchor buttons on ebay, which I purchased for $3. These are very beautiful buttons, and will look wonderful with my white and gold ensemble. I also purchased some iron-on hem tape, which will take some of the tedious hand work out of some of my gear.

I also experimented with a bit of the 50+ yards of lace that I bought for $6 at Goodwill. I sewed it into a gather (YES! I said SEWED--believe it or not, I did not HOT GLUE...this time!) and made perfect lace cuffs for a jacket sleeve or a chemise trim!

I intend to stitch the lace cuffs inside the ends of the sleeves of a black velvet frock coat that I intend to wear at the PIP festival. Yeah...so, sue me. I'm hot natured, and I don't want to wear a long sleeved chemise underneath that thick velvet! So, I'm cheating. I'm wearing a short sleeved chemise and stitched on cuffs...just to make it look like I'm warmer than I will be. That outfit will probably be reserved for the air-conditioned areas, since I have matching (lined) non-stretch black velvet pants.

Hope my ideas helped.

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

Cap'n Elizabeth- Size 9-1/2 feet? Why thems be weeeeeeeeeeeeee li'l tootsies in me book! I be sportin' gunboats of size 11! ARRRRRRRRRR!!

...and fer all ye' men who don't know yer shoe size from a hole in the ground, a women's size 11 be equivalent to a men's 9.

Tales and Capt. W.: You might want to take a look at Champion Attitude Boots. They offer wide and large sizes.

In their Costume Boot section, they offer both "Pirate" and "Swashbuckler" boots.

The "Pirate" model does not look especially "piratey" to me, but the "Swashbuckler" does. The "Pirate" goes for $250. They offer both a standard "Swashbuckler" for $250 and a Custom for $300. I'm not at all clear what the difference is, as they both appear to be customizable.

For EE or EEE on the Swashbuckler, it is $25.00 extra.

The Swashbuckler comes with a 2" heel standard--there are a number of options, but again there is an extra fee.

The inside of the cuff is standard in suede. Again, smooth will cost extra.

Please note, this is in no sense an endorsement. I've never done business with these folks nor do I know anyone who has.

Aye, if ya want the lasses swoonin' over ya lad, then ya need to be dressed piratically proper-like (and yer right -- wearing some of Claire's clothing ain't gonna git ya very far in that department).

For merchants of ready made costuming, or tailors that kin made something special fer ya, see our list at:

http://noquartergiven.net/merchant.htm

Look under the "costuming/period clothing" section. Also look for clothing under the "living history" section. And we have a special section for footwear merchants.

If you are a do-it-yerselfer (all self respectin' sailors, which is what pirates are truly, were handy with the needle) then you'll also find merchants under those two sections that sell patterns and period yard goods and trims.

You might also want to get a copy of No Quarter Given's "Pyrate Prymer" -- there's a lot of good costuming information there, whether you just need to know what the proper look is, or if ya need to know how to create such fer yerself. There's more costuming articles in many of our back issues as well (how to build a baldric, etc.).

To obtain the Pyrate Prymer - tis only $5 plus s/h -- see: http://www.noquartergiven.net/collection.htm

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"If you can't dress like a pirate, why dress at all?"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Claire/TalesOfTheSevenSeas:

Don't worry about your size 11's. My grandfather used to tell me that feet were the sign of a good foundation. It helps in hand to hand combat as well. How tall are you? I'm 5'9" or 5'10"!

:rolleyes:

Capt. WE Roberts

Thanks for the Champion Attitude site- Looks like it would work, but I'm afraid we'd have to customize it right out of our price range. But basically, that is exactly what I'm looking for, but without the upcharges. By the time I put on a rounded toe, low heel and wide width, we were well over $300. But that's the idea!!

Elizabeth, I'm 5'-10" tall. An Amazon pirate wench!!!