A Wonderful Find

I was in Colonial Williamsburg, VA a few weeks back for work and during my afternoon off I stummbled upon a used bookstore called "Mermaid Books" in the basement of one of the shops there. There were just stacks of old books and I came across this perfect collection!

Salt Water Poems and Ballads by John Masefield and illustrated by Chas Pears published in 1916. Great condition!

Here are the contents, if anyone would like the words to any of these let me know, I'll post 'em.

Ballads:

The Yarn of the 'Loch Achray'

Sing a Song o' Shipwreck

Burial Party

Bill

Fever Ship

Fever-chills

One of the Bo'sun's Yarns

Hell's Pavement

Sea-Change

Harbour Bar

The Turn of the Tide

One of Wally's Yarns

A Valedication (Liverpool Docks)

A Night at Dago Tom's

Port of Many Ships

Cape Horn Gospel I and II

Mother Carey

Evening - Regatta Day

A Valediction

A Pier-Head Chorus

The Golden City of St. Mary

Trade Winds

Sea-Fever

A Wanderer's Song

Cardigan Bay

Christmas Eve at Sea

A Ballad of Cape St. Vincent

The Tarry Buccaneer

A Ballad of John Silver

Lyrics from 'The Buccaneer'

D'Avalos' Prayer

Sea Pictures- From Philip the King, From Dauber, From Biography

Poems:

The Ship and Her makers

The New Beadford Whaler

Cargoes

Captain Stratton's Fancy

Third Mate

Posted as Missing

Ships

Roadways

The "Wanderer"

The River

I was familar with Sea-Fever and the Ballad of John Silver, but a lot of these I hadn't come across before. Make for great reading!

Pyrate M

-Miranda Smythe-

Owner and Proprietor of The Flying Jib, a bar for the more questionable Seawitch and Wizard.

Fictional Bric-a-Brac

Are these songs and poems traditional. What I mean to say is are they public domain or do they belong to someone else? If the authors of the book wrote them then I might be interested in a vague way. If these are collected traditional sea farin' words, then post as many as you want. I'm always looking for lyrics to write music to. I'm lazy and don't always like to come up with my own lyrics.

-blackeye susan

they're not traditional exactly. John Masefield were the British poet laureate in the 60's I believe. But they're written like they could be traditional. Inna style o' ballads an' such. But eloquent love songs ta the sea an' ships an' that vanishin' way o' life. I'm writin' a tune fer sea fever meself.